Injustice 2

Ghost13
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Captain Marvel (Shazam)

Re: Injustice 2

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:56 am

[quote=The_GD_Patman post_id=134104 time=1532057350 user_id=4580]
[quote=Ghost13 post_id=134091 time=1532030689 user_id=902]
[quote=eurongreyo post_id=134081 time=1532017595 user_id=4560]
Anyone knows how many issues will Injustice 2 have? I hope a lot more because I really like what Tom is doing in that series.
[/quote]

No idea, but I hope they get to the stuff that takes place after the second game fast if they really make the Superman ending canon like in the crossover.
[/quote]

Ok, having just read it, this is an interesting beginning. But I'm not sure if it meant to be canon to that world, or something like an elseworld. Do we know how long this run will last?
[/quote]

Could be an Elseworld. Guess we'll only know once the other comic reveals which ending is canon in it. The crossover will only last six issues.
1 x
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

― H.P. Lovecraft

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:01 am

Has anone read the Injustice 2 second Annual? Its so fucking good. I hope DC gives Taylor some major book.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:17 pm

I read the annual. Aside from some laughable Catwoman parts (but those are par for the course at this point), the book was fantastic. This is one of the best depictions of the relationship between Bruce and Clark that I've seen. Almost flawless. I can't stress enough how much Tom Taylor truly gets the DC universe on a level that very few writers share in today's mainstream.

The last few pages between Bruce and Clark were especially poignant. I feel no shame admitting that I chocked up reading Bruce's apology to Clark. That was such an important scene that should've been shown a long time ago. It was such a humanizing moment for both of them, and it puts the whole story under a different light. Tom Taylor did a magnificent work enhancing and improving on the game's story.
1 x

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:30 pm

Yeah, I have to admit my eyes got a bit watery at the end there. Amazing writing by Taylor.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:32 pm

Was it really that good? I was reading the reviews when I came across this comment on Batman News;
99% sure it's just me, but I not happy with the way they portray batman here. In fact, this is a thing not exclusive to this issue, but also through this whole book.

Batman is treated like a child whose vision of the world is black and white because some sort of naivety or stubbornness.
" It's that combination of running away into the shadows whenever you don't like something, and intimidating everyone around you" I mean, Kent seems like it's describing a child who can't accept the reality of the world around him.
"I'm betting you don't get a lot of hard truth directed your way" What the fuck?! His childhood was destroyed completly, forcing him to grow up and mature a lot faster than most people expect. " They taught me the world only makes sense, when you force it to"
Then, Kent proceeds to explain to Bruce that the reason he will never scare Kent is because he and Martha set boundaries to Clark? So Thomas and Martha Wayne didn't do this? The nerve of these people...

"Clark didn't need forgiveness. He just needed his friend to understand" Fuck you. Bruce lost Jason because of the joker, he lost his parents because of a punk with a gun, if there is one thing he understands is to be compelled by a rage so strong you just want to kill that person.

Do you know what else makes Batman look like a child? This:
" He took a life", " Justice must be served"
It's like he can only say that but has nothing to back up. He just keep saying this over and over and people just think he is stupid or stubborn. Just go look in the other issues, almost anyone who confronts him in a moral debate wins because he just doesn't argue back.
So what do you guys think I haven't read the issue yet so I can't say. I feel he is somewhat right, Batman is 100% in the right in the Injustice-verse so in order to make his side of the conflict look weak they normally throw ad hominems at him while he doesn't respond, hell it happens in the regular DC Universe sometimes.
0 x

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:43 am

I think what that person doesnt understand is Clark and Bruce arent the same person. Tragedy hits different people in different ways. What happened to Lois was the first tragedy Clark ever experienced in that universe and it broke him. Bruce was hardened by his parents deaths so when Joker did all the shit he did it was too late to go about killing him cuz he was already set in his ways of not killing. Thats just my take on it. I guess the best thing is for you to read it yourself and form your own oppinion.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:16 pm

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:32 pm
Was it really that good? I was reading the reviews when I came across this comment on Batman News;

So what do you guys think I haven't read the issue yet so I can't say. I feel he is somewhat right, Batman is 100% in the right in the Injustice-verse so in order to make his side of the conflict look weak they normally throw ad hominems at him while he doesn't respond, hell it happens in the regular DC Universe sometimes.
Injustice has always had a huge issue when it came to exploring Bruce's side of the argument. Both the games and the comics pretty much failed at justifying Bruce's position, despite how easy it should be given the fact that he's right. So does the annual remedy or at least alleviate this issue in anyway ? Kind of, but the book also attempts to shift the focal point of the story from the crimes that Superman's committed to Bruce's failure to be there for Clark when he lost Lois.

Now there are so many thing to discuss with Injustice's story, but to me personally I don't think I would change a thing about the story or the way the characters acted. Clark's murder of the Joker and Bruce's refusal to understand him are both believable portrayals in my opinion as both are neither gods nor are perfect. The issue in the Injustice universe is that both Bruce and Clark held the other to an impossible standard. Bruce saw Clark as the best of humanity, a belief that got completely shattered with Clark's murder of the Joker. Clark similarly saw Bruce as a personal hero who can almost do no wrong, so when Bruce failed to offer any sympathy after Lois' death Clark felt betrayed by his closest friend and hero.

Very few heroes have gone through what Bruce's gone through, so expecting everyone to have the same kind of resolve as Bruce is unrealistic. Of course the story does downplay that fact, most likely due to DC's constant fear of people shouting "BATGOD", but the point is still there. Bruce's lines about how "this is justice" were not said with any kind of real conviction. They were pretty much attempts by Bruce to rationalize the war he waged against Clark, and in a way a justification for him not being there for his friend when he needed him the most.

That's basically what the annual is trying to say. It doesn't try to absolve Clark of his crimes, but it does contemplate the question of how differently the events might've played out if Bruce was more understanding of the hurting Clark. Pa Kent pretty much lays it out that way. The issue with Injustice is that it constantly had other characters criticize Bruce as if he was in the wrong, without examining the other side of the argument, which does give the impression of bias.

So in the end, if you can't get past the story's somewhat biased representation of the two sides, even if it eventually relents and admits that Bruce is ultimately right, this annual is unlikely to change your mind. However, if you could look past it (as I've been doing), you'll find what's probably is one of the single issues dedicated to Bruce's and Clark's friendship, even as it remains beyond repair.
0 x

ISAK
Titan

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:58 pm

While the characterizations, relationships, and the friendship between Superman and Batman were well written, i've to side with ThatOneGuy here. This is not the first instance where both the games and the comics tried to place some of the blame for what happened on Bruce, both by blaming him for what the Joker did to Superman and Metropolis as a whole, and by blaming him for not supporting Superman as a friend following it thus making him a contributing factor to what lead Superman to become a despot later on. This is in part a general trend of the franchise of trying to alleviate Superman's image as a villain. They did the same with Wonder Woman by trying to put the blame on her by implying she manipulated Superman into become increasingly worse and worse. Everyone's to be blamed, but Superman. Of course, they can't alleviate Superman's image entirely, but the attempt is there to mitigate things.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:06 pm

As I've said, you can either look past the obvious bias the comics and games show for Superman and enjoy the good in the story, or you can't, which is fair in my opinion. I too have expressed my annoyance with how Injustice handled Bruce's character and that hasn't changed. That however doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the good that the story accomplishes. In short to me personally the bad doesn't outweigh the good, which is similar to my feelings regarding White Knight.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 pm

How about we just get rid of the bias then isn't that an option? Why is the burden on us to overlook the obvious bias presented not only in Injustice but in DC as a whole? How can you appreciate their friendship if it is so blatantly one-sided? The same thing applies to SMWW, I guess DC expects us to just accept their "relationship" as onesided all the time and guess what? Most people have so I guess we should just accept the bias one-sidedness of Superman's relationship with both Batman and Wonder woman.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 pm

I meant the bias in representing the Regime and the Insurgency in Injustice, not that the relationship between Bruce and Clark itself was misrepresented. Even in Injustice, whenever we're shown a flashback of how things were between Bruce and Clark prior to everything going wrong, their relationship played out great. I don't think the friendship between Bruce and Clark is one-sided at all, or at least it shouldn't be, and we have many examples of it being written superbly. SMWW is a different matter entirely.

The "World's Finest" is too iconic a concept to be completely scrapped, and I don't think it needs to if it was handled with any kind of competence. SMWW on the other hand is an unsalvageable trash, there's no comparing the two.

I still suggest reading the annual. All I was trying to say is that if you go into it expecting things you disliked about the Injustice comic to be fixed then you will most likely be disappointed. However looking past the same old pitfalls that plagued the comics since it's inception, you will find some of the strongest writing in any book DC is publishing today. So it's on you to weigh the two sides and decide if it's for you.
0 x