Brian Bendis' SUPERMAN: 'LEVIATHAN RISING' event

ISAK
Titan

Brian Bendis' SUPERMAN: 'LEVIATHAN RISING' event

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Is anyone else weird'd out by Talia al Ghul and her Leviathan being the big enemies of a Superman focused cross-over event?

Also, what do you guys feel about that Greg Rucka & Steve Lieber's Lois Lane ongoing and Matt Fraction & Mike Perkins' Jimmy Olsen ongoing?
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Re: Brian Bendis' SUPERMAN: 'LEVIATHAN RISING' event

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:23 pm

As a concept, I don't mind it at all, the same way I wouldn't mind seeing Bruce take on Lex, or Diana taking on Poison Ivy. I've always been a huge proponent of writers utilizing the entire roster of characters in their stories, regardless of where they originate from. DC has always been far behind Marvel in truly integrating the different component that make up the DCU together to form a single whole cohesive universe. All of these characters inhibit the same world, so why are they prohibited from interacting together unless under special circumstances ? This is a very Marvel thing to do, and of course it comes from Bendis. This the kind of thing I was hoping to see when Bendis was announcing to be jumping ship. He's been doing something similar with his Walmart Batman story, which turned into a space buddy cop story with Bruce and Hal.

With that being said, here's hoping that DC doesn't use this as another chance to further disassociate Talia from Bruce. I know DC loves to throw Talia at every character not named Batman just to boost Catwoman's status, but I'm expecting better from Bendis in that regard. That's of course unless DC told him to deliberately portray her as a crazy b@%ch, in which case DC can go screw itself.

A Lois solo written by Rucka sounds great. Not sure if it's a mini or an actual on-going, but my money is on the former. A Jimmy Olson book on the other hand is quite the head scratcher, and by Matt Fraction no less. That seems like quite the waste of talent to be honest, so I'll assume they have a really good reason to greenlight this. I'm slightly intrigued to see what they intend to do with Jimmy.
0 x

ISAK
Titan

Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:16 pm

I'm sorry, ARB.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 pm

ISAK wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:16 pm
I'm sorry, ARB.
God damn it. As someone who loved Talia at some point, it just infuriates me how much DC completely destroyed her character. Knowing it was all done in order to discredit her as a love interest to Bruce makes it all the more infuriating. Sure, the Cat burglar who started off as a prostitute is too pure and faithful to be touched by anyone, but the disciplined assassin who not only genuinely loved Batman, but also bore him a son, is a loose harlot who resorts to rape. Sure DC, whatever keeps your precious BatCat safe.
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:18 am

I get the feeling that that is a joke, like saying something outrageous because you know that the person you are talking to is not listening.
0 x
FU DC

ISAK
Titan

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:29 pm

I don't think so, DaisyJane, but it could be. I'll be posting in full so it's a bit clearer.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Nothing really outrageous about banging Talia, everybody has been doing it you see. It's not even that I have an issue with sexually active people, but that's not what DC is doing with Talia. They're deliberately devaluing everything that she's ever had with Bruce, including freakin Damian, by having her willing to sleep at the drop of a hat to accomplish her goals. That paints her entire relationship with Bruce as manipulative, on top of the whole rape thing they retconned into it. They want to present Talia as the easy, loose woman who's corrupted on every level, just to make Selina look good in comparison, and they're still not satisfied with all the damage they've done to her.

King even felt the need to drag her into his crappy book just to have Catwoman humiliate her in a sword fight, the thing Talia excels at, while having her claim that she's never touched a sword before just to add insult to injury. The vendetta these morons have against Talia just because writers dared to explore a relationship between her and Bruce is so amazingly petty. Thank god neither Diana or Zee actually got together with Bruce pre N52, who knows what those vindictive assholes would've done to them. I don't even blame Bendis for this, as this has been going on for years now.
0 x

ISAK
Titan

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:46 am

Brian Michael Bendi made it clear on Twitter that he plans to show more about the relationship between Talia and Jimmy, surely he will them have a sentimental relationship. In addition to that Jimmy Olsen will have an individual series by Matt Fraction, as we all know.

So it feels that DC is really trying to keep Batman and Talia as separate as possible.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:51 pm

Man, Talia's trajectory as a character is just amazing, amazingly bad. A lot of people want to lay all the blame at Morrison's feet but it all started long before Morrison. Talia and other female characters like Diana seem to get the same treatment. Whenever a writer wants to legitimize a character as Batman's equal they bang Talia, Bane did, so did Slade and Azreal. Very weird.
0 x

ISAK
Titan

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:27 am

A preview of SUPERMAN #9 was released on the internet and in one of the pages, that depict the future, Brian Bendis once again showed Jimmy Olsen and Talia al Ghul as a serious couple.
A little more closely- Jimmy, Talia, and their son:
And here's also the Bat-Family, with Catwoman glued to Batman and a certain little girl (obviously Helena Wayne) as Robin next to them:
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Bendis is really seriously pushing this idea. Comics can be so weird sometimes. King and Bendis will be the death of DC Comics IMO. The BatCat pandering is there too, of course, he has to appease the right crowd.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Man, it really does amaze me how adamant DC is about BatCat. It's like there is no cosmic force strong enough to change the reality of things as they currently stand. DC will push BatCat and Catwoman until the bitter end. Nothing seems to be deterring them at all, and they're willing to butcher and ruin any other character that stands in the way.

This seriously might be the death of the Batman that I love, forever doomed to be second fiddle to garbage character who will never be able to come into her own, and therefore will forever have her claws hooked into Batman in order to drag her along, and people love it. So Talia, the MOTHER of Bruce's child, and freakin' Jimmy Olson are allowed to become a thing, but Bruce could never get away from Catwoman ? Jesus this is making my blood boil. Seriously fuck DC, and fuck whoever support this garbage. Oh and fuck Bendis too.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:08 pm

ARB wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:46 pm
Man, it really does amaze me how adamant DC is about BatCat. It's like there is no cosmic force strong enough to change the reality of things as they currently stand. DC will push BatCat and Catwoman until the bitter end. Nothing seems to be deterring them at all, and they're willing to butcher and ruin any other character that stands in the way.

This seriously might be the death of the Batman that I love, forever doomed to be second fiddle to garbage character who will never be able to come into her own, and therefore will forever have her claws hooked into Batman in order to drag her along, and people love it. So Talia, the MOTHER of Bruce's child, and freakin' Jimmy Olson are allowed to become a thing, but Bruce could never get away from Catwoman ? Jesus this is making my blood boil. Seriously fuck DC, and fuck whoever support this garbage. Oh and fuck Bendis too.
By our current laws Batman will become public domain sometime between 2031-2035. Some cool stuff might come from that.
Still you shouldn't give out hope. I was where you are now back when Grant Morrison was writing the character, and then Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV gave us Zero Year and it was awesome. Batman's a well loved character for millions of people, and that includes talented writers. Awesome Batman will come again.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:13 pm

I have my doubts that Batman will even become public domain. Disney keeps getting the law changed because they don't want to lose the exclusive rights to Mickey Mouse ( or any of their characters).
0 x
FU DC

ISAK
Titan

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Yeah. Batman, Superman, and so on will never enter public domain. Warner Bros would never let that happen.
0 x

no avatar
Lurker nomore
Teen Titan

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:24 am

It might happen keep on pissing off men no longer caring about popculture like they are doing now and pissing off people who vote conservative. Disney and Warner might lose the support of the demo to renew their copyright laws the way they are doing things now. People in all political leanings are starting to hate corportations especially those who control pop culture so if they continue what they are doing no one will even want to help them keep their copyrights at all If that occurs we might have crappy cartoons and comics but good ones to for everyones taste
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:54 am

Grendle1853 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:08 pm
By our current laws Batman will become public domain sometime between 2031-2035. Some cool stuff might come from that.
Still you shouldn't give out hope. I was where you are now back when Grant Morrison was writing the character, and then Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV gave us Zero Year and it was awesome. Batman's a well loved character for millions of people, and that includes talented writers. Awesome Batman will come again.
While I find it difficult to imagine feeling the way I feel now back during the era of Morrison's Batman, as Morrison's run on the character is one of my all times favorite, I do appreciate the sentiment, I really do. I know that going by DC's history things are bound to change, and that in a few more years once King is off the book, this will seem like a silly little time period in retrospect. However, I've been reading Batman for quite a long time, and things have never felt so bleak to me.

I feel that the Batman I love has been dying a slow death for a long time, and Tom King is merely the latest agent to continue DC's mission of changing the way people perceive Batman's character. I'm just afraid that the Batman I love will become a footnote or an outlier that only a few people remember. I'm hoping that whoever takes over the character next manages to course correct, but until then we have at least two more years of King's garbage to survive through.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:45 am

It it makes you feel better, I'm a huge Incredible Hulk fan, and long ago had to make piece with the fact that about every other writer was going to take the character in a direction I hate.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

ARB
Justice League

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:12 am

The thing that feels different to me here is how DC is trying its hardest to change what Batman meas as a character. The trash that King is putting out seems to be far more than just a single hack writer doing his thing and moving on, but more of a part of a concentrated effort on DC's end to push a specific interpretation of the character on people. It's feels like they're trying to change what a definitive Batman story means, and that worries me.

This is unlike what happens at Marvel, where the characters are always in constant flux and change anyway, that each writer is all but guaranteed to do something radically different with the characters. That's not how DC does things however, with them frequently enforcing editorial mandates that limit creators in order to maintain and push specific ideas. E.g. Batman with BatCat being pushed on writers and not allowing them to do anything that might hurt it.

Speaking of Hulk, are you reading the current Immortal Hulk run ? I hear it's very good, and it's been receiving a lot of praise. Not to say that means much but it's the only thing I have to go on as someone who's not following the book.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:05 pm

Who's idea was it to hire Bendis at DC anyway? Seriously, it's such a weird decision to hire the architect of modern Marvel to work for DC especially at such a crucial time in DC's history. It would have made more sense to hire Waid back or something. Bendis just doesn't jive well with DC and even if they were dead set on hiring him they should have given him a book like The Question not one of the main DC books.

Then again they did hire King from Marvel after he wrote a single book about a secondary character. Sometimes I feel as if Marvel is running a sabotage campaign against DC and King and Bendis are just double agents or something.
0 x