Is DC Comics dying?

ISAK
Titan

Is DC Comics dying?

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:05 am

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02/16 ... he-new-22/
Things doesn't look good for the publisher, AT ALL.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Re: Is DC Comics dying?

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:27 pm

All comics are dying. They are dying because the big two have been actively pushing away their older fan base while utterly failing at attracting a new one. People who are interested in reading Batman comics are going to spend money on ones where Batman is a miserable bitch who is hopeless without Catwoman. Its gotten even worse recently, what jackass approved of a superhero comic series all about heroes going to therapy? All that is still nothing though when compared to some of the crap Marvel has been putting out. You know a few years ago I posted a comment on a Marvel thread about a new comic when I complained that one of their new comics at the time that I bought seriously lacked the superhero in it doing superhero things, when some slacked-jawed idiot had the audacity to comment, "What do you mean about Superhero things?" Thats the current era in a nut shell, writers thinking that fans of superhero comics pay good money to read about smug assholes sitting around drinking coffee.
1 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:37 pm

ISAK wrote:
Did I get this article correct? They want to EXPAND the Wal-Mart reprint issues that are underperforming? And it's simply due to... what? the perceived visibility? Seems to me that trying to get comics back into places like CVS, Rite aid or Walgreen would be better and it's more akin to the avenue that helped make comics profitable at their peak.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:55 am

The_GD_Patman wrote:
ISAK wrote:
Did I get this article correct? They want to EXPAND the Wal-Mart reprint issues that are underperforming? And it's simply due to... what? the perceived visibility? Seems to me that trying to get comics back into places like CVS, Rite aid or Walgreen would be better and it's more akin to the avenue that helped make comics profitable at their peak.
Not necessarily a bad strategy but not a good one right now. The whole medium is slowly falling but DC especially is falling due to poor management and bad storytelling. It's like the people running DC don't understand their own fans and what makes comics such a unique and endearing medium. Sometimes I wonder if DC will ever bounce back or it Rebirth was just a dead cat bounce.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:27 pm

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:55 am
The_GD_Patman wrote:
ISAK wrote:
Not necessarily a bad strategy but not a good one right now. The whole medium is slowly falling but DC especially is falling due to poor management and bad storytelling. It's like the people running DC don't understand their own fans and what makes comics such a unique and endearing medium. Sometimes I wonder if DC will ever bounce back or it Rebirth was just a dead cat bounce.
Haha well the fiscal issues in DC are more easily managed than the narrative ones. DC is in a weird spit where they take all the criticism of their movies to heart and completely ignored the points brought against their books. And both mediums have suffered due to their over/non reaction.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

ISAK
Titan

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:13 pm

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02/21 ... ing-comics
Dan DiDio, publisher of DC Comics, has taken to the stump at ComicsPRO, the comics retailer advocacy group meeting being held in Charlotte, North Carolina for the next few days.

We may get a fuller report later. But the headline is that DC Comics is cutting the number of titles they sell through the direct market of comic stores. Bleeding Cool had heard rumours, dubbed ‘The New 22’, and DiDio directly denied that number in his speech in Charlotte today.

However, he did tell retailers that DC Comics would be cutting their publishing numbers back, by a further ten to fifteen percent, as that’s what he believes the market can bear.

He also believes that Diamond Comic Distributors are distributing too many comic books to comic stores right now, diluting sales for individual issues across the board. He didn’t mention Marvel Comics, but I’m told that seemed implicit.

Bleeding Cool has previously noted how different creators have fiefdoms within DC Comics and it seems that DiDio feels the same, wanting a greater connective tissue between comic books at DC Comics and wanting creators to work well together. Possibly more than they are right now.

DiDio took full responsibility for the Batman Damned #3 cancellation-and-resolicitation issue, saying he hadn’t approved of the content/artwork as it would be published, necessitating a further delay. What changes may have been made were not detailed.

DiDio acknowledged unrest regarding the comics industry right now, but asked comic book retailers not to share their complaints about DC Comics – or others – with their customers. Rather, to hold themselves to a higher standard than the fans.

But he stated that DC Comics have better comic books than their rivals because they pay their creators higher page rates than Marvel. I know there has been some disquiet about that as well of late, looks like DiDio is doubling down.

Anyone seen this?
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:43 pm

Didio doesn't seem to be getting what he is paying for because DC Comics completely suck at the moment. I am very concerned about the health of the industry. DC is just killing its self. I just don't see a way out. DC needs to make a complete 180 something I just don't see happening under current management.
0 x

ISAK
Titan

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:50 pm

Didio telling retailers to keep faith in the publisher and ignore readers complaints, their consumers, is a real bad sign.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:07 am

0 x
― Grant Morrison

ARB
Justice League

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Is it weird that I feel both happy and melancholic at the same time ? I'm so pissed off at DC right now, that I genuinely want to see their whole operation crash and burn down to the ground, as irrational as that might be. At the same time, comics have been a huge part of my life for the better part of the past 20 years, and I just can't fathom seeing the whole industry imploding in on itself, because the morons at the top are too incompetent not to run their business to the ground.

All I want to see is Didio and Lee getting kicked off DC, and for King to never touch a comic book again. Marvel can sort its own s#&t out. I really can't imagine the comic book industry simply ceasing to exist, at least as far as the big two are concerned, but for the life of me I can't tell where it's heading to either. I have no idea where DC will be in 2-3 years from now, but I hope that it's a better place that where it's right now. Although I don't see that being the case as long as the likes of Didio continue to run the show.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:42 pm

ARB wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:41 pm
Is it weird that I feel both happy and melancholic at the same time ? I'm so pissed off at DC right now, that I genuinely want to see their whole operation crash and burn down to the ground, as irrational as that might be. At the same time, comics have been a huge part of my life for the better part of the past 20 years, and I just can't fathom seeing the whole industry imploding in on itself, because the morons at the top are too incompetent not to run their business to the ground.

All I want to see is Didio and Lee getting kicked off DC, and for King to never touch a comic book again. Marvel can sort its own s#&t out. I really can't imagine the comic book industry simply ceasing to exist, at least as far as the big two are concerned, but for the life of me I can't tell where it's heading to either. I have no idea where DC will be in 2-3 years from now, but I hope that it's a better place that where it's right now. Although I don't see that being the case as long as the likes of Didio continue to run the show.
I know what you mean. I'd imagine you have the same hope I maintain that perhaps dangling this close to oblivion would send them into an introspective turn that would have them correct course in the 11th hour and save themselves by reworking their universe in a manner more akin to their creative crescendo. But will they? One can only hope.
0 x
― Grant Morrison

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Here's something interesting to add:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02/28 ... GuELGeSiKI
0 x
― Grant Morrison

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:22 am

Very interesting and in-depth. Him calling out the quality of comics stood out to me for some reason. I think the quality of comics nowadays is one of the biggest reason comics don't sell. Yes comics are a niche market but a good story is a good story, I mean look at how many people buy great comics like DKR or Year One you can't tell me all of those sales were to the hardcore comic book base. Now I know DC won't be hitting Year One highs ever year but still, I think a quality product will sell.

Comics need Editors and IMO the medium needs continuity it's one of the unique selling points of comics IMO. DC is just completely off the rails at the moment no one knows what's happening and its a complete mess.

Now Diomand Distributors is a whole nother beast. I have never seen such a unique case of monopoly in my life it needs to reform or go.
0 x