Random 13. THE GREAT HORNED RAT!!!!

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Re: Random 13. THE GREAT HORNED RAT!!!!

Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:39 am

Ghost13 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:23 pm

Really been enjoying this series of book reviews. Wish they were watched by more people.
I need to read more Solomon Kane. Howard is one of my favorite authors already, mostly from his Conan stories.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

Ghost13
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Captain Marvel (Shazam)

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:07 am

Grendle1853 wrote:
Ghost13 wrote:

Really been enjoying this series of book reviews. Wish they were watched by more people.
I need to read more Solomon Kane. Howard is one of my favorite authors already, mostly from his Conan stories.
Whats your favourite Conan story Grendel? Mine is probably Tower of the Elephant. Do you like Metal, too? Then you´ll probably enjoy this -

I think its pretty awesome.
0 x
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

― H.P. Lovecraft

Grendle1853
Justice League

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:17 am

Ghost13 wrote:
Grendle1853 wrote:
Ghost13 wrote:

Whats your favourite Conan story Grendel? Mine is probably Tower of the Elephant. Do you like Metal, too? Then you´ll probably enjoy this -

Tower of the Elephant is real good. Despite it being my favorite story I can't for the life of me remember it's title, but it's the one where Conan becomes a general for the first time. It starts off with a Queen praying to her god (Mitra I think) to ask him how to save her Kingdom from this evil sorcerer who's leading an army against her, and her god actually appearing and telling her something like "Go out and the first man you run into make the leader of your army", and of course that guy is Conan. Some really great gems in that one. It is really killing me that I can't remember that one.
1 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:35 pm

Grendle1853 wrote:
Ghost13 wrote:
Grendle1853 wrote:

Tower of the Elephant is real good. Despite it being my favorite story I can't for the life of me remember it's title, but it's the one where Conan becomes a general for the first time. It starts off with a Queen praying to her god (Mitra I think) to ask him how to save her Kingdom from this evil sorcerer who's leading an army against her, and her god actually appearing and telling her something like "Go out and the first man you run into make the leader of your army", and of course that guy is Conan. Some really great gems in that one. It is really killing me that I can't remember that one.
If you like Tower of the Elephant, what do you think of the Battleroar song? :)

That scene you describe sounds familiar! But I can´t remember the name of the story, either. Perhaps I will search for it online later...

I am curious, if you like Conan, what do you think about Elric of Melniboné? Have you heard of him and read any of the stories?
Who do you think is the better Sword and Sorcery (Anti-)Hero? Personally I don´t think I like one better. They are both complete opposites of one another aside from both being great swordsmen (at least I think Elric is actually meant to be skilled, would have been interesting if he had no skill at swordplay at all and would rely completly on his runeblades inherent power because it would make them even more different, but I think there was a quote early on that he is great, possibly only surpassed by his cousin Yrkoon whom he defeats later) and thats kind of awesome.

And there is even Elric music, too. I espacially like this song. Hawkwind rock.

Last edited by Ghost13 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Ghost13
Justice League

Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:16 pm

Is the Exorcist show really that good? Might have to watch it then.
Spoiler: Show
After watching Hereditary I could really watch another good religious horror movie/show.
Apparently this film inspired the look of the Demon make up in the original Excorcist. Might have to watch that, too. Old Japanese movies are really good.

0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Ghost13
Justice League

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:58 pm

More Solomon Kane ^^ Guess I´ll have to read this story at some point.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Grendle1853
Justice League

Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:45 am

Ghost13 wrote:
Grendle1853 wrote:
Ghost13 wrote:

That scene you describe sounds familiar! But I can´t remember the name of the story, either. Perhaps I will search for it online later...

I am curious, if you like Conan, what do you think about Elric of Melniboné? Have you heard of him and read any of the stories?
Who do you think is the better Sword and Sorcery (Anti-)Hero? Personally I don´t think I like one better. They are both complete opposites of one another aside from both being great swordsmen (at least I think Elric is actually meant to be skilled, would have been interesting if he had no skill at swordplay at all and would rely completly on his runeblades inherent power because it would make them even more different, but I think there was a quote early on that he is great, possibly only surpassed by his cousin Yrkoon whom he defeats later) and thats kind of awesome.

The Battleroar song is pretty awesome , I'll probably try the Elric one later. Unfortunately the only real background I have on Elric is one really awesome crossover comic he has with Conan, but I keep meaning to read some of his stuff. Also the creator Elric purposely made Elric the opposite of Conan, so he's kind of like the Batman to Conan's Superman in that respect. Sword and Sorcery is an awesome genre, and while I thin the Anti-Hero in that story can be a bit tricky to get right, when it does it rocks.
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:19 am

Grendle1853 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:45 am
Ghost13 wrote:
Grendle1853 wrote:

The Battleroar song is pretty awesome , I'll probably try the Elric one later. Unfortunately the only real background I have on Elric is one really awesome crossover comic he has with Conan, but I keep meaning to read some of his stuff. Also the creator Elric purposely made Elric the opposite of Conan, so he's kind of like the Batman to Conan's Superman in that respect. Sword and Sorcery is an awesome genre, and while I thin the Anti-Hero in that story can be a bit tricky to get right, when it does it rocks.
Glad you like the song :)

You mean that really old comic with him and Elric wearing that stupid hat? :lol: Yeah, that one was pretty good. Didn´t finish reading it though for some reason. With have to start at the beginning all over again. Somehow I start reading comic storylines and never quite finish them because something new comes up. But at least I am enjoying comics again.
1 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Ghost13
Justice League

Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:38 am

0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Ghost13
Justice League

Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:53 pm

Has anyone here seen Midsommar? I think the idea of a cult who is light and welcoming at first glance instead of dark and scary is genius :) Maybe I get to adapt this for an rpg some day.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Darkknightsvengence
Justice League

Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:11 pm

0 x
Hail to the King Baby

Ghost13
Justice League

Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:08 pm

Great article about whether GoT is High or Low Fantasy. I always considered it Low to be honest, but now I am not too sure :)

https://fantasybookfanatic.com/is-game- ... h-fantasy/
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Ghost13
Justice League

Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:31 pm

0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Darkknightsvengence
Justice League

Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:23 pm

1 x
Hail to the King Baby

Ghost13
Justice League

Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:46 pm

0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:00 am

Funny how quickly shit can go from promising in the near future to nuked from orbit.

Those plans I had of strengthening, building and remodeling the house i currently reside in have fallen through. What survived the earthquake did not survive zoning regulations and a stratospheric rise in prices for materials and contractors, and even empty houses for sale, afterwards.

Add to that some personal and interpersonal drama with my immediate and near-immediate family and I went from square 3 to square 0 in a matter of a few months.

I've been on the edge of a rage and mental breakdown for so long and expended way too much willpower just to keep that in check, even my wife says she's never seen me like this before and we've been together for over 12 years. She's not in a particularly better mental state than I am either.

Yaaaay...
1 x

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:15 am

I am so sorry you are going through some bad stuff but I truly hope it gets better. Sometimes we have to go back to square one to find better plan. And sometimes we have to get the rage out to get there. I truly wish you the best. Remember what you have already come through and know you can get through this too.
0 x
FU DC

Grendle1853
Justice League

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:19 am

I hope you make it out of your situation alright man, I'm offlay sorry for you dude.
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:48 am

Sounds like you are in an awful state of mind right now. Hope it gets better fast.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Ghost13
Justice League

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:45 am

Lol those Ring Wraiths scared me as a child as well.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft