Totally Random Part 14

Ghost13
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Captain Marvel (Shazam)

Re: Totally Random Part 14

Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:21 pm

Grendle1853 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:02 pm
Ghost13 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:34 pm
More 80s goodness, a funny critique of East Germany by Udo Lindenberg

And a another random song from him that I kinda like -

Is David Hasselhoff really a popular musician over that, or is that a stereotype?
Lol, I think he was really huge in the 80´s and the older generation still likes him, mainly because of Knight Rider not necessarily because of musical talent I think. Used to think that was embarrasing, but then he did a song for Guardians of the Galaxy and it is pretty awesome -

Don´t hassle the Hoff.
1 x
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

― H.P. Lovecraft

Ghost13
Justice League

Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:29 pm

The trope is named for Norm MacDonald's punchline during his "Weekend Update" sketches on Saturday Night Live, which he'd go out of his way to include. David Hasselhoff, the Baywatch actor/producer, who was popular in Germany for his work as a singer in the late 1980s/early 1990s, particularly for being in the right place at the right time doing the right thing, which was being in Berlin at the fall of the wall promoting his new album via a concert tour, which included a popular song he had changed to be about peace and togetherness; he has had seven albums go platinum there. It's also the case that Germans in particular tend to be positively disposed towards anyone with a German name; for example at one time they were very big on English crooner Arnold Dorsey, who used the stage name Engelbert Humperdinck. (Hasselhoff's popularity has since waned, however, though Dirk Nowitzki, flag-bearer for Germany in the 2008 Summer Olympics and NBA star, claims he hums Hasselhoff songs at the free throw line)
Tv Tropes says he became popular for having freedom/love lyrics during reunification. I guess Baywatch and Knight Rider also played a big role.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... Hasselhoff
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Chaosmob
Site Admin
Justice League Membership: Plastic Man

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:05 am

Love that video!!!
0 x
Can I have one more day? Every one I have left. My life is yours.
League membership: Plastic Man

Ghost13
Justice League

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:33 am

Chaosmob wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:05 am
Love that video!!!
Its a great song, right? Absolutely celebrated it when it played during the end credits of Guardians 2. Espacially the part about bringing a baby into battle and the description of Rocket having "no people skills, but is good with motors".
1 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:40 am

Having just beat ME3 again, if they're planning on Shepard coming back as the main character in ME4, I have an idea...

"Shepard," Liara whispers, causing the Commander to wake with a start.

"Liara...what happened? The Reapers...?" Commander Shepard stammers out.

"All dead, you did it," the Asari answers.

"That means the Geth and...EDI..." the wounded Commander says, mournfully.

"EDI is fine, Shepard, and a great deal of Geth survived the battle," the Shadow Broker explains.

"But...the choice I made to kill the Reapers...," Shepard says, confused.

"We've scanned your brain Shepard, and we believe that the Reapers were attempting to Indocternate you. I don't know what you saw, but according to the surveillance footage on the Crucible several Citadel Keepers were attempting to sabotage the weapon, then you came up behind them and shot them all to death," she tells the Commander.

"Heh...guess that makes more sense then a super weapon being activated by shooting a power node..."
1 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

Chaosmob
Site Admin

Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:23 am

Oh a new ME game is coming out? Maybe they will either bring back Shepard or start a hold new character and arc. I could see them maybe doing a trying to rebuild the relays story line. Haven't played Andromeda so I don't know if they already did that. ME3 really left a bad taste for the whole series so that is why I've never played Andromeda.
0 x

Chaosmob
Site Admin

Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:27 am

Just watched the teaser, damn I hope he is back. I will be playing that game for sure!!
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:52 am

Chaosmob wrote:
Oh a new ME game is coming out? Maybe they will either bring back Shepard or start a hold new character and arc. I could see them maybe doing a trying to rebuild the relays story line. Haven't played Andromeda so I don't know if they already did that. ME3 really left a bad taste for the whole series so that is why I've never played Andromeda.
Andromeda is a complete side-quel. Has all but nothing to do with the original. The whole story is about an expedition sent to the Andromeda galaxy so that someone survives if the Reapers killoff the Milky way.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:36 am

MTVCCVC wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:52 am
Chaosmob wrote:
Andromeda is a complete side-quel. Has all but nothing to do with the original. The whole story is about an expedition sent to the Andromeda galaxy so that someone survives if the Reapers killoff the Milky way.
Yeah and it is just a mess. It gets basic stuff about the series wrong, as apparently despite leaving before the Reapers show up they don't need Relays to travers around a Galaxy.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:42 pm

I moved the Trumps stuff to the politics thread. Can we please try to keep the Random thread politics free. Thanks.
1 x
FU DC

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:01 am

Who knew this would become a meme?
1 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:05 am

MTVCCVC wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:01 am
Who knew this would become a meme?
It's a great line :D
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 am

Useful tech suggestions:

XtremeMac® Premium Magnetic USB C Adapter for Apple MacBook, iPad and Other USB-C Devices, Quick Charge Function 100 W, Data Transfer 10 Gbps, 20 Pin
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07NVRFRZK/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

https://xtrememac.com/shop/magnetic-type-c-adapter/

This little gadget is a rather useful magnetic adapter to a USB-C cable and port on your laptop or smartphone. Despite the name "XtremeMac" and most of the promotional material showing an iMac, it works on all USB-C devices, like android smartphones, laptops and even USB-C charging powerbanks.

I've tested it out on multiple device I run, both private and work, and it has made my stuff much more flexible. If you have a more modern phone charger that has 45W or 65W, you can charge your laptop and phone on the same brick.
The magnetic part works great, though it is best if you have a not too rigid USB-C cable. I've tested it on a USB-C input cable on a monitor with a second monitor in a daisy-chain as well as on a single 3440x1440p monitor via USB-C and it works like a charm.
Full power delivery, display signal and USB hubs in the monitor passing through the keyboard, mouse, webcam and even gig-ethernet adapter.

It's a way to maintain the USB-C port on yyour device as you no longer insert and retract the plug over and over. you insert the adapter once and atach and detach the magnetic adapter on the cable to it for then on.
it's not cheap, certainly not in Croatia, but it might be better in other markets, and it in't an essential bit of kit, bu if you have the cash, it can useful and make some things easier.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:46 pm

My wife is currently tasked with being a sports animator for the grade school kids of our city for two weeks at a small resort on the adriatic coast.

My son, I and her brother have tagged along and are with her for the duration. It's not per se a vacation for me, given the circumstances, but at least i get to not be at work and visit the coast.

Considering how shitty things are in many aspects of life these days, i have to say i find myself really enjoying being awake at 03:00 in the morning, gazing at the full moon, the moonlit see and listening to the hum of the waves, getting lost in the moment and forgetting about everything else for a spell.

Sometimes it really is the simple things in life...
1 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:41 am

A build pf Windows 11 was leaked and not that long after, there was an anouncment.

Looks interesting and I'm not sure i like the iOS-effication.
Also, microsoft seems to have claimed that it is designed "with touch users in mind"...

So they are building another goddamn windows 8, ffs.
You'd think they"d learn at some point, but i guess following the pattern of great release (XP, 7, 10) and then shitty release (Vista, 8) and then great release is their thing now...
0 x

Chaosmob
Site Admin

Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:49 am

I've switched to Linux a few years ago and I'm extremely happy with that. Updates in a minute or so for a minor to major update. My old windows 10 would take half an hour to an hour to update their new crap.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:18 am

I'd love to, but I'm too involved in the windows ecosystem.

I've tried ubuntu and linux mint for a bit and love how it works and if i was to transfer to a linux distro for real, I'd probably go with Pop! OS, but I can't really get away from Outlook and OneDrive.

I know there's ways to make at least OneDrive work, though it requires a bit of effort.

I'm pretty much locked to windows for work and I use a lot of fingerprint scanners and stuff that just doesn't have the driver support on linux.

I'm probably going to build a exclusively linux machine at some point, but right now running windows and linux simultaneously is just not possible for me, outside of VM's that is.
0 x

Chaosmob
Site Admin

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:29 pm

Yeah, for office work windows really is the best. I'm using Ubuntu myself since I'm use to it. Heard positive things about Mint, haven't heard of Pop! until now. You really don't a very powerful computer for linux. Have a very old spare laptop that I use for testing crap out and it runs fabulous.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:07 pm

I've only very recently heard much about Pop! myself and one thing I really like about it is that it seems to be made for gaming from the ground up, as opposed to ubuntu and mint where you have to install a bunch of crap on your own.

I currently run 2 laptops, both my work laptops. One is a Dell Latitude 7390 with touchscreen and one is an ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14. That second one was a reward of sorts and I use it for both work and pleasure. Our ecosystem at work is pretty much locked to windows and I'm a network and sys admin, so I don't really have a lot of freedom to tinker outside of windows there.

I've got a private laptop taht's basically gathering dust now that I've got the ROG and I've got a desktop that's my main PC at home. If I was to shift to a linux build on one of those, it'd probably be that one.
It will really come down to OneDrive compatibility with linux and finding a good alternative to outlook if I was to shift over that main desktop to linux.

I've also got a nice little HTPC/console emulatro/old game machine hooked up to my TV built on an Asrock Deskmini X300. At some point, I might shift that one over to linux, but for the time being it is simpler to keep it on windows so the wife can use it too.

I'm going to be building 2 virtualizations platforms with baremetal hyper-v's, one in a midi tower box that's going to be my home server/domain. Gonna try and see what I can build on it and tinker with it. Probably gonna try and make a NAS on one of the VMs. Second one is gonna be my study box. Instal the microsoft HyperV on it and create a Windows server based lab environment for studying.

I've gathered up a bunch of parts over the last few years so it's literally cheaper for me to tinker and build a NAS than to buy one right now, though I'm gonna get to that in the future as well.
Gonna try and pinch every penny i can, so that I can buy some old and new cisco switches and routers over time and build that lab as well as a virtual one in GNS3

The annoying thing about this field/work/ hobby is that there's so much that you can and should do, but no matter how you slice it, there never seems to be enough time in the day (or money in the bank) to do all the tings you want done.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:00 am

I'm about half way through watching Castlevania, which puts me at the start of season 3.

I have to say, I really like the show. It is quite good, looks amazing and while there was some meandering in season 2, it seems to be picking up the pace quite strongly.
Many of the characters are quite enjoyable, like Trevor, Sypha and Alucard, even Dracula, but then there are those who are truly fascinating in their own right, like Isaac.

I might do a review when I'm done, though I've still got to give my opinion on Invincible, and that's a much less complicated show and story than this.
With that said, I can definitely recommend Castlevania already. It is a very good show and certainly worth watching.
1 x