Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Post Reply
User avatar
Lordfrieza
Justice League
Posts: 6033
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:34 am
Justice League Membership: The Question
Location: Oklahoma
x 16

Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Okay, Basically I have no problem with anything political being on any part of the board, but there does get to be a time to bottle neck it as it were. I'll be honest in saying that more than likely I won't be on this thread too much. When it comes to politics I don't like to talk about them. I mean voting is important, but the reason I see it important is because of the number of men and women who have laid down their lives, or gone through traumatic situations so we could have the right and privileged to vote. However, that is exactly where my political notions stop. Don't care who is republican, Democrat, or Independent. I just care if they do their job or not. Which is why I've said the shiniest of two turds has won. That said.....

This is the place to talk about any political feelings, notions, views, and standpoints. That said... Enjoy.
0 x
"The tips at the end of shoelaces are called 'aglets'. Their true purpose is sinister." The Question

League member 'Question'

User avatar
Aries
Site Admin
Posts: 5852
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:47 pm
Justice League Membership: Nightwing
Location: Canada
x 19
Contact:

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:52 am

0 x

User avatar
MTVCCVC
Justice League
Posts: 4715
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]
Location: Sisak, Croatia
x 115

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Politics is bullshit and a farce, but damn if it ain't an entertaining one once you get past all the rage.
0 x

User avatar
Aries
Site Admin
Posts: 5852
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:47 pm
Justice League Membership: Nightwing
Location: Canada
x 19
Contact:

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:57 pm

I missed this last week, but I thought it was worth a read:
Sergey Brin (Google CEO) wrote:I must confess, I am dreading today’s elections.

Not because of who might win or lose.

Not because as a Californian, my vote for President will count 1/3 as much as an Alaskan (actually it won’t matter at all — I’m not in a swing state).

Not because my vote for Senate will count 1/50 as much as an Alaskan.

But because no matter what the outcome, our government will still be a giant bonfire of partisanship. It is ironic since whenever I have met with our elected officials they are invariably thoughtful, well-meaning people. And yet collectively 90% of their effort seems to be focused on how to stick it to the other party.

So my plea to the victors — whoever they might be: please withdraw from your respective parties and govern as independents in name and in spirit. It is probably the biggest contribution you can make to the country.
0 x

User avatar
Grendle1853
Justice League
Posts: 7788
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter
Location: Harrisburg
x 136

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:09 pm

One of the main reasons why I vote Democrat mostly is because Republicans are pro cancer. Republicans are anti stem cell research, stem cell research is our most likely avenue to find a cure for cancer (as well as a lot of other problems), ergo Republicans are pro cancer.
And now I want to use one of the new smiles. :ghost:
0 x
Image
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

User avatar
MTVCCVC
Justice League
Posts: 4715
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]
Location: Sisak, Croatia
x 115

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Grendle1853 wrote:One of the main reasons why I vote Democrat mostly is because Republicans are pro cancer. Republicans are anti stem cell research, stem cell research is our most likely avenue to find a cure for cancer (as well as a lot of other problems), ergo Republicans are pro cancer.
And now I want to use one of the new smiles. :ghost:
Among those other things is potentially healing paralysis and paraplegia.

that would be very good as well.
0 x

User avatar
DaisyJane
Justice League
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy
Location: Los Angeles
x 329
Contact:

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:40 pm

There is a difference between being against embryonic stem cell research and stem cell research. You do know there are more sources of stem cells available for use in research (such as in cord blood). I myself do not support embryonic stem cell research because basically you are destroying a potential human life for research that may or may not yeild cures for these diseases. Where does it stop? What if growing a viable fetus would yeild a cure but kill the fetus. It isn't so simple and black and white.
0 x
FU DC

User avatar
Grendle1853
Justice League
Posts: 7788
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter
Location: Harrisburg
x 136

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:11 pm

DaisyJane wrote:There is a difference between being against embryonic stem cell research and stem cell research. You do know there are more sources of stem cells available for use in research (such as in cord blood). I myself do not support embryonic stem cell research because basically you are destroying a potential human life for research that may or may not yeild cures for these diseases. Where does it stop? What if growing a viable fetus would yeild a cure but kill the fetus. It isn't so simple and black and white.
Its not necessarily about destroying human lives for the research, abortion is legal in the US, so often it could be about using the remains of a life that was decided to be stopped and using it for research.
0 x
Image
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

User avatar
DaisyJane
Justice League
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy
Location: Los Angeles
x 329
Contact:

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Since abortion is also about destroying a potential human life I am not a big fan of it. While I can respect a woman's right to choose and I also believe making it illegal doesn't solve the underlying problem, I would like to think we would not have a cavalier attitude toward destroying life. Especially when there are viable alternatives.
0 x
FU DC

User avatar
Kallisto
Titan
Posts: 822
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:05 am
Location: Kauai, Hawaii
x 7

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:08 am

Abortion isn't necessary to obtain them, in vitro fertilization generates large numbers (thousands) of unused embryos, using them for scientific research utilizes a resource from fertility clinics that would otherwise be discarded.
0 x

User avatar
Darkknightsvengence
Justice League
Posts: 6124
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: The Frozen Throne, Icecrown Citadel, Northrend
x 153

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:26 am

my views on abortion is as long as your not sleeping around and getting more use then a public bus then it's your fault for being a whore and not using the day after pills or Condoms. But if you want a Abortion because it's unwanted, Forced into it(Rape) and others which i have forgotten then it's ok but they should do Background checks or something.
Also no one Religious or Political should be able to say that you cannot have abortions it's not their right to tell them what to do in something THAT PERSONAL it's practically saying we know what you did your entire life but we a stopping one thing in it for good
0 x
Hail to the King Baby

User avatar
MTVCCVC
Justice League
Posts: 4715
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]
Location: Sisak, Croatia
x 115

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:14 am

I think if you are sleeping around, an abortion is not a very cost effective or even sensible way of preventing pregnancy.
The freaking contraception pill works perfectly fine for that and is a lot easier to get.
Barring being psychotic, i don't think any woman would choose to go that route.

But to your point of a background check. I don't agree because then you'd basically have to do it for everyone, even the rape victims, but more importantly, say that you find something that isn't what you'd want to see there, what do you do then? not allow the abortion and force the child on the woman?

that would not be fair to the woman and even more importantly to the child.

Also, on what or whose authority would you extract such a background check? and who would do it? and what would happen with that information afterwards?
0 x

User avatar
MTVCCVC
Justice League
Posts: 4715
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]
Location: Sisak, Croatia
x 115

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:29 am

DaisyJane wrote:Since abortion is also about destroying a potential human life I am not a big fan of it. While I can respect a woman's right to choose and I also believe making it illegal doesn't solve the underlying problem, I would like to think we would not have a cavalier attitude toward destroying life. Especially when there are viable alternatives.
well, we eat animals and plants and they are also life and we don't particularly stop to think about that when we're having lunch.

Considering that a zygote can't develop into a baby outside of a uterus, does that still make a stem cell equivalent to a live baby?

What alternatives?
The only supposed alternative I see is to give the child up for adoption, or rather to put it into already overcrowded orphanages.
I'd actually be ok with that (to a point. birth is kind of a traumatic experience and I got to imagine it being all the more so when you didn't want to go through it in the first place) if we had a decent economic and social structure that would actually take care of them and everybody else, but we don't.

To my point of view, bringing a child into this world if you aren't capable of taking care of it is immoral and in a way child abuse.
Bringing them into this world and all but leaving them to fend for themselves is even worse.


"Boy, these conservatives are really something, aren't they? They're all in favor of the unborn. They will do anything for the unborn. But once you're born, you're on your own.
Pro-life conservatives are obsessed with the fetus from conception to nine months. After that, they don't want to know about you. They don't want to hear from you. No nothing. No neonatal care, no day care, no head start, no school lunch, no food stamps, no welfare, no nothing. If you're preborn, you're fine; if you're preschool, you're fucked."
George Carlin
0 x

User avatar
Darkknightsvengence
Justice League
Posts: 6124
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: The Frozen Throne, Icecrown Citadel, Northrend
x 153

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:36 am

MTVCCVC wrote:I think if you are sleeping around, an abortion is not a very cost effective or even sensible way of preventing pregnancy.
The freaking contraception pill works perfectly fine for that and is a lot easier to get.
Barring being psychotic, i don't think any woman would choose to go that route.

But to your point of a background check. I don't agree because then you'd basically have to do it for everyone, even the rape victims, but more importantly, say that you find something that isn't what you'd want to see there, what do you do then? not allow the abortion and force the child on the woman?

that would not be fair to the woman and even more importantly to the child.

Also, on what or whose authority would you extract such a background check? and who would do it? and what would happen with that information afterwards?
i said background check because it was the closest thing i thought of that made sense(i was tired as hell and having random chest pains it won't make me think straight)
also "I think if you are sleeping around, an abortion is not a very cost effective or even sensible way of preventing pregnancy." you would be surprised how many idiots there are
0 x
Hail to the King Baby

User avatar
MTVCCVC
Justice League
Posts: 4715
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]
Location: Sisak, Croatia
x 115

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:43 am

Darkknightsvengence wrote:... you would be surprised how many idiots there are
Believe me, I wouldn't...
0 x

User avatar
DaisyJane
Justice League
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy
Location: Los Angeles
x 329
Contact:

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 am

I was talking about viable alternatives for getting stem cells. And sorry but we do differentiate between human and other life. We don't give the death penalty for killing a cow. I am not asking you to agree with my feelings on these issues I am just stating that there is a big reason why some people would disagree and it doesn't make them crazy or horrible people because they are against it.
0 x
FU DC

User avatar
MTVCCVC
Justice League
Posts: 4715
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]
Location: Sisak, Croatia
x 115

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:10 pm

MTVCCVC wrote:Last nights Daily Show's (November 13th) first segment is epic and really hard hitting.

It reminds me of the charade that the american investor or as they are more commonly known, buyer, did when they took over the Sisak steel works prior to ultimately shutting it down and selling off the assets.

They tried in dozens upon dozens of ways to get the workers fired and rehired because the old contracts that they had back from the old hellish socialist days had benefits in them that most people don't even dare to dream of these days and ofc they cost money.
But who cares, right? it's just workers, the people who do the actual work producing the product that you make your money off of.
what do they need benefits for? it's not like they do some kind of back breaking labour like you...
0 x

User avatar
DaisyJane
Justice League
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy
Location: Los Angeles
x 329
Contact:

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Well now you don't have a steel mill. Let's think of this from a business POV. They want to make a profit. If labor costs too much then they don't. So instead they close down the mill and take what profit they can. Now if a compromise could have been reached you would have working mills. People would have jobs and and the mills became successful and if the environment supported it the business could have expanded and more jobs could be created.
0 x
FU DC

User avatar
MTVCCVC
Justice League
Posts: 4715
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]
Location: Sisak, Croatia
x 115

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Clearly, which is why those steel mills only existed for the last decade being that they were so unprofitable.
It's not like they were there and worked for much longer with the same benefits with no problems despite the same costly benefits...

Btw. I love that argument.

So people should work harder for less just so they could even have a job?
yeah, that'll work fantastic in the long run...

That's the road to prosperity and out of poverty!
0 x

User avatar
DaisyJane
Justice League
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy
Location: Los Angeles
x 329
Contact:

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:04 pm

How do you know they were profitable and not subsidized. Are the same contracts they used to have still there--in other words are you selling to the exact same market and receiving the exact same money? Are there now more companies to compete with now that more places are allowed to compete for market share? Do the mills have to be improved to make a better quality product to compete in a more open market? There maybe many factors that could be at work that change whether or not a company stays in business. It has happened a few times to the auto industry in the U.S. Same thing happened in the airline industry. In the world in general not all things remain the same and something that thrived in one era may not work in another.
0 x
FU DC

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests