Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Adelaine
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Oracle

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:52 am

In case you missed it, Google also fired employees from the other side of that debate.

https://www.wired.com/story/ex-google-e ... ores-memo/
0 x
There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit. — Ronald Reagan

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:48 am

Thanks for the article. It was an interesting read, though it does not really make me feel any better.

I still stand by the principle: either Google let anyone express whatever opinion they have and the company has to be completely apolitical and act like a teacher in kindergaten constantly having to moderate the squabbling children or they institute a professional workplace environment where it is expected that you keep your personal and political life outside the company front gate or at the very least that you can manage interpersonal relationships on a professional level.

Those free-for-all mailing lists are a horrendous mistake on Google's part. I've a hard time imagining a better way to create cliques and echo chambers, to say nothing of starting interpersonal conflict.

I mean, I can't fathom something like this happening at my job:
One mailing-list debate that’s become something of an internal legend for racking up thousands of responses pitted supporters of the Tibetan independence movement against employees from China. The impetus? A dessert in a campus cafe that featured “Free Tibet goji berries,” according to a sign displayed next to the snack.

My point still stands after reading the article. Damore's memo did not push any harmful gender stereotypes and the point of his memo was where the diversity initiative is failing and what approaches can be take to improve the likelihood of of more diverse hiring and how to improve the workplace to accommodate a more diverse pool of talent.
This was then "interpreted" as sexual harassment by third parties and an immediate firing happened, despite James no having any record with HR prior to the memo.

Something interesting in the gizmodo article regarding the other people who were fired is that they were fired after the incident with Damore's memo and that their posts are, according to the article, presented as evidence in the court case, so my cynical self can't help but feel that this is Google cleaning house after the fact to improve their standing in the courtroom.

This quote from the article would strengthen my case on that:
The earliest examples [...] documented by Gizmodo occurred in 2016, before Damore began working on his memo, but Google’s efforts appear to have escalated after the memo was published.

Chevalier and McMillen don't have much of a leg to stand on and I find it hard to defend their positions, not because of their political opinions, but because their statements are something that HR can have a legitimate issue with.

"In his lawsuit, Chevalier says that his supervisor at Google criticized him for his political activism several times prior to his firing."
The examples of his political activism in the workplace are quite adversarial and something HR would be interested in.

McMillen "wrote on internal Google Plus that he would refuse to work with other employees who supported Damore’s views", which is rather self-evident as to why that might be an HR problem.

Spitznagel's case is not that big of an issue and she wasn't fired. She left of her own accord, but complained that HR instructed her to take down a post referencing a "racial justice workshop and noted it might be useful to white co-workers who were interested in becoming more involved in the cause. The title of the workshop, which Spitznagel herself didn’t reference in her post, was “Healing from Toxic Whiteness to Better Fight for Racial Justice.” "
Not to put too fine a point on it, but "toxic" is not exactly a word HR wants to see.

The "I'm just asking" paragraph does not really shock me after getting a feeling for what Google's internal communications are like. This is not acceptable professional behaviour, on any side.

After reading the article, I'm even more convinced Google would be a horrible place to work in. It looks like an example of some of the worst internet forums out there.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:54 am

Putting this into the politics thread, for obvious reasons, but I'm not going to be making a political point about anything.

I'm just going to point out that the presenter and main host of the show makes claims that the AR-15 is way more dangerous and lethal than the M-16.
For those that do not know, the AR-15 and the M-16 are the exact same weapon. The M-16 is the US army internal model designation number, the AR-15 the model designation of the company that originally designed the rifle.

Spectacular levels of knowledge on the subject matter... and they wonder why trust in the media is at an all time low.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:02 pm

I can't believe it... The Scots actually made being offensive legally punishable, the fucking pusillanimous little bitches.

fuck them.

0 x

no avatar
Lurker nomore
Teen Titan

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:05 pm

I have learned one thing in life people with a progressive out look can say and do anything without reprecussions except for murder even then they get light sentences. Say any little thing even the tiniest that come from a more traditonalist or conservative point of you. You get susspeneded fired or harassed and no one will care unless people with the exact viewpoint hear of it even then all they can give is moral support because of being afraid they will go after him or her. That is the truth that must be pointed even progressives who are honest if there are any would agree with that.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:02 am

I've lived long enough (as in before "progressivism", or at least its modern day version was even a word) to see the morality whip pass from one moral majority to the other and I can already see the next moral majority assembling on the horizon.

For me this is not an issue of political team sports, but an issue of principle. it is unacceptable that people should be criminally pursued for things they say or think and it is the boundless arrogance of small minded, well educated idiots to not even consider for a moment that the power they institute to oppress the people they hate will not at some point be used by the next group or moral busybodies to oppress them or the people they claim to be defending when the political winds shift, as they invariably will, because, with the possible exception of the Germans, most people don't like having omnipotent busybodies dictate to them what they can, should and must do, say and think.
0 x

TOMMM
Teen Titan

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Feminism and SJW are mental diseases , as much as ANTIFA and Marxism(with all of his features).
0 x

TOMMM
Teen Titan

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:05 pm

How I said brain disease. I'm soo thankful that I'm not living in Canada.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:44 am

Oh sweet, sweet karmic justice. You've been a long time coming, but at least you are here and it is delicious.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/buffy-the ... black-lead
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/07/a ... ead/64548/

Seems Joss Whedon is going to reboot Buffy with a black female lead and someone isn't very happy about it:

Doesn't feel so good when it strikes your back, does it, Anita, you racist alt-right queen of the bitches?
0 x

Darkknightsvengence
Justice League

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:57 am

MTVCCVC wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:44 am
Oh sweet, sweet karmic justice. You've been a long time coming, but at least you are here and it is delicious.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/buffy-the ... black-lead
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/07/a ... ead/64548/

Seems Joss Whedon is going to reboot Buffy with a black female lead and someone isn't very happy about it:

Doesn't feel so good when it strikes your back, does it, Anita, you racist alt-right queen of the bitches?
Don't give that waste of space attention. Seriously don't she attacked and got others to harass a transgender journalist for interviewing totalbiscuit about how to deal with harassment.

article in question
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/08/16/tota ... h-the-hate
0 x
Hail to the King Baby

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:32 pm

I'd like to, DKV, but this vile racist has to be put on blast.

I've been told that only racists could ever possibly have anything against a beloved character being rebooted/replaced with a character of a different race, a brave move of incredible importance even though it supposedly changes nothing except skin colour.

I am having too much fun with this. Watching hypocrites get hoisted by their own petard is so satisfying.

0 x

Ghost13
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Captain Marvel (Shazam)

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:21 pm

Are you sure Anita is against Buffy being played by a black actress? Judging by those quotes she could only be talking about the idea of remaking the show. Which could be exploited to make her look like a hyppocrite…
0 x
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:15 pm

I can see that and that's probably true. I was being facetious and deliberately using the narrative she misuses against others on her.

That said, I think she is still a hypocrite because, for one, she is the one constantly talking about how other people's favourite entertainment needs to change/be rebooted to suit her sensibilities and two, that more diversity/representation is always a good thing.

So if she was actually consistent with her own narrative, she should welcome this reboot with open arms, even if she thinks a reboot is a bad idea, exactly because it is intended to star a black main character, so furthering the diversity and representation that she claims to care so much for.

And ofc, the bit where suddenly it's a big no-no when it's something she likes that's getting messed with, is rather self-explanatory and I am enjoying the schadenfreude of it as well as the ammunition she is providing her critics for every single video she makes ever in the future.
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:37 pm

I loved Buffy but I could care less if they reboot it. I don't have to watch if I don't want and it doesn't do anything to the original. I don't like the Starwars reboot either but all that does is save me money as I won't go to the movies. Joss created the character he should be allowed to experiment with her and her universe. They are doing the same with Charmed. Mostly I just don't care, time to move on Anita.
0 x
FU DC

Darkknightsvengence
Justice League

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:23 pm

doubt it'd be able to put it on the random thread due to the whole trump thing.
0 x
Hail to the King Baby

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:21 pm

What in the flying fuck is Zuckerbot 3.71 doing?

Facebook is attempting to buy their users financial and banking info from said users banks. Do these people even know the word "dystopia"?
Ofc they do, but why should they care when there's money to be made?

0 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Darkknightsvengence wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:23 pm
doubt it'd be able to put it on the random thread due to the whole trump thing.
lol

Now they are removing Somebody´s star from the Walk of Fame.

West Hollywood Mayor Pro Tem John D’Amico and Councilwoman Lindsey Horvath urged the City of Los Angeles to get rid of it “due to [Trump’s] disturbing treatment of women and other actions.”
washingtonsources.org/hollywood-removing-trumps-star-from-the-walk-of-fame/

Mark Hamill apparently thinks Carrie Fisher would be a suitable replacement.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/08/0 ... ald-trump/
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:51 am

I highly disagree with this for a number of reasons.

1 - Carrie Fisher deserves her own star, not to be a replacement on the back of a moral panic and offence to some people's overly sensitive bourgeois social norms.
This will ultimately forever tarnish Carrie's achievement with the inescapable sentiment of: "Yeah, they needed to replace Trump with someone and she was there at the right moment in time".

2 - Removing Trump's star is unwaranted. He earned his spot there with his stupid reality TV show and that star honours that achievement, not Trump as a person or his values and/or lack thereof.

3 - Let's be honest, Trump is a bloviating braggart and bufoon (and a surprisingly competent one), but he is far from the worst to have a star. I mean, there's murderers, rapists, people with mob ties, drug fiends and scientologists who have said stars.

4 - This is yet another attempt by moral busybodies and pearl-clutchers to sanitize and ultimately rewrite history to suit their bourgeois social norms, not unlike the tearing down of confederate statues.
1 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:21 am

MTVCCVC wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:51 am
I highly disagree with this for a number of reasons.

1 - Carrie Fisher deserves her own star, not to be a replacement on the back of a moral panic and offence to some people's overly sensitive bourgeois social norms.
This will ultimately forever tarnish Carrie's achievement with the inescapable sentiment of: "Yeah, they needed to replace Trump with someone and she was there at the right moment in time".

2 - Removing Trump's star is unwaranted. He earned his spot there with his stupid reality TV show and that star honours that achievement, not Trump as a person or his values and/or lack thereof.

3 - Let's be honest, Trump is a bloviating braggart and bufoon (and a surprisingly competent one), but he is far from the worst to have a star. I mean, there's murderers, rapists, people with mob ties, drug fiends and scientologists who have said stars.

4 - This is yet another attempt by moral busybodies and pearl-clutchers to sanitize and ultimately rewrite history to suit their bourgeois social norms, not unlike the tearing down of confederate statues.
1 - I don´t think her achievement will be tarnished in a meaningful way when even Mark Hamill says it would be a good idea to replace Trumps Star with hers.

2 - He might have gotten the star for his Tv Show, but it nonethless increases his prestige as a person like all monuments do and decreases the attention his negative traits get.

3 - Isn´t Trump rumored to have mob ties, too? Would be good enough to be rid of at least one of those people. Highly doubt you can get rid of all of them just like that.

4 - I think you´ve got it the wrong way around. In my view Confederate Statues are an attempt to rewrite history, not the act of tearing them down or putting them in a musuem were they probably belong as objects to be studied and not celebrated. They were erected to glorify the legacy of confederates and erase their evils (something southeners were very good at...I think the term is Southern Revisionism), not serve as a warning against racism or something. And they should be treated as such.

Kirk von Daacke, Associate Professor and Assistant Dean Department of History at the University of Virginia, agrees that, as a society, we benefit from learning about our own past in all its complexity. Nonetheless, he believes that removing Confederate statues and memorials, often erected several decades after the Civil War is a way to reject a history of Lost Cause glorification of the Confederate cause and the history of muscular white supremacy that went hand in hand with the Lost Cause.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/are ... ry-n750526
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:58 pm

Ghost13 wrote:
1 - I don´t think her achievement will be tarnished in a meaningful way when even Mark Hamill says it would be a good idea to replace Trumps Star with hers.
I love Mark Hamil, but he is reather biased in the matter and not exactly the arbiter of objectivity here. Like I said, Carrie deserves her own star.
Ghost13 wrote:
2 - He might have gotten the star for his Tv Show, but it nonethless increases his prestige as a person like all monuments do and decreases the attention his negative traits get.
Yes, so he earned it. Why should something he earned be taken away from him because a bunch of histerical pearl clutchers and political opportunists think he is a racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, phobiaphobic, etc. etc.?
Ghost13 wrote:
3 - Isn´t Trump rumored to have mob ties, too? Would be good enough to be rid of at least one of those people. Highly doubt you can get rid of all of them just like that.
Don't know, but I'm pretty sure Ol' Blue Eyes' rumored mob ties are a bit more substantial.
I disagree. I don't think you should get rid of any of them.
Thinking that the public is too stupid to see and aknowledge the flaws and faults of people who are put on a pedestal for things they have achieved is not sufficient justification for me to erase people from history and into some dark basement to be forgotten.

However, if I was to entertain the argument, the questions then immediately follows:
How evil is evil enough to be removed from popular consciousness and history? How many good deeds or impresive ahievments does this outweight or counteract? Who gets to decide what constitutes "evil" and what consitutes "good"?
Ghost13 wrote:
4 - I think you´ve got it the wrong way around. In my view Confederate Statues are an attempt to rewrite history, not the act of tearing them down or putting them in a musuem were they probably belong as objects to be studied and not celebrated. They were erected to glorify the legacy of confederates and erase their evils (something southeners were very good at...I think the term is Southern Revisionism), not serve as a warning against racism or something. And they should be treated as such.
That may well be true, though I think you have a somewhat uncharitable and slanted view on the matter, but I don't think that counters my argument. The people tearing these statues down do not care for a nuanced view of history, they just care about "Muh Racism!", which is why they also easily went after a statue comemorating the confedarate soldiers, not just the leaders.

I don't see what's wrong in comemorating soldiers who died defending their home, even if their cause was not just (which most probably didn't care about or have a say in anyway) (...).

Furthermore, these are not the kind of people to stop at just confederate statues. It isn't a long stretch from there to this founder must be shunned from history, because he owned slaves or Christopher Columbus was a mass murderer and should not be glorified.
The problem with all morality based movements is that they have no boundries. They never stop and are never truly satisfied. All purity spirals can only ever end one way.
0 x