Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

theamerican
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Lobo

Re: Political thoughts, views, and standpoints here...

Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:33 am

MTVCCVC wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:54 pm
Supposedly, the CBC cut out the small cameo appearance of Trump in their this year's broadcast of Home Alone 2.

How pathetically petty can you be? seriously, is your Trump derangement syndrome that crippling?
I remember the Bush hatred, but Jesus Christ Trump Derangement is over the top. His policy positions are pretty typical Republican with some occasional mild Democrat stances (his stance on trade and skepticism on nation building neocon foreign wars for example). Only thing extreme about him is his behavior, although I notice there’s at least three different Trumps he puts out (Twitter Trump, Rally Trump, State of the Union Trump). Literally I wish they would admit they just don’t like Trump because he’s a Republican. Only reason the hate is intense is he punches back ten times when people attack him. It’s just like people fucking calm down. America and the world is relatively stable and times are improving for everyone. Ignore the DC reality show gimmicks
0 x
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -Patton
"A people free to choose will always choose peace. "-Ronald Reagan
"...law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."-Thomas Jefferson

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:08 pm

One of the most bullshit statements in politics is:
"We're just trying to start a conversation."

Conversation implies that there isn't a preformed conclusion, that there are multiple valid points of view and anyone can join in the conversation.

The people who say this never actually mean this.
They want to dictate, not converse.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:15 pm

Square Enix has an ethics department and it told the Final Fantasy 7 remake developers to "restrict" Tifa's chest

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... ifas-chest
Square Enix has an ethics department, a new interview has revealed - and it advised the Final Fantasy 7 remake team on development.

Specifically, this ethics department told the remake developers to "restrict" Tifa's chest, according to comments made by director Testuya Nomura in a new interview with Famitsu (translation by Digital Foundry's John Linneman).
"It was necessary to restrict her chest," Nomura says in the interview. For the developers, modernising Tifa's design meant creating an athletic look, complete with abs, while retaining her iconic white tanktop and black mini skirt outfit. But, as the ethics department pointed out, Tifa shouldn't look "unnatural" during action scenes, so her chest was "restricted". This resulted in black underwear and a fitted tank top for the remake.
Of course, the usual suspects cheered this on, because they are childish assholes who only care about thumbing their nose at the pervert gamers out there.

What these SJWhackjobs fail to notice is that the direct implication of this is that big boobs are acording to Square and Sony by fiat UNETHICAL.

I don't give a fuck about any bullshit rationalizations you can throw at this. If the ethics department stepped in and demanded that Tifa's boobs be shrunk or "restricted", that means they are of the opinion that breast size is an ethical issue and that big breasts are unethical.

Every SJWanker who agrees with this decision, retards that they are implicitly agree with this notion and all it takes for them to not even think it through is telling them that gamer men will hate it.

I take a very harsh stance and reading of this becuase everyone involved i a goddamn hypocrite of the highest order and this just goes to prove once more that SJWhackamloes are just another version of the prudish moral dictators, no different than the mega-christian busybodies of yesteryear.

Fuck you for declaring my wife unethical for being born with big tits and double fist fuck you for being to stupid to even notice that that is EXACTLY what you are doing, you fucking deaf, dumb and blind hypocrites of the highest order.
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Captain Marvel (Shazam)

Wed May 13, 2020 1:30 pm

So I am going to resurrect this thread one more time. This gives me no joy, but If this topic does get ressurected over a rant over some digital boobs I might as well vent a bit. No offense.

Apparently Trump or one of his lackeys is attempting to make people believe that the Obama administration left them ill prepared to deal with the Corona Crisis. Which is unsuprisingly another blatant lie. According to a German article I read not only were the US prepared to deal with such a situation the Obama administration also left instructions to follow which may very well have left the US better off than under Trumps abysmal dealing with Corona (Here the article in question for German speakers https://www.msn.com/de-de/nachrichten/o ... d=spartann).

This pisses me of on so many levels. Not only is Trump COWARDLY dodging responsibility he is also directly attacking his rival and trying to ruin the reputation of a president who was not a COMPLETE FAILURE. Now I don´t have any relatives who were affected by this tragedy except for all the small little measures we have to deal with in order not to get infected, but if they were, or god forbid if someone say my grandma had DIED I´d be pissed of even more because Trump is trying to use this tragedy to further his own Agenda and MANIPULATE People to vote for his cowardly, stupid ass. Now of course countless people have already died because of Corana around the world...I´ll leave it at that.

And apparently this LIE is only the tip of the iceberg. Not only has Trump lied about the efforts of the Obama administration to fight pandemics, there were also quite a number of other insidious lies he spread or god forbid believed in order to DOWNPLAY the crisis maybe in some vain effort to prevent the economic decline of the US in his nationalistic pissing contest with the rest of the world. (Which you can read here - https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... us/608647/)

What I wonder is how the hell did we end up here? What really makes me angry more than the behavious we´ve come to expect from POTUS is how people are still trying to rationalize Trumps rise to power as some REASONABLE reaction in the fight against "MUH POLITICAL ESTABLISHMENT" or "MUH POLITICAL CORRECTNESS". More than "SJWS" or any other ASININE buzzword it´s YOU who try to downplay Trumps idiocy that piss me off. SERIOUSLY. Not only am I angry in makes me ill. Not exaggerating. Political correctness might sometimes cause suffering but it pales in comparison to what Trump is putting people through and ist use as a buzzword is giving him power over peoples mind and makes them overlooks his countless faults.

To me Trump is Nothing but a cruel, arrogant, cowardly, lying piece of shit. And his presidency is evidence of the staggering level of foolishness the US sometimes display in comparison to the rest of the world. I am sorry I have to say this.

And before I end this rant, let me say that a while back someone posted an article about how Republicans supposedly are not the ones waging a war on science in the US, basicly crying "MUH POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" again, ranting about some out of control activists. OF COURSE this article said nothing about Republicans deny of Climate Change or how Trumps lack of enthusiam for real science might affect the US now that they are stuck in a pandemic with life or death consequences. I am too exhausted and spend to much time on this to do the necessarily thorough research, but I am interested about how the US will handle themselves now!
0 x
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Wed May 13, 2020 3:43 pm

Ghost13 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:30 pm
No offense.
None taken.

I only take offense to the implication that boobs are not serious business

----

Ghost, as you admit, this is way more of an emotional response than a reasoned one, so I won't get on your case for it too hard.

I'm just going to remind you that the media are habitual liars and spin-doctors when it comes to Trump and that they and the democrats were the first to admonish him from making a big deal about corona, quite literally putting out articles that "the flu is much more dangerous" and Nancy Pelosi telling people to go party in Chinatown and shit like that, just becuase if Trump said the sky is blue they would claim it's green. Or how about how they admonished him for closing the borders to China only to complain a month later that he didn't close it tighter enough because he let 40000 US citizens back into the US from China.

Also, let's not forget that the Democrats stonewalled a bill to provide relief funds to businesses for weeks until their demands largely related to identity politics were not met, leaving many businesses up shit creek without a paddle. Given this, your "Muh politcal correctness" mockery falls on deaf ears, unfortunately.

This post reminds me a lot of Bill Maher's interview with Dan Crenshaw, where Bill tried to gotcha him about how terrible Trump was, only for the senator, who i don't particularly like to be clear, embarrassed Bill by fact checking his media based lies and misrepresentations.

Now, when you get some rest and calm down, I'd love to hear what exactly anti-science evil Trump and the anti-science evil Republicans have anti-scientifically evil-y done or not done.
It is curious though how much anger you are directing at Trump for mishandling the pandemic in a country you do not live in, but you haven't said a single word about China, where this virus originates and who had sealed off all domestic traffic from Wuhan and Hubei due to it way back in January 6th, but left international traffic from there open until Jan 20th, who have infiltrated the WHO and turned them into a useless organization that also claimed base don China's word that the flu was a worse threat and that China's MSS recently, imo, assassinated an american researcher of chinese origin who was supposedly on the verge of making some kind of major discovery regarding the corona virus. (...)

From my pov, your anger seems a bit misplaced, at the very least.
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Wed May 13, 2020 5:18 pm

Going to write a reply later...too tired right now.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Wed May 13, 2020 5:22 pm

Not a problem. Please do get some rest.
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Thu May 14, 2020 4:18 pm

It is curious though how much anger you are directing at Trump for mishandling the pandemic in a country you do not live in, but you haven't said a single word about China, where this virus originates and who had sealed off all domestic traffic from Wuhan and Hubei due to it way back in January 6th, but left international traffic from there open until Jan 20th, who have infiltrated the WHO and turned them into a useless organization that also claimed base don China's word that the flu was a worse threat and that China's MSS recently, imo, assassinated an american researcher of chinese origin who was supposedly on the verge of making some kind of major discovery regarding the corona virus. (...)
I don´t think its really a fair tactic to ask "what about China" when I am criticizing Trump ;)
I'm just going to remind you that the media are habitual liars and spin-doctors when it comes to Trump and that they and the democrats were the first to admonish him from making a big deal about corona, quite literally putting out articles that "the flu is much more dangerous" and Nancy Pelosi telling people to go party in Chinatown and shit like that, just becuase if Trump said the sky is blue they would claim it's green. Or how about how they admonished him for closing the borders to China only to complain a month later that he didn't close it tighter enough because he let 40000 US citizens back into the US from China.
I don´t like it when you call "the media" liars and spin-doctors when it comes to Trump, rather than individual news sites and such. It´s another of Trumps tactics to act like the whole media is against him and treating him unfairly so people won´t believe them when they are telling the truth. It´s called poisoning the well I think. I can´t find any articles where liberal news sites are comparing Corona to the flu by the way. Only people on Trumps side...
Also, let's not forget that the Democrats stonewalled a bill to provide relief funds to businesses for weeks until their demands largely related to identity politics were not met, leaving many businesses up shit creek without a paddle. Given this, your "Muh politcal correctness" mockery falls on deaf ears, unfortunately.
The only article I can find on that comes from Fox News of all people and they say Democrats try to achieve others goals in this debate but unless I overlook something it´s not Identity Politics they are pushing but rights for unions and enviromental stuff. You´d think Fox would take advantage of it if their issues were more petty. You can say that thats a dangerous tactic, but considering how pigheaded Republicans can be I don´t really blame them for using this as an opportunity to get ahead.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republ ... -wish-list
This post reminds me a lot of Bill Maher's interview with Dan Crenshaw, where Bill tried to gotcha him about how terrible Trump was, only for the senator, who i don't particularly like to be clear, embarrassed Bill by fact checking his media based lies and misrepresentations.
I found a fact check by Washington Post on that and they claim Crenshaw is the one misrepresenting things. Here is the article in question - https://www.washingtonpost.com/ (Note, you have to suscribe in order to read it on computer, try it on mobile, worked for me.)

Now, when you get some rest and calm down, I'd love to hear what exactly anti-science evil Trump and the anti-science evil Republicans have anti-scientifically evil-y done or not done.
Well, SO FAR, aside from climate change denial (apparently going so far that Climate denialists work went into federal documents and were promoted) and anti vaccine rhetoric they have been slow to react to internal warnings to take the current crisis more seriously, Trump promoted various weird ways of dealing with an infection even though Scientists said there was no evidence that they were effective.
He also ignored his own medical experts more recent warnings on testing and claimed Corona would be gone by fall despite of what his own expert said. His "let´s reopen the economy" rhetoric also comes at a very precarious time to say the least and is ignoring scientific advice.

As for "MUH Political Correctness" Trump recently said that democrats called him xenophic and racist when he announced his new travel ban. Which is at least mostly false according to fact check - https://www.statesman.com/news/20200330 ... strictions

It´s yet another way for him to manipulate people and ruin the reputation of his enemies and ist quite frankly making me sick.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 am

Ghost13 wrote:
I don´t think its really a fair tactic to ask "what about China" when I am criticizing Trump ;)
I imagine you don't, but considering you are talking about Trump's handling of the corona crisis with such anger and basically blaming him as if he personally strangled every person that died of it thus far, it seems inappropriate to not say word one about the country that caused it and is by every measure an actual fascist dictatorship with regards to how they handle the situation and their populace.
All the more considering that Trump has nothing to do with you, but China very much does, since they are the ones where it all started. They bear the responsibility for every person that died due to COVID.
Ghost13 wrote:
I don´t like it when you call "the media" liars and spin-doctors when it comes to Trump, rather than individual news sites and such. It´s another of Trumps tactics to act like the whole media is against him and treating him unfairly so people won´t believe them when they are telling the truth. It´s called poisoning the well I think.
I don't take accusations of well poisoning against the media very seriously, considering that is what they do all day, every day. Since Trump joined the race for president, the whole media aparatus have been nothing but negative against him, excluding that one single moment when they praised him for launching missiles at Syria, when that one news anchor who lied about being shot at in a helicopter nearly jizzed his pants talking about the beauty of american weapons.

The credibility of the media has been in the shitter way before Trump and they've only gotten worse since he took office. Do I need to remind you that they all pushed the Russiagate bullshit for years, even though it was crystal clear that it was bullshit to anyone who wasn't obsessed with Trump? Or how Muller went from hero to villain when he couldn't find dirt on Trump after 2 years of digging deeper into him and everyone around him than ever possible?

These people lie and sensationalize all the time. They are also spectacular hypocrites who ruin people's reputations and lives when it suits them and protect those that they like all the time.
e.g When judge Kavanaugh was supposed to be interviewed for the Supreme Court, they made a spectacular circus about one woman's spurious allegations of sexual assault all for the sole purpose of preventing him from being confirmed and making money off of the spectacle, but now that Joe Biden has much more credible allegations levied against him of the same nature, they are either silent or defending him.

As for the whole media vs individual news sites, I don't consider that valid criticism in any way considering this:

Don't you think that the media smearing Trump as a sexist, racist, xenophobe, homophobe and every other phobe and ism they could think of since basically day 1 might also be a tactic?
Or is Trump exclusively in the wrong and untrustworthy, but giant for profit media corporations are always right and trustworthy?
Ghost13 wrote:
I can´t find any articles where liberal news sites are comparing Corona to the flu by the way. Only people on Trumps side...
Gee, I wonder why... Let me guess, you think the media never quietly "update" or erase their stories, right?

I'll let the man himself burn them:

Maybe you are stuck in the current google-able news, but I remember things a few months back. I remember every single major media and news outlet talking about how the flu is worse and constantly bringing up doctors and nurses talking shit bullshit about "Corona deaths are 113, the flue kills 10s of thousands every year" and me shutting off the TV in disgust, because it was such obvious stupidity.
Back by the end of january, most discerning people in independent media were warning to prepare for the situation while every news station, local and global, was basically calling these people racist conspiracy theorists.

I remember White House reporters asking Trump such important questions like: "We heard that one person in your cabinet called the corona virus 'Kung-Flu'. Don't you think that's racist?
Ghost13 wrote:
The only article I can find on that comes from Fox News of all people and they say Democrats try to achieve others goals in this debate but unless I overlook something it´s not Identity Politics they are pushing but rights for unions and enviromental stuff. You´d think Fox would take advantage of it if their issues were more petty. You can say that thats a dangerous tactic, but considering how pigheaded Republicans can be I don´t really blame them for using this as an opportunity to get ahead.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republ ... -wish-list
Yes, imagine that. Odd, isn't it?
Well I do blame them, because it is not the time and it just shows them to be the same kind of immoral schemers at best.
They have quite literally held people's livelihoods and lives hostage for weeks unless they get their agenda forced through. At a time when businesses are going out of work and millions are losing jobs, it is morally evil to play bullshit political games with relief efforts.
maybe think about what you are rationalizing away with "republicans are evil"...
Ghost13 wrote:
I found a fact check by Washington Post on that and they claim Crenshaw is the one misrepresenting things. Here is the article in question - https://www.washingtonpost.com/ (Note, you have to suscribe in order to read it on computer, try it on mobile, worked for me.)
That's not a link to an article. Find an archived version and I'll consider it, but given how the news media have fact checked things before, I do not put much stock in them covering their own asses.
Ghost13 wrote:
Well, SO FAR, aside from climate change denial (apparently going so far that Climate denialists work went into federal documents and were promoted)...
if that is indeed true, yes, Trump is not smart on the issue, but considering that opposite side is the people puppeteering poor Greta Thunberg, I don't really care that much anymore.
To say nothing that nobody can represent Trumps actual stance on it correctly, which is that the greatest pollutants today are China and India and they are doing nothing about it because they do not want to throttle their own industries so Trump sees no reason why the US should handicap itself when these countries won't.
It's the wrong stance to take, but there is reason behind it.

As far as I'm concerned, both (political) sides of the climate debate have gone down their respective rabbit holes and I no longer care. When they can meet in the middle and actually talk to one another and not throw tantrums and hysterics about the economy collapsing or the world ending, then I'll be open to listening again.
Ghost13 wrote:
... and anti vaccine rhetoric
I am not familiar with what you are talking about. As far as I know, it is not clear that a vaccine when it is developed will be any more effective against covid as the flu vaccine is against the flu, because the virus is mutation prone and considering that there are studies that claim that an asymptomatic strain has taken hold in many places, the situation is not as simple as just make a vaccine.
Ghost13 wrote:
... they have been slow to react to internal warnings to take the current crisis more seriously, ...
As has everyone, including the WHO who also initially said the flu is worse, there's nothing to worry about, China said so and they are awesome. Again, I actually remember things from January up til now, so I don't buy this.
Ghost13 wrote:
...Trump promoted various weird ways of dealing with an infection even though Scientists said there was no evidence that they were effective.
He didn't promote it, he talked about it. If you are talking about Hydroxichlorocline, there were numerous studies that claimed it has some positive effect when combined with other methods and one french study that claimed the effects were negligible.
That's Trumps character. He talks and spitballs, but at no point did he say: "Hey, American citizen, go tell your doctor to pump you full of hydroxiclhlorocline."

Now, if you believed the media, he explicitely said that people should chug bleach and stick lightbulbs into their mouths.
Ghost13 wrote:
He also ignored his own medical experts more recent warnings on testing and claimed Corona would be gone by fall despite of what his own expert said.
Ghost, that's called trying to give people hope. In case you haven't noticed, the shutdown has kind of created a lot of social tensions. Trump is not as stupid as you think he is.
The experts are also not always correct. It is in their nature to only know about one thing and to focus exclusively on it. The president has to take their advice in as part of a bigger picture.
Ghost13 wrote:
His "let´s reopen the economy" rhetoric also comes at a very precarious time to say the least and is ignoring scientific advice.
Ghost, the UN itself has stated that if the lockdown continues, almost 100 million in Africa are at risk of starving to death.

There is a bigger picture at play here. We can't just keep things closed until who knows when. Shortages are already starting to mount, the businesses that haven't collapsed yet are at their limit, millions are out of work and almost all of them are not the type of people who have money lying around to get by for months on end. Many people have already spent their savings just to survive this. Major corporations are in deep shit due to being overleveraged with debt.
We are already in a major recession, just that nobody wants to say it and if this continues, there is a legitimate risk of a major, years long depression.

As serious as this health crisis is, that eventuality is even worse.
If you think it's difficult to contain a pandemic now, just wait til there's poor and starving people desperate to do anything to survive all over. The current social unrest will be childs play compared to what happens in that case. Wars will erupt in that scenario.
Ghost13 wrote:
As for "MUH Political Correctness" Trump recently said that democrats called him xenophic and racist when he announced his new travel ban. Which is at least mostly false according to fact check - https://www.statesman.com/news/20200330 ... strictions
Well, I can't open this one, because they apparently don't like my country, but I found the oh-so-trustworthy politifact and here's their summary:
- Biden has not directly said that the restrictions were xenophobic.
- Around the time the Trump administration announced the travel restriction, Biden said that Trump had a “record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering.”
- Biden used the phrase “xenophobic” in reply to a Trump tweet about limiting entry to travelers from China and in which Trump described the coronavirus as the “Chinese virus.” Biden did not spell out which part of Trump’s tweet was xenophobic.

I'm going to translate "mostly false" as "it's true, but we don't want to say it is". Are you kidding me?
That's as if i said: "I didn't call you racist. I just said that you walk, talk and quack like a racist."
Ghost13 wrote:
It´s yet another way for him to manipulate people and ruin the reputation of his enemies and ist quite frankly making me sick.
But it doesn't sicken you that Trump's political opponents and the news media have been calling him every -ist and -phobe they can think of, implying that he's a puppet for Putin, that he sucks of Kim Jong-Un on a regular, that he has blood on his hands, etc. etc.
That manipulation is a-ok in your book?
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Sun May 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Don't you think that the media smearing Trump as a sexist, racist, xenophobe, homophobe and every other phobe and ism they could think of since basically day 1 might also be a tactic?
I don´t think "the media" are entirely innocent, but that doesn´t make Trumps bullshit taste any better.
Maybe you are stuck in the current google-able news, but I remember things a few months back.
Unfortunately back then I wasn´t reading American news on the issue… Its also possible that the media stopped comparing Corona to the Flu, but Trump still did it. I don´t know.
Find an archived version and I'll consider it, but given how the news media have fact checked things before, I do not put much stock in them covering their own asses.
I think I am just going to copy paste the important parts from my mobile phone later…
I am not familiar with what you are talking about. As far as I know, it is not clear that a vaccine when it is developed will be any more effective against covid as the flu vaccine is against the flu, because the virus is mutation prone and considering that there are studies that claim that an asymptomatic strain has taken hold in many places, the situation is not as simple as just make a vaccine.
I wasn´t talking about a cure for the Corona virus, but About this -
Trump had sent dozens of tweets linking vaccinations with autism, such as one in 2014 that read: “Healthy young child goes to doctor, gets pumped with massive shot of many vaccines, doesn’t feel good and changes – AUTISM. Many such cases!”
To be fair, according to this article Trump stopped linking vaccines with Autism since he became president... but the damage is already done.

https://www.psypost.org/2020/04/new-stu ... ters-56359
Ghost, that's called trying to give people hope. In case you haven't noticed, the shutdown has kind of created a lot of social tensions. Trump is not as stupid as you think he is.
The experts are also not always correct. It is in their nature to only know about one thing and to focus exclusively on it. The president has to take their advice in as part of a bigger picture.
False hope more like it...
There is a bigger picture at play here. We can't just keep things closed until who knows when.
So why aren´t medical experts saying this??
Well, I can't open this one, because they apparently don't like my country, but I found the oh-so-trustworthy politifact and here's their summary:
- Around the time the Trump administration announced the travel restriction, Biden said that Trump had a “record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering.”
- Biden used the phrase “xenophobic” in reply to a Trump tweet about limiting entry to travelers from China and in which Trump described the coronavirus as the “Chinese virus.” Biden did not spell out which part of Trump’s tweet was xenophobic.

I'm going to translate "mostly false" as "it's true, but we don't want to say it is". Are you kidding me?
That's as if i said: "I didn't call you racist. I just said that you walk, talk and quack like a racist."
Xenophobic isn´t racist. Besides, I think Trump not only accused Biden of accusing him of racism, but also democrats in general.

But it doesn't sicken you that Trump's political opponents and the news media have been calling him every -ist and -phobe they can think of, implying that he's a puppet for Putin, that he sucks of Kim Jong-Un on a regular, that he has blood on his hands, etc. etc.
No of course not, but it doesn´t make Trump more likeable either...

Just look at his smug reply when asked whether we should torture people or not... and I don´t even have a Problem with the Statement that torture works. I think it might very well work but the way Trump asks for even WORSE methods of tortures than waterboarding just sickens me. We shouldn´t abandon our own values just because we are fighting people like ISIS.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Ghost13
Justice League

Mon May 18, 2020 1:34 pm

Here are the relevant parts of the Crenshaw article -
Spoiler: Show
Jan. 31: Crenshaw says Trump implements China travel restrictions “even though things like the World Health Organization were saying ‘no need to limit trade and movement,’ and they largely criticized President Trump’s travel restrictions.”

This is an incorrect summary of the WHO’s comments on travel bans. The headline shown on the screen comes from Reuters on Feb. 3 and says, “WHO chief says widespread travel bans not needed to beat China virus.” In the story, the WHO’s head, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, doesn’t say there is “no need” for travel bans at all; he instead says there was no need to “unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade.” He is quoted saying, “We call on all countries to implement decisions that are evidence-based and consistent.” That’s not saying there should be no bans but instead that countries should be judicious with them.

Crenshaw also repeated Trump’s claim that the WHO “largely criticized” the president’s travel restrictions; STAT News has found no evidence to bolster that claim.

Crenshaw adds it was the “same day, Jan. 31, that Nancy Pelosi proposed the No Ban Act, which would actually stop President Trump from implementing the lifesaving travel restrictions that he did implement.”

Pelosi didn’t propose the No Ban Act on Jan. 31. The bill had been introduced by another member a year ago. Nor did she take the action in response to the China restrictions; she had announced days earlier the bill would be taken up in response to reports previewing Trump’s expanded ban on travel from some majority-Muslim countries.

What’s more, the No Ban Act wouldn’t “stop President Trump from implementing the lifesaving travel restrictions.” In fact, while the act requires more significant and documented justification for travel bans, it affirms a president’s authority in such cases.

Per the language of the bill, if the administration “determines … that the entry of any aliens or any class of aliens into the United States would undermine the security or public safety of the United States or the preservation of human rights, democratic processes or institutions, or international stability, the President may temporarily … suspend the entry of such aliens or class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants or … impose any restrictions on the entry of such aliens that the President deems appropriate."

Feb. 4: “Let’s not forget that President Trump did talk about the coronavirus in the State of the Union on Feb. 4. What happened to that State of the Union? That happened.” (Video plays of Pelosi ripping up her copy of the speech after Trump finished.)

Crenshaw notably doesn’t relay what Trump actually said about the virus in his State of the Union. In the speech, Trump said, “We are coordinating with the Chinese government and working closely together on the coronavirus outbreak in China. My administration will take all necessary steps to safeguard our citizens from this threat.”

It was among comments around that time in which Trump played up the coordination between the two countries, even as figures within his administration were privately bemoaning the lack of cooperation from China. It’s also worth noting that just about all of Trump’s other comments around this time downplayed the actual threat.

“Fast forward a couple weeks when the president actually asked Congress for supplemental funding to combat the virus. What did Nancy Pelosi do? Instead of putting that money on the House floor to be voted on, she put a bill to ban flavored tobacco.”

As PolitiFact has noted, there were ongoing negotiations about the funding package until early March. The Trump administration also asked for the funding on Feb. 24, when the bill on flavored tobacco and vaping products already was on the agenda. The GOP-controlled Senate at the time was taking up antiabortion-rights bills.

March 12: Trump announced Europe restrictions, which Crenshaw said prompted “widespread criticism. ‘How could you do this?’ ‘What’s the point of this?’ Well, does this really sound like an administration that’s in denial about this? Of course not.”

In making this point, Crenshaw showed headlines raising questions about the Europe ban Trump announced. Most of those headlines weren’t questioning the need for the ban. Instead, they pointed to the selective nature of the countries involved — i.e. exempting some countries in which Trump has businesses interests — or simply reported that the European Union objected to the ban, rather than journalists taking positions themselves.

Here are the headlines Crenshaw used:

Image without a caption
Again, it’s another great example of misconstruing the actual resistance to Trump’s travel restrictions.

“This is the main point here: If we’re going to look back in time and try to suggest that our government should have shut everything down back in February, well, where’s the evidence for that? Were we really going to shut things down when our cases hadn’t really started to increase — when it barely started to increase in places like Italy or Iran? Of course not, they didn’t shut things down until way later.”

This is a false choice that Trump has referred to repeatedly. It pretends as if the decision was between the little that the federal government did in February and a total shutdown of the country. In fact, there were few calls for a shutdown in February — when, as Crenshaw notes, even countries that were hit harder at the time than the United States hadn’t taken that step. Trump has sought to suggest critics wanted things shut down in January, despite there being very few cases at the time
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Mon May 18, 2020 5:21 pm

Ghost13 wrote:
I don´t think "the media" are entirely innocent, but that doesn´t make Trumps bullshit taste any better.
Yes, Trump is a boastful egocentric who likes the sound of his own voice and often says things (that seem) not thought through enough. However, I'm of the opinion that much of his bad image is overblown or outright fabricated by news media who have a very obvious bias against him.

Thing is, if they just tried to make less of a spectacle of it and didn't lie so much, they could do so much more damage to Trump than they are doing now.
Ghost13 wrote:
Maybe you are stuck in the current google-able news, but I remember things a few months back.
Unfortunately back then I wasn´t reading American news on the issue… Its also possible that the media stopped comparing Corona to the Flu, but Trump still did it. I don´t know.
Everyone, American, global and local (Croatian in my case) was bullshitting up a storm about how this was not that serious, how it wasn't going to escape China, etc. etc. Thing is, Trump was probably repeating things he heard from the very news media that are now nailing him against the wall for it.

The only people that were sounding alarm bells were what are today refered to as non-authoritative sources and Taiwanese authorities, that went largely unreported in the wider world.
Ghost13 wrote:
Find an archived version and I'll consider it, but given how the news media have fact checked things before, I do not put much stock in them covering their own asses.
I think I am just going to copy paste the important parts from my mobile phone later…
Cool, thanks.
Ghost13 wrote:
I wasn´t talking about a cure for the Corona virus, but About this -
Trump had sent dozens of tweets linking vaccinations with autism, such as one in 2014 that read: “Healthy young child goes to doctor, gets pumped with massive shot of many vaccines, doesn’t feel good and changes – AUTISM. Many such cases!”
To be fair, according to this article Trump stopped linking vaccines with Autism since he became president... but the damage is already done.

https://www.psypost.org/2020/04/new-stu ... ters-56359
Maybe. Trump is known for talking shit and he hung around hollywood and other types that often have these kinds of causes. I imagine he probably believed it at some point, but I think he is smart enough to listen to medical experts who sit him down and explain things to him properly.

I've even heard some that some people are now freaking out that he is going to make corona vaccination mandatory and administered by the military...

Until he actually does something one way or the other, i don't see any real damage done. He seems to be deferring medical decisions to the experts thus far for the most part.
Ghost13 wrote:
False hope more like it...
Perhaps, but that too is part of leadership. A leader who is incapable of demonstrating resolve and optimism in difficult times is not going to have much to lead all too soon.
Ghost13 wrote:
There is a bigger picture at play here. We can't just keep things closed until who knows when.
So why aren´t medical experts saying this??
Because it is not their job to do so. Their job is to provide the medical perspective and options, just like how it is generals' job to provide military perspective and options and not stick their nose in things outside of their specialty and expertise.
It is the role of leadership to make the decision based on the input of various experts and as much reliable information as can be gathered.
Ghost13 wrote:

Xenophobic isn´t racist. Besides, I think Trump not only accused Biden of accusing him of racism, but also democrats in general.
Is that really that far fetched and untrue of an accusation? The democrats have largely been accusing of that and more for years.
Ghost13 wrote:
No of course not, but it doesn´t make Trump more likeable either...
I don't expect you to think Trump is likeable, but is it possible that the reason you have such a negative opinion and reaction to Trump is based on biased and potentially overblown/fabricated information disseminated from a news media that clearly has it in for him?
Ghost13 wrote:

Just look at his smug reply when asked whether we should torture people or not... and I don´t even have a Problem with the Statement that torture works. I think it might very well work but the way Trump asks for even WORSE methods of tortures than waterboarding just sickens me. We shouldn´t abandon our own values just because we are fighting people like ISIS.
You are right and Trump is wrong on this and other things. However, he is not uniquely evil. Most of his worst actions and beliefs can be explained as emotional, misguided and not well thought through, rather than outright malicious.

There are other presidents in recent history who in my opinion hid their true malice behind a facade of stupidity.
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm

And what are your thoughts on the Crenshaw article?
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Wed May 20, 2020 3:35 pm

Ghost13 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm
And what are your thoughts on the Crenshaw article?
It's an interesting counter to his points but I see a lot of weasel words there.

For instance, the first part about the WHO and their not-claim that there is no need for a ban.
Yeah, they didn't say it explicitly, but you can't tell me that the quotes used in the fact check do not strongly imply it.
... the WHO’s head, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, doesn’t say there is “no need” for travel bans at all; he instead says there was no need to “unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade.” He is quoted saying, “We call on all countries to implement decisions that are evidence-based and consistent.” That’s not saying there should be no bans but instead that countries should be judicious with them.
*I'm not saying there is no need to lock your door, just that there is no need to unnecessarily restrict ingress and egress of people through your front door. I call upon you to implement this decision based on evidence and consistency."
Within context of what was happening at the time, namely countries around the world implementing restrictions on travel from China, what else could "no need to unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade” reffer to and mean?

They are using weasel words to pretend that political speech does not say exactly what it says in an indirect fashion.

The rest of the article is ok, but also rather weaselly.

For instance, at the end there is one rather obvious one. Crenshaw mentions that people are criticizing the administration for not doing more in February, now in hindsight, but the fact check is "Nobody was arguing for a shutdown in February"
That's not his point. His point is that people are being generals after the battle and criticsing the administration for not doing more at a point in time when no one knew more could, should or needed to be done.

The other points are marginally better on the weasel words front and given the, imo, untrustworthy nature of these biased fact-checking organisations, I take it under consideration, but with a truckload of salt.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:58 pm

Self-loathing guilty white american "liberals" are some of the most obtuse anf oblivios people on this planet.

0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:45 pm

Yep. I am tired of hearing that all the violence is to get some attention to make change. Well they kept doing it and nothing changes to make the black communities better so maybe it doesn't work. The very definition of insanity.
0 x
FU DC

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:03 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnic ... s/%3famp=1

This is absolutely outrageous, toxic, racist, whitesupreme and utterly unacceptable from Apple.

Apple has decided to brick the phones peacefully protested away from Apple stores by righteously and rightfully sad and mourning people of non-privilege.

They are clearly demonstrating their true values here, which are racist, sexist, police supporting, whitesupreme fascism. Absolutely disgusting!

Tim Apple's little spiel there at the end is not any kind of compensation.

Apple should not only unlock these peaceful protesters' devices they rightfully appropriated, but should give them two more of the same device for free, to help them deal with their grief.
Every single apple employee should have to line up in fornt of their stores and have to kneel down to every single black and brown body that passes them by!

For shame, Apple! For shame!!1
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:31 am

LOL. You should be careful putting this out there as lately crazier shit seems to be happening.
0 x
FU DC

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:18 am

You mean something like this:

https://diverseeducation.com/article/180393/

Thousands of Scientists Went on Strike Wednesday to Protest Racism in STEM, Academia
“As members of the global academic and STEM communities, we have an enormous ethical obligation to stop doing ‘business as usual,’” said a statement from the protest organizers. “Black academic and Black STEM professionals are hurting because they exist in and are attacked by institutional and systemic racism. … For Black academics and STEM professionals, #ShutDownAcademia and #ShutDownSTEM is a time to prioritize their needs— whether that is to rest, reflect, or to act— without incurring additional cumulative disadvantage.”

Brian Nord, a Black astrophysicist who works at particle physics and accelerator laboratory Fermilab and is an organizer of #ShutDownStem, described to Gizmodo how racism rears its head even toward Black scientists who make it into academia.

“When [the academic community] does try to show the value of diversity and inclusion, they do it by having those who are already marginalized do the work of their own liberation,” Brian Nord, research scientist at Fermilab, told Gizmodo. “They have us who are already embedded in that system and facing the problems that the system created do these activities and join these committees and all of these things that have ultimately been shown just to be window dressing … There has not been real investment and commitment in us.

One social media account, called Minorities in STEM, lauded the work of academics of color in the sciences.

“Special shoutout to ALL MINORITIES IN STEM. You are not only destroying the systemic racism that exists in many parts of the [world] but you are creating a just & equal earth for the unborn! Future generations thank you! Don’t give up now,” said a tweet by the group.
My god... Soon science will not be scientific enough unless it agrees sufficiently with a very specific ideology.
That sounds familiar for some reason. Something about a guy called Zhdanov...

but you know what, if these people are actually serious about this, let every white scientist quit their job and free up space for a person of non-privilege.
Don't be cowards. Go all the way, you stunning and brave white saviours!
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 am

In this rather dificult year and times that seems to be a culmination of some very disturbing trends that have been building for over a decade and the many shameful decisions made recently, it would do well for all to heed this message:

0 x