Teela and the Masters of the Universe

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Teela and the Masters of the Universe

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:12 pm

Lets get this shit out of the way. I'll probably do this in multiple posts and there will be spoilers.

Not even gonna bother with that shit for this garbage.

All in all, the show is bad on it's own, but it is that much worse as a continuation of this IP, if you can call it that.
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Captain Marvel (Shazam)

Re: Teela and the Masters of the Universe

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:14 pm

As I said, I like how the second episode ended. Really great character moment for Cringer (he is starting to become my favourite character, alongside Teelas companion, who was pretty well designed). I actually look forward to seeing a new episode soon. Hopefully my opinion will slightly counterbalance all this "this show is the worst" bullshit.
0 x
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:17 pm

Let's get the few good things out of the way first.
The animation and artstyle are for the most part top notch, which is to be expected from this studio.

Despite the show shitting on Adam and Duncan, their core character of being heroic, selfless and self-sacrificing comes through and they are thus arguably the most, if not only, likeable characters in the show.

I do not count the blatant emotional manipulation with Orko before killing him off.

That's about it.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:51 pm

Let's get the story out of the way, as it is a bit simpler to deal with before going deeper into the characters and the underlying meta-themes.

Full spoilers ahead. Last warning.

In the first episode, Skeletor manages to successfully attack Castle Grayskull, which is revealed to be a fucking hologram for the real thing, by disguising himself as a captured minion and one of his minions disguising himself as He-Man.
The Sorceress falls for it and calls He-Man for help. Adam transforms into He-Man in a Sailor Moon transformation sequence and he and the others run to defend the castle.
During the fight, Skeletor ceacks the Orb of magic and the world starts exploding, only for He-Man to absorb all the energy into the Sword of Power and only he and Skeletor die, saving the world. During this sacrifice, Teela finds out He-Man is Adam.
Back at the palace, Duncan informs king Randor and queen Marlena that Adam/He-Man is dead and gets banished for keeping the secret and Teela gets all bent out of shape that everyone was lying to her, including Adam, tells them all to go to hell and leaves.
Episode 2, Time skip happens. The world is fucked and Teela is a mercenary along with Andra, her friend who is a girl that she shares tender, longing stares with. They get tasked to recover a chalice from Snake mountain, where Tri-clops has setup some kind of techno-cult thing. After returning the chalice, the client is revealed to be Evilyn in disguise and the chalice transforms into thw skullhead from Skeletors staff.
They make their way to castle grayskull to meet the sroceress where it is expositioned how the world is dying without magic and Teela tells them to sod off becuase she hates magic and has to be convinced into doing the right thing by Andra and Cringer.
Episode 3, they need Duncan to reforge the Sword of Power. They find Duncan who is tending to a dying Orko. Instead of Duncan going with them, Roboto goes with them to find the two pieces of the Sword of Power as well as Orko, while Duncan is sent to grayskull to gurad the sorceress.
Except he isn't because he comes back out of nowhere to save the gang from Mer-Man, and then goes to Grayskull, while the others make thwir way to Subgernia/Hell. Some character talk is espoused, like Evilyn bemoaning that she subordinated her own desires to further Skeletor's and how she could have been the big bad if she really wanted to.
Episode 4, they go to Subternia to find one of the pieces of the sword. They find it, Teela's true fear is revealed to be that she is extra special and important but is running away from it. Orko sacrifices himself so the gang can escape to Pretwrnia/Heaven.
Episode 5, the gang find Adam, he gives them the other half of the sword. Part of the gang goes to reforge the sword, during which Roboto dies.
The other heroes and the script basically make fun of Adam incesantly, Teela bitches him out that he lied to her and that she couldn't mourn her best friend's death because she was so angry at him.
Adam figures out that they wouldn't be here if something bad wasn't hapening back home.
He decides to leav preternia with them, despute everyone telling him if he dies again, he stops existing, not coming back to Preternia.
They come back to Eternia by castle grayskull, the powersword reforges the magic orb and saves the world and as Adam is about turn into He-Man, Skeletor magically manfiests himself from Evilyn's staff and stabs him, takes the sword of power and becomes Skele-God.

So, when all is said and done, the story is quite literally back to where it started.

On a technical level, it feels like they crammed in as much as they possibly could in five 23 minute episodes. Shit moves absurdly fast that plotpoints are intorduced and resolves within minutes in the same episode.
I found myself unable to get invested in anything, because it was going by so fast. To boot, they added some pointless timewasters that go counter to what was established literally minutes before, like the Mer-Man attack and Duncan appearing out of nowhere.

The story moves at the speed of sound, yet in the end achieves nothing. There isn't even room for much character spotlighting, let alone development.
At the end of episode 5, everyone is essentially what they were at the start of episode 2. Nothing has really changed.
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:01 pm

I doubt spoiling the whole show will lead to a fairer assessment of it.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:55 pm

They put He-Man front and center in all their marketing and he's barely in the show, that alone is enough to earn you a paddling. The fact that the writing is horrible brings it up to pure trash.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

Ghost13
Justice League

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:24 pm

Grendle1853 wrote:
They put He-Man front and center in all their marketing and he's barely in the show, that alone is enough to earn you a paddling. The fact that the writing is horrible brings it up to pure trash.
Oh, I know what would have been the fan response if He-Man had been sidelined in the marketing :grin:
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

ISAK
Titan

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:41 pm

Ghost13 wrote:
Grendle1853 wrote:
Oh, I know what would have been the fan response if He-Man had been sidelined in the marketing :grin:
So? Do a show about He-Man then if they're so worried about fans not accepting a show about Teela. Much better than all this shady business.
1 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:48 pm

ISAK wrote:
Ghost13 wrote:
Grendle1853 wrote:
So? Do a show about He-Man then if they're so worried about fans not accepting a show about Teela. Much better than all this shady business.
Well, the writers wanted Teela.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

ISAK
Titan

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:29 pm

Ghost13 wrote:
ISAK wrote:
Ghost13 wrote:

Then they should have just done the show about Teela and been honest and brave about it. Marketed the show as such and did the merchandizing on her. I'm sure the blowback wouldn't have been this ugly.
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:40 pm

ISAK wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:29 pm
Ghost13 wrote:
ISAK wrote:

Then they should have just done the show about Teela and been honest and brave about it. Marketed the show as such and did the merchandizing on her. I'm sure the blowback wouldn't have been this ugly.
Maybe, but these people have no interest in quality. They´ve basicly indoctrinated themselves to hate everything "woke". Which can mean anything vaguely progressive. I´ll assume the worst in this situation.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:11 pm

Or maybe most of the "woke" stuff is crappy storytelling.
0 x
FU DC

Ghost13
Justice League

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:19 pm

DaisyJane wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:11 pm
Or maybe most of the "woke" stuff is crappy storytelling.
Why? Is Lovecraft a bad horror author because some of his stories have regressive themes? Or Howard? You don't have a nuanced view on things. And you are very petulant.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:48 pm

It's really not worth having this conversation with Ghost13. He doesn't like what he likes despite it sucking, he likes it because it sucks. It's like trying to convince a fly that shit doesn't taste good. Once you understand that then you can be at peace with the dude.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

Ghost13
Justice League

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:51 pm

Grendle1853 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:48 pm
It's really not worth having this conversation with Ghost13. He doesn't like what he likes despite it sucking, he likes it because it sucks. It's like trying to convince a fly that shit doesn't taste good. Once you understand that then you can be at peace with the dude.
Brilliant analysis dude. Got any examples of this?
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:08 am

Now lets get into the characters. I'm probably going to do all of this in multiple posts as I'm squeezing this in between work and work, work at home and family time.

The characters can be separated into 3 categories: The main characters, the secondary characters and the background props that talk.

The main cast are the characters that are present in most episodes and who are the main driving force of the plot, such as it is.
The main cast consist of Teela, or this thing wearing her skin, her sidekick Andra and Evil-lyn. So basically this picture, but remove Orko and Roboto:

The secondary cast is characters that are important to the story or sort of prominent, but appear in maybe 2 episodes and have a total screentime less than one episode.
Oddly enough for a He-Man show, prince Adam and He-Man are secondary characters, sa well as disgracced no-longer Man-At-Arms, Duncan and Skeletor.

The Background props that talk are most of the rest. I put Roboto and Orko in there too, becuase Roboto is largely a plot device for reforging the sword of power and Orko was put there to emotionally manipulate the audience and then kill him off. So, this would include most of the villains from the old show, Queen Marlena and king Randor, that epic asshole, The sorceress, the heroes in Preternia and Scare Glow in Subternia.

I'll go over their various characters and their character design. I'll probably discuss some plot points and holes related to them as well, as I wanted to portray how frenetic the storytelling was in the part post about the story previously.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:55 am

I would like to bitch about one plot hole for a bit, as it just came back to me.

The way Teela and Andra infiltrate Snake Mountain is by using a fall trap that Teela remembers from her past and quite literally digging under the fucking castle.

Holy fucking shit, if it was that god damn easy, why in fucks name did nobody dig some world war 1 style tunnels under the fucking thing previously, place every explosive on the planet under it and blow all the evil world threatening villains to smithereens and then pissed on the crater for good measure?

This is not immersion breaking or suspension of disbelief breaking, this is world building and lore breaking on the level of the Last Jedi hyperspace ramming.
Fantastic writing.
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:32 am

Oddly enough for a He-Man show, prince Adam and He-Man are secondary characters, sa well as disgracced no-longer Man-At-Arms, Duncan and Skeletor.
Masters of the Universe: Revelation. What about the title don´t you understand??
Holy fucking shit, if it was that god damn easy, why in fucks name did nobody dig some world war 1 style tunnels under the fucking thing previously, place every explosive on the planet under it and blow all the evil world threatening villains to smithereens and then pissed on the crater for good measure?

This is not immersion breaking or suspension of disbelief breaking, this is world building and lore breaking on the level of the Last Jedi hyperspace ramming.
Fantastic writing.
Maybe because it is based on a fucking kids show? Do these heroes even kill?? Otherwise this would be just like asking why Jason or some other batfamily member doesn´t blow up Arkham Asylum.

Maybe this is suspension of disbelief breaking...or maybe its fucking stupid.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft

Darkknightsvengence
Justice League

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:29 pm

Ghost13 wrote:
Masters of the Universe: Revelation. What about the title don´t you understand??

Fantastic writing.
Maybe because it is based on a fucking kids show? Do these heroes even kill?? Otherwise this would be just like asking why Jason or some other batfamily member doesn´t blow up Arkham Asylum.

I think Skeletor even referenced it when he-man stabs him, saying you finally used that sword for its purpose or something given that well it being a kids show meant he used his hands instead of his sword when he fought Skeletor.
0 x
Hail to the King Baby

Ghost13
Justice League

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:37 pm

Darkknightsvengence wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:29 pm
Ghost13 wrote:

Fantastic writing.

I think Skeletor even referenced it when he-man stabs him, saying you finally used that sword for its purpose or something given that well it being a kids show meant he used his hands instead of his sword when he fought Skeletor.
Yeah, that's actually a nice moment. Sure the show has its weaknesses, but it's not all black and white.
0 x

― H.P. Lovecraft