Kenobi 2022 Series

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Kenobi 2022 Series

Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:53 am

So, I just watched the first 3 out of 6 episodes and... it's not going that well.

First, let's get some of the good out of the way. The old guard cast, like Ewan McGregor, Hayden and Jimmy Smits (Bail Organa) are great and their characters are written (mostly) well. It's all the new Disney-fied characters that suck...

The idea to release the first 2 episodes as a bundle and the rest in weekly instalments was very smart in this age of binge watching and I remember saying that not doing so for Book of Boba Fett was one of the things that tanked that series.

Now, onto the bad stuff.
This show has definitely been definitely Disney-fied and PG-crippled, in some respects, but then in others it isn't.

For example, in episode one the inquisitors are going after a jedi hiding on Tatooine and at the end of the episode, his body is hung from the gate. However, his body is hung such that ropes were tied around his chest and he's hanging there, looking like he's sleeping. They couldn't even portray him being hung by the neck, or hung upside-down with a lightsaber wound across his body or something...

Then in episode 3, Kenobi murders a bunch of Stromtroopers with a blaster and one of them falls on a laser gate and gets cut in half. Then later in the episode some real dark as fuck shit happens when
Spoiler: Show
Darth Vader shows up on the planet and starts murdering people left and right with the Force, including snaping a child's neck.
Inquisitor Strong Independent Black Woman is... Well, in Episode 3 when she has to act without speaking, she's surprisingly good and she nailed being scarred to death of Darth Vader, even over a hologram call, which is great, but the moment she opens her mouth, it all falls apart.

The actress simply does not have the presence or gravitas to come off as intimidating and her voice just sounds whiny. It's like watching a child trying to act all tough and intimidating, but because they can't actually be intimidating, they start lashing out.

Man, the show really wants the audience to think she's cool and like her. They give her a Batman on the rooftop scene, they give her a parkouring over rooftops scene, she is the one who tells Obi-Wan that Anakin is alive, she arranges the kidnapping of Leia to bring Kenobi out of hiding... They are pushing her so hard, it's off-putting, especially when there is an obvious fucking diversity agenda behind it.

It doesn't help that the show doesn't seem to have a consistent idea of what her deal is in the hierarchy of the Inquisitors and how the other treat her. The other Inquisitors treat her like shit, tell her to her face that she is the least of them, the Fifth brother even overpowers her with the Force at one point and yet at the same time she backtalks, she is insubordinate and she even stabs the Grand Inquisitor with her lightsaber.

If she is really that inferior in the hierarchy of DARK JEDI, she should be dead in the first 10 minutes of the first episode when she fucks up the Grand Inquisitor's interrogation.

That said, she is not the worst character. Holy hell, does that dishonour go to brat Leia.
Seriously, up until the last twenty minutes of episode 3, Leia is insufferable, because only then does she start acting like an actual 10 year old kid that's been kidnapped and taken away from her home. Prior to that, she's sassy and oh-so-smart and uppity and so on and so on.

She has a line she says to Obi-Wan: "Since I've met you, I've been kidnapped, chased, shot at and almost fell off a roof" and you can almost hear the sassy fingersnapps of the writer who wrote that, the problem being that every single one of those things Leia brought about on her self and Obi-Wan came into the picture after and because she was kidnapped.

Basically, she acts and talks like a know-it-all 40 year old trapped in a 10 year old girls body, meaning the writer and it doesn't work. Again, when she drops that stupid act and admits that she's scared and wants to go home, like a kidnapped 10 year old would, she's great so it's not the actress, it's the shitty writing, the permanent Achilles heel of Disney Star Wars...

The action in the show also vacillates from awesome to awful.
Some of Obi-Wan's fights are really well choreographed and shot, but then he can't outrun a 10 year old girl. He can shoot perfectly with a blaster pistol when the plot needs him to, but when the plot says he can't, he can't hit a an exposed dude from 10 meters away...
The Leia chase scenes really are the bottom of the barrel, both the one when Obi-Wan chases her on the rooftops, but especially the one where the kidnappers chase after he in the forest on Alderaan.

The Leia actress doesn't so much run as lightly jogs, so all the actors around her have to accommodate and it looks pathetic. At one point she crawls under a branch that's just barely as tall as the chest of the mercenary pursuing her and when Leia crawls under it, the merc stands there dumbfounded not knowing what to do when it is obvious she could either crawl under it or over it.

The shoot-out at the imperial checkpoint is a great example of plot driven action. Obi-Wan manages to kill 5 Stormtroopers at the checkpoint, some of them basically in cover and one of them holding Leia as a human shield no problem, but then they take one step beyond the checkpoint and an imperial transport arrives and 3 Stormtroopers disembark from it in broad daylight and with no cover, but he doesn't even try to shoot them and starts surrendering and is saved by Diverse Female Rouge Imperial Officer who shoots the Stormtroopers in the back.

She also saves his ass from Vader later on...

That said, Diverse Female Rouge Imperial Officer is written well as a character and acted well, it's just that again, 'she's the real HER-o, not this Kenobi guy" vibe it portrays.

And that's really the crux of a lot of the frustration and given that I watched this with my normie wife and she was yelling at the screen as much as I was, it's not some fanboyism on my port.

The series is called Kenobi and it's half way over and the title character is basically being carried through it by everyone the fuck else.

The best bits of the series really are Kenobi, Vader and the occasional call back and legacy characters.
While I dislike the full direction of where they are taking Kenobi and the retconning of some of the established cannon, what they give us with the character is good. His disillusionment, his PTSD like symptoms, his desparation, there is potential there and Ewan McGreggor, despite being a cheating piece of shit (sorry, couldn't help myself), does act it out well.

What doesn't make sense is that he has gotten so out of touch and shape with the Force. I mean, he is on a mission to protect Luke. It's what he and Yoda devised a plan around at the end of Revenge of the Sith and the New Hope that is supposed to save them from the dark times they are in.
No matter how emotionally fucked he may be, he should not have allowed himself to be this weak.

At the checkpoint, old Obi-Wan would jedi mindtrick the guard to let them through. When he's chasing Leia and she falls off of the roof, he barely catches her with the force and clearly has to strain to do it.

With that said, the confrontation between him and Vader in episode 3 does work, but it is largely carried by Vader being utterly brutal.

I don't know what to think about this series. There's a lot of potential there, but there is so much crap just weighing it down...
If this series tanks and some of the rumors of how it ends I'm hearing are not giving me hope, I am giving up on Star Wars.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Re: Kenobi 2022 Series

Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:48 am

I was never a big fan of the Prequels, and I didn't think Disney would handle it any better than the rest of their Star Wars stuff. The Mandalorian was a fluke. The base of the idea seems just wrong and stupid for me, as does what I've heard has happened so far.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:48 am

I agree with the critique of the Reva character. If you want to skip the internet drama intro, skip to 2:30.

I agree, Reva is a walking talking plot point, plot contrivance and plot hole.

I am not sure i extended my condemnation to the series as a whole just yet, like the author of the video.

Personally, i do not care about the actress what so ever and because she managed to act certain scenes that required her to empte without talking very well, imo, i am cobvinced that the person responsible for Reva's terrible characte is the writer or writers.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:32 am

Again, I agree with all the plothole and character assassination call outs, though i'm not yet ready to condemn it completely.

This isn't nitpickibg, this is terrible writing.

0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:30 am

Episode 4 out of 6(!!!) came and went short as fuck, but filled to the brim with suck and stupidity.

The writing in this show is abysmal!

There is a scene where Tala, the imperial officer rebel agent literally talks to Obi-Wan on a communicator while surrounded by 5 other imperial officers and nobody nptices shit.
Then a supervisor officer comes around, asks what the fuck she is doing here and calls her over to a different part of the ROOM, where she knocks him out and gets back and NONE of the 5 other fuckers in the room notice shit.

The only good thing about the episode was Obi-Wan finally doing force and lightsaber shit again, but he magically is almost expert again after being all but useless at the start of the episode, unable to move a fucking peice of scrap with the force, but then later on holding back the ocean from collapsing into the tunnel.

This is filled to the brim with plot holes and contrived convenience writing with chaeacters being randomly smart or stupid depending on the needs of the plot.

Then Inquisitor Strong Independent Black Woman can just deflect turbolasers from a T47 speeder somehow.

There's just too much dumb to talk about here.
Even if all the actors were world class, which they aren't, they couldn't save this garbage tier writing.

This show fucking sucks and if it doesn't magically become godly in thr next episode, this show and my give-a-fuck-ability for star wars as a whole under Disney's boot are doomed.

It's so bad that even AngryJoe, perenial simp that he is, had to admit the show is garbage.
1 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:56 am

I just finished watching the series.

I will give it the only good credit i can give, namely that the final scenes are actually good and feel good.

With that said, this is got to be one of the most poorly written, cannon destroying, piece of shit shows I have ever fucking seen.

I am absolutely astonished at the level of bad writing in this fucking series.

It's a god damn miracle they were able to film read any script given how absolutely riddled it is with plot holes, which is why they had to rely so much on all the plot convenience, plot armour like you wouldn't believe, characters just knowing things they couldn't possibly have any way of knowing just to move the plot forward, character acting wildly out of character or irrational just to move the plot forward.

It's like the writers had an idea of where they wanted to start and where they wanted to end, what the themes and message stick were and then threw a bunch of shit inbetween.

So much fucking stupidity like you wouldn't believe. Inquisitor Strong Black Woman Who Needs No Man gets stabbed in the gut not once, but twice and she just fucking survives. Once when she was a child in the Jedi Temple and again when Vader runs her through again as an adult.
Again, the same fucking lightsaber that she herself used to cut a metal beam to open a door, apparently doesn't do enough damage to a child or an adult, except it does in the prequels when Palpatine attacks Mace Windu and the other Jedi Masters that have come to arrest him, but they just didn't wear the requisit amount of plot armour.

And then after she gets stabbed through the gut by Vader and left for dead, instead of doing what Vader should do, namely cut her head off and be done with it, she magically teleports to fucking Tatooine to try and kill Luke.

Oh, and this show does Vader no favours. He literally pendulums from evil, smart and ruthless in one scene to stupid and incompetent in another.
He repeatedly leaves people for dead when he has no reason to assume that they are and all because the plot demands it. Just because he does some ool force shit here and there does not make him look god when he acts this dumb.

For a show called Obi-Wan Kenobi, it sure as shit does not want to focus on the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Kenobi is basically carried through this fucking show by the actual main characters: Inquisitor Strong Black Woman, female Imperial officer who defected to the rebels and brat Princess Leia, all of whom the show bends itself into pretzels to accommodate, all to unsubtly manipulate you into liking them as the real heroes of Star Wars, despite their characters being little more than the Strong Female Character trope, only wearing different skins.

What a fucking disaster. Fuck Disney, Fuck Disney Star Wars, fuck the so called writers of this travesty.

I am giving up on Star Wars. I'll watch the rest of Mandalorian and maybe Ahsoka, but my enthusiasm for this IP is gone.
1 x