TITANS the live-action series - TRAILER

ARB
Justice League

Re: TITANS the live-action series - TRAILER

Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:38 pm

While the line about how "Batman was born to punish the guilty" is pretty bad on its own, as it continues to perpetuate this idea about how Batman is someone who lacks compassion and doesn't believe in redemption, when redemption is a central theme of Batman as becoming Batman was before everything else an attempt by Bruce to redeem himself. No the part that really irked me was when Donna told Dick that Bruce filled the hole in his life with "rage and violence" and that he was just an "echo chamber for Bruce's pain". That part really misses pretty much everything about Bruce's relationship with Dick and what Batman is supposed to represent.

I understand what Donna was trying to say, trying to push Dick into becoming his own person away from Bruce's influence, but painting Bruce as a rage monster is not the way to do that. Sure Bruce is not even really in the show, but they're characterizing him in order to push Dick's story, and the way they've done it leaves a lot to be desired. It's not even something unique to Titans, but stripping Bruce off of even the most basic heroic characteristics and intentions is an issue plaguing many iterations of the character today, chief among them is Tom King's current Batman run. It's tiresome to see. I will continue watching the show but I have to be missing a lot of context for me to end up feeling differently.

Comic book fans are a huge part of why comics are in such a terrible state today. I've lost faith in comics fandom a long time ago, and I fully believe that there's no helping them. However, the fault ultimately lies with the publishers themselves who opted nurture the most toxic parts of their readership and bend over to their every whim, until we found ourselves in this current predicament where the average reader is not intelligent enough to do understand anything beyond what's explicitly shown to them on paper. Expecting people to grasp abstract ideas like a character's potential is nothing more than a pipe dream at this point.
1 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:09 am

ARB wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:38 pm
While the line about how "Batman was born to punish the guilty" is pretty bad on its own, as it continues to perpetuate this idea about how Batman is someone who lacks compassion and doesn't believe in redemption, when redemption is a central theme of Batman as becoming Batman was before everything else an attempt by Bruce to redeem himself. No the part that really irked me was when Donna told Dick that Bruce filled the hole in his life with "rage and violence" and that he was just an "echo chamber for Bruce's pain". That part really misses pretty much everything about Bruce's relationship with Dick and what Batman is supposed to represent.

I understand what Donna was trying to say, trying to push Dick into becoming his own person away from Bruce's influence, but painting Bruce as a rage monster is not the way to do that. Sure Bruce is not even really in the show, but they're characterizing him in order to push Dick's story, and the way they've done it leaves a lot to be desired. It's not even something unique to Titans, but stripping Bruce off of even the most basic heroic characteristics and intentions is an issue plaguing many iterations of the character today, chief among them is Tom King's current Batman run. It's tiresome to see. I will continue watching the show but I have to be missing a lot of context for me to end up feeling differently.

Comic book fans are a huge part of why comics are in such a terrible state today. I've lost faith in comics fandom a long time ago, and I fully believe that there's no helping them. However, the fault ultimately lies with the publishers themselves who opted nurture the most toxic parts of their readership and bend over to their every whim, until we found ourselves in this current predicament where the average reader is not intelligent enough to do understand anything beyond what's explicitly shown to them on paper. Expecting people to grasp abstract ideas like a character's potential is nothing more than a pipe dream at this point.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Bruce might not be perfect but his faults are always amplified when it comes to "deconstructing" or even criticizing his character. The reason is as you said the intelligence or lack thereof, of your average comic book fan, who needs everything to be black and white and dogmatically set in stones. Honestly, sometimes I wonder how we got characters like Batman in the first place.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:21 am

Well, that went southwards rather quickly. Episode 2 sucks!

Good thing, the actors they chose look the part and generally act. That's about where it ends though.

Hawk and Dove suck, Raven sucks, the episode storyline sucks. Even Dick who really carries the show so far makes dumb decision after dumb decision.

Why is Raven acting like your average wangsty teenager after what she's been through? Why is Hawk acting all "Dick is a psychopath" when in the same scene he punched some guys head through a cardoor window?

I can already see that "I don't know" is going to be the most repeated line in these entire series.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:55 am

DaisyJane wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:32 pm
It isn't real, it is a mental manipulation of Dick by Trigon. Trigon says at the end of the last episode that he needs to feed off a broken heart before consuming the world. Dick is going to be his first victim.

Agreed. This has to be an implanted thought, or just a good old fashioned dream sequence. No way any of this stuff is actual characterization. I mean a pretty big tell for me was the cops swarming Wayne Manor like that episode of B:TAS where Scarecrow messes with Babs's mind to make her think she died and her dad was trying to hunt Bruce down. Totally a callback I think.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:47 pm

after the sharp drop in episode 2, the show has been going steadily upwards in quality. I can say that I think episode 6 is damn good, despite the not exactly expansive budget.

One thing that is a bit odd is that this really comes off as the Richard Grayson show feat. his friends, more than an ensemble show called the Titans.

I'm starting to like the charaters and actors more and more. I think they did a really good job with Jason Todd in episode 6 and Raven is growing on me.
Starfire is really strong, disregarding the little romp she had with resident DC manwhore Dick Grayson, but hey. Still don't like the racebending casting choice, but outside of that, she's good. If only she'd drop that stupid fur coat, like she did on a few occasions and looked instantly so much better.
I will say, her being black really ruins her colour scheme. They went for a dark purple and relatively dark red hair which basically blends into her fairly dark shade of black skin. Maybe they should have contrasted her clothes and skin more...

I'm not sure I like some of the liberties they took with how the characters' powers work in this show, but I'm soldiering through it.

Anyway, I'm starting to warm up to the show and I'm going to stick out through to the end. I really liked the Jason Todd episode and the Doom Patrol episode.
1 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Episode 9 is hot garbage.

Not only does it derail the entire storyline currently in progress, it does so after a fairly heavy cliffhanger.
It goes back to Hawk and Dove and into their backstories, with some horrendously shitty CGI and tackles some incredibly difficult topics.

Granted, the actors do a good job, but holy shit does this ruin some of the characters. After the way Hank and Dawn bonded and looking at how far back that goes, Dawn sleeping with Dick just feels so wrong and disgusting. I know I called Dick a manwhore not too long ago, but jeez does that fit to the sleaziness that this backstory implies to that tryst.

Why not place this episode right after the Asylum episode? You just wrapped up a storyline, kind of, with that episode, it was the perfect spot to put in a left-field one-off episode like this one, not after starting a new storyline.

In a vacuum and on it's own, this would be a good episode, but holy shit did they fuck it up. And the way they handle Donny and Dawn's mother's character is abysmal. What a travesty...

Episode 10 better be fucking worth this crap.
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:35 pm

What did you think of the Donna Troy episode?
0 x
FU DC

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Donna almost steals the show in her episode and episode 10.

She has some really good banter and relationship with Dick, the actress is pretty good and looks the part. I love how she calls Dick out on his manwhoring ways and that the actress managed to act out the appropriate slightly exaggerated body language in that scene.

The only flaw I could see in her is that she comes off as a bit of a know-it-all, but that's largely because she is being contrasted as having her life together and figured out compared to Dick who quite doesn't.

Episode 10 does recover things rather nicely. How many episodes are left in this season?
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:05 pm

So, episode 11 is pretty good and a really good culmination of what the season was building on Dick's character.
That said, it is a dick move to end the season like this.

All in all, I can say that the show is actually really good and I am glad to be able to say that after the disaster that was the first trailer.

The story is different than what I expected, but I like it as an elseworlds, the characters are pretty good and the actors are both quite good at their craft and mostly well cast (the obvious exceptions being obvious, and even they do a good job)

Looking forward to season 2.
0 x

Phantomstranger
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Phantom Stranger

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:42 pm

I quite liked it the show. The actors were alright and slowly the characters were all well developed. Dick Grayson really reminded me of the early Teen Titans and Titans when Dick had his rift with Bruce and used to be brash, and angry quite often (a far cry from his recent portrayal, barring the current Nightwing series). Raven and Gar were both very well played and Starfire was a pleasant surprise to me as well. Though the Hawk and Dove flashback was a little jarring in terms of pace it was a beautiful origin story. I loved the tale of Hank and Donnie Hall.

Honestly though I picked up on the show because I am a Batman fan and I couldn't resist that Batman was making his small screen return. The design is so spot on Batman and all the gadgets look modern, sleek and cool. The Batmobile looks like such a beautiful beast I had a mile wide grin on my face. Jason being an asshole was a total positive for me because I guess I've always found him to be an asshole. Donna was such a treat. Showing her as a sister and best friend to Dick was the highlight of the series for me. Primarily because it showed how close Bruce and Diana are as well. I mean whenever he is referred to by anybody who knows him like Dick, Jason or Donna a lot of emphasis is paid on how he is a loner, brutal, angry and in a dark place but I take it as the young generations having their perspective on someone older who is also a parental figure (these are characters based on comics, if they don't have parental issues then they have strayed far from their source material). However, I found it telling how in flashbacks we see Donna chilling up in Wayne Manor, very comfortable to be there and looking like its a regular occurrence, while Bruce and Diana are elsewhere (the undying shipper in me paints a lovely picture of them talking after a severe night out on a Joker rampage, Dick and Donna hanging out growing up while Diana decides to come over to the Manor). There are also allusions to his friendship with Superman. This shows that he has those classic friendships and the trinity is strong.

All in all, as someone who has grown up on DC I enjoyed the show. It ended on one hell of a cliffhanger though and I'm in for a second season. Particularly after seeing the end credits.
0 x
Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing. - Camus

He’ll still be here long after I’m dead and forgotten; long after all of us have come and gone, there will be Batman. - Grant Morrison

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Phantom great to hear from you again. I loved the Dick and Donna relationship too and I am so happy to get a really well written and cast Donna. Conor Leslie just nails the character. And the show comes off as an edgier version of the New Titans comics. They honor the source material while adjusting it for the needs of a live action show.
0 x
FU DC

ISAK
Titan

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:05 pm

DC Universe is adding Superboy for the second season of “Titans” and cast Australian actor Joshua Orpin in the role as a series regular.

The “Titans” version of Superboy is described as the angsty Teenager of Steel searching for purpose and the truth about his past. While looking for answers, he crashes into the world of the Titans and finds an unlikely home and surrogate family as well as revelations that carry more complications than he ever bargained for.
https://www.thewrap.com/titans-adds-sup ... -the-role/
I feel they're going to pair this version of Superboy with Donna Troy just because. I don't doubt Geoff John to pull something like this.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:18 pm

ISAK wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:05 pm
DC Universe is adding Superboy for the second season of “Titans” and cast Australian actor Joshua Orpin in the role as a series regular.

The “Titans” version of Superboy is described as the angsty Teenager of Steel searching for purpose and the truth about his past. While looking for answers, he crashes into the world of the Titans and finds an unlikely home and surrogate family as well as revelations that carry more complications than he ever bargained for.
https://www.thewrap.com/titans-adds-sup ... -the-role/
I feel they're going to pair this version of Superboy with Donna Troy just because. I don't doubt Geoff John to pull something like this.
Eh, I'm not so sure. Is Donna even cast as a regular next season, or is she just going to appear more often than last season?
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

ISAK
Titan

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:20 pm

10 of the 13 episodes for the second season will star Superboy. There's also casting calls for Lex Luthor and the Guardian. So we know by now that Superboy will be the big focus. It'll be essentially Geoff Johns' Teen Titans run based. I think Donna Troy will appear regularly. The actress' already sporting a costume.
0 x

ISAK
Titan

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:27 pm

BATMAN ON TITANS
EXCLUSIVE: A new Bruce Wayne is on his way to live-action television: Iain Glen will portray Gotham City’s most famous citizen as a recurring role on Titans when the DC Universe series returns for Season 2 next fall.

For the gritty DC Universe series Titans, Glen will be portraying an older version of Wayne. Here”s the official character description from the producers: “After decades of fighting crime as Batman, billionaire Bruce Wayne is just as driven to protect Gotham from evil as he was in his prime. Needing to reconcile his relationship with Dick Grayson, the duo hope to forge a new dynamic as Bruce tries to help his former sidekick and the Titans achieve success.”
https://deadline.com/2019/04/batman-gam ... 202593583/
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:46 pm

ISAK wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:27 pm
BATMAN ON TITANS
EXCLUSIVE: A new Bruce Wayne is on his way to live-action television: Iain Glen will portray Gotham City’s most famous citizen as a recurring role on Titans when the DC Universe series returns for Season 2 next fall.

For the gritty DC Universe series Titans, Glen will be portraying an older version of Wayne. Here”s the official character description from the producers: “After decades of fighting crime as Batman, billionaire Bruce Wayne is just as driven to protect Gotham from evil as he was in his prime. Needing to reconcile his relationship with Dick Grayson, the duo hope to forge a new dynamic as Bruce tries to help his former sidekick and the Titans achieve success.”
https://deadline.com/2019/04/batman-gam ... 202593583/
OK.........but why ? Why have Bruce be a regular character in a TT show ? (for the $$$ obviously, but still...). Why cast Iain Glen, who's far too old and doesn't look the part at all to play him ? This casting decision doesn't feel like it had any thoughts behind it, as if Bruce's role would be superfluous to the show. I don't get it. I like Iain Glen quite a bit, but he's not an exciting choice in the least. Does that mean there will be no Batman appearance at all ? Because I can't imagine Iain Glen putting on the cowl. The only good thing I can say about the casting, is that Iain Glen at least has the voice to play the part, a first for a Batman actor.

This reminds me of the discussion me and ThatOneGuy had With DJ about how terrible the shows characterization of Bruce was even if his role only amounted to being name dropped by the character (I believe the end of that conversation can be seen on the top of this very page). Now lo and behold, Bruce is made a main supporting character in season 2, and I continue to fear the worst, because Geoff Johns can't write Bruce to save his life.
0 x