Harley Quinn movie.

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Harley Quinn movie.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:34 am

Yeah they call it "Birds of Prey", but that looks to be a lie. Just found out that Harley's random young girl sidekick in the trailer is Casandra Cain. You know while I was originally disappointed in the trailer, I didn't think the movie could actually piss me off. I was wrong.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Re: Harley Quinn movie.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:23 am

What the fuck? That's supposed to be Cass? That's bullshit.

The fuck does Harley have to do with the Birds of Prey? She was part of the Gotham City Sirens, not the Birds of Prey...

Why even call it Birds of Prey? Harley Quinn is WAAAY more recognisable even to normies than god damn Birds of Prey.
Maybe that's why they decided to give the movie that retardedly long subtitle that NO marketing material is going to use.

The fuck is wrong with Hollywood these days? Not only are they political and social cancer, they are utterly incompetent.
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:45 pm

It would have been better to call the movie straight up Harley Quinn and just use whatever the fuck characters they wanted from DC. Black Canary and Huntress are just in name only the characters. Nothing from the clip seems to indicate anything about their character and Dinah is now black. No Oracle who is kind of the core of Birds of Prey and Cass seems to be nothing like her character from the comics either. Cass should be able to fuck Harley up and wouldn't need her for protection. Nothing about this movie makes me want to see it. DCEU or whatever they are doing with their movies now is continuing to suck.
0 x
FU DC

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:28 pm

DaisyJane wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:45 pm
It would have been better to call the movie straight up Harley Quinn and just use whatever the fuck characters they wanted from DC. Black Canary and Huntress are just in name only the characters. Nothing from the clip seems to indicate anything about their character and Dinah is now black. No Oracle who is kind of the core of Birds of Prey and Cass seems to be nothing like her character from the comics either. Cass should be able to fuck Harley up and wouldn't need her for protection. Nothing about this movie makes me want to see it. DCEU or whatever they are doing with their movies now is continuing to suck.
The sad part is I thought the DCEU was on the up. The Aquaman movie was about as good as I could have expected it to be and the Shazam movie was great, then we get hit with this shit.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

Agent DC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Adam Strange

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:25 pm

Yeah, hard pass. I’ve been fed up with Harley since 2016. Now she’s hijacked the Birds of Prey. I don’t care if she’s more marketable and recognised, the BoP and Cass deserve better than to play second fiddle to her. Now even the series will be hijacked by her in the new series as it will bend over backwards as to why they haven’t curb stomped her ass and thrown her into Arkham or belle reve. Hell Helena can call spyral to throw her in a black hole.

Gad and just when I felt they were starting to do something decent they pull this. :angry:
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:42 am

The huts just keep coming on this one

https://heroichollywood.com/ewan-mcgreg ... -misogyny/
Ewan McGregor Says ‘Birds Of Prey’ Will Take A ‘True Look’ At Misogyny

(...)

“What interested me with Birds of Prey is that it’s a feminist film. It is very finely written, it is in the script a true look on the misogyny. And I think we (the men) need that, we need to be more aware of how we behave with the opposite sex. We need to be taught to change. The misogynists in the movies are often extreme: they are raping, they beat women… And it’s legitimate to represent people like that, because they exist and they are obviously the worst. But in the dialogues of Birds of Prey, there is always an allusion to everyday misogyny, to those things that we say as a man we do not even realize, to mansplaining… All this is in the script in a very subtle way. I found that brilliant.”
Obi Wan has fallen to the dark side... oh well, ce la vie...
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:32 am

While I never bothered to watch the trailer they released for the movie, the trailer (or an abridged version at least) did play in front of Joker when I went see that. Yeah the movie looks terrible. Margot Robbie can't pull off Harley's bridge and tunnel accent to save her life, and the casting is just yeesh. I mean no offense to the actress playing Cass, but she's terribly miscast. She looks unrecognizable as the character, and she seemingly behaves like a tag along kid that the BOP's are baby sitting rather than the badass she's supposed to be.

This is clearly a movie made to push an agenda rather than actually tell a good story. I don't care that they're using the BOP instead of the Sirens, as I dislike the latter for obvious reasons and don't care much for the former outside of the absent Babs and Dinah, poor poor Dinah. The hilarious part is how amazing the Joker movie turned out to be, without needing to include Harley or anything else other than the Joker himself and Gotham, and still managing to tell an amazingly compelling story. On the other hand, the marketing for BOP seems to hinge entirely on mocking the Joker's character to show how badass Harley is for ditching him, while ironically playing their trailer in front of the Joker film.

This seems like another heavy handed, juvenile attempt at pushing forward female characters, that ultimately only succeed in showing how weak these characters are when forced into a box just because of their gender. The male characters who proved their success didn't succeed by building a boys club and preventing female characters from participating. The irony in how all the characters in the BOP movie started as offshoots of male characters.must be lost of the film's crew. I'm tired of this immature approach to feminism that comic books and comic book movies have been taking.
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:53 am

While Harley, Huntress and Cass are legacy characters of Batman, Black Canary is not. She was created as her own character and is one of DC's oldest heroines. To me she is probably #2 (Second only to Diana) as one of DC biggest heroines. She doesn't deserve the treatment it looks like she is getting in Birds of Prey. So sad because Dinah is such a well developed character of her own who can stand on her own and honestly could carry her own movie. If DC really wanted to make great superheroine movies they don't need to work that hard as they have so many great and strong ones to choose from that can stand on there own. But it is DC and WB so...
0 x
FU DC

ARB
Justice League

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 am

Of course I'm not saying these characters are derivative or not fully realized in their own right, I was just pointing out how each of these female characters ties to a male figure somehow, which I think might be something that slipped the notice of the film's creators given their immature approach to female empowerment. Yeah among the BOP cast Dinah is the most independent by far, but even she, at least in her modern incarnation, is heavily tied to Green Arrow on one side, and on the other is a Gotham based character where Batman is the most significant heroic figure. So even in Dinah's case she is also strongly defined by her relations to other male characters.

I wasn't trying to make a big point there or anything, it was just an observation that struck me as somewhat ironic given the tone and direction they chose for the film. Dinah is one of my favorite female comic book characters, and one of my favorite DC characters overall, so believe me when I say it pains me to see how they've handled her movie debut. As you said, DC has some of the best and most fully realized female characters in the business, so it baffles me that they feel the need to take this cheap approach of making a movie to get social media buzz rather than letting the characters and the movie speak for themselves. Leave that garbage to Marvel.
0 x

RadicalLogic
Teen Titan

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:19 pm

Forget agendas, this just looks awful regardless. The costumes and designs are garbage, the characters don't seem to be remotely anything like their comic counterparts in likeness or personality and screw Harley Quinn, seriously. She was only ever a midway-decent character when she is playing off the Joker as his tragic victim/sidekick, she's been universally garbage in everything else and drags other characters down with her, like Joker himself and Poison Ivy.

And did DC just completely forget about Lady Blackhawk? Zinda is probably one of the most popular members of the team aside from Barbara, Dinah and Helena and DC now pretends that she never even existed.
0 x
"Garlic deodorant. Jason says it wards off vampires up to ten feet away." - Black Canary

"I suspect it can ward off humans up to a hundred." - Batman

BatsGeek
Teen Titan

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:48 am

Cassandra Cain is best girl...what have they done now? :roll:
0 x