any one seen the boys cause its awesome

no avatar
Morgan banefort
Teen Titan

any one seen the boys cause its awesome

Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:52 pm

The Boys is set in a universe where superpowered individuals are recognized as heroes by the general public and owned by the powerful corporation Vought International, which markets and monetizes them. Outside of their heroic personas, most are arrogant and corrupt. The series primarily focuses on two groups: the Seven, Vought International's premier superhero team, and the titular Boys, vigilantes looking to keep the corrupted heroes under control.

The Boys are led by Billy Butcher, who despises all superpowered people, and the Seven are led by the egotistical and unstable Homelander. As a conflict ensues between the two groups, the series also follows the new members of each team: Hughie Campbell of the Boys, who joins the vigilantes after his girlfriend is killed by one of the Seven; and Annie January / Starlight of the Seven, a young and hopeful heroine forced to face the truth about the heroes she admires.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Re: any one seen the boys cause its awesome

Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:06 pm

Season 1 was amazing. Quite a departure from the original comic, from what I've gathered, but I like it.

Best parts of it are absolutely Homelander and Billy Butcher. The characters are interesting themselves, but holy shit do the actors give it their all.

Haven't started watching season 2. Heard some unfortunate crap about the director infusing "social commentary" into it even harder than in season 1 might hurt the product in the long run for me.
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Captain Marvel (Shazam)

Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:19 pm

Just started watching the show and so far it has been really good :)

I don´t mind that it is quite different from the comics, because from what I´ve heard and seen it isn´t that great. Mostly Garth Ennis shitting on superheroes over and over again without offering any different viewpoint.
0 x
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

― H.P. Lovecraft

BatsGeek
Teen Titan

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:22 am

I've been watching it. Went through all the comics too.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:36 pm

4 episodes in, I'm getting a little worried.

To be clear, I really like what they are doing with Homelander and exploring all the ways he's fucked in the head.

That said, the show has some major pacing problems. Multiple times in an episode, things will be moving ridiculously fast, then followed by things that drag their heels like a man walking the green mile.

I really don't like Stormfront. I feel like I'm being bashed in the face with the message baseball bat whenever she's on screen. The whole alt-right racist thing is also annoying the fuck out of me, though that could be because I'm just so god damn jaded t this point.

But holy shit, what's with all the simultaneous plotlines going on at the same damn time?
Season one had 1 plotline, interspersed with a little bit of Hughie and Annie here and there.

Here, 4 episodes in we have: Homelander and his son, Homelander and Vought, Homelander and all the ways he's fucked in the head, Stormfront's entire shtick, Stormfront and Homelander, Homelander and Starlight, Starlight and A-train, A-train and his shit, The Deep and his fuckery, Billy and his wife, Hughie and Annie, the team barely keepng it together, Hughie falling apart at the seams, Kimiko and her brother, Kimiko's revenge, Frenchie and his issue, Frenchie and Kimiko...

Again, only 4 episodes in! What in the fuck?
0 x

Darkknightsvengence
Justice League

Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Isn't the thing with Stormfront that the character
Spoiler: Show
is literally a Nazi and the first superpowered person?
(warning stuff from the comic which may or may not be accurate to the show.)
0 x
Hail to the King Baby

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:14 am

Yes, he is and she probably is too, but they are really going ham on the alt-right, 4chan, trump-troll, russian-bot thing with her show persona and it's just way too blunt and in your face for me. There's no subtlety with her what so ever.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:49 am

I've been rather down on the season thus far. It felt oddly paced and really wierd in its storytelling.

However, episode 6 really brought me back in a good way. It felt more focused, moved things forward at the right pace and the revelations regarding Stormfront worked quite well.

It even had the humor of the old season back properly. Here's hoping they finally bring it home from here on out.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:11 pm

So I finally finished the season and for all he highs and lows, it ended really strong.

I'v got to say, some of the turnabouts in the last 15 minutes had me at the edge of my seat and were completely unexpected. Certainly left me satisfied with the ending, but I'm not really sure I like what t sets up for the next season.

Compared to everything so far, this setup is kind of bland and boring.

Now, on to the gripes. The political pandering and message stick bashing was so fucking annoying and immersion breaking. The whole thing with Stormfront channelling the alt-right shit is fucking annoying as was the AOC expy character, though what they do with that character does bring things about slightly for me.
On occasion when they weren't waving annoying political buzzwords on screen, I did actually like what they did with Stormfront and Homelander. When she was just a fucking Nazi and wasn't just a puppet used for preaching current day politics in my face, it was actually compelling.

Oh, but her german accent was atrocious . Ok, it wasn't that bad, but as a fluent german speaker, it really fucking grinds my gears. Short scene, but man did it irritate my ears.

Stand out performances are definitely Anthony Starr as Homelander and Karl Urban as Billy Butcher. These could well enough be the roles of their lives and they are giving it their all, which is saying something. The range of emotions, expressions, the ease with which they switch between them at a moments notice and sheer charisma they bring to their portrayals is simply amazing.

The rest of the cast is also quite good, almost none of them slouch, but compared to these two titans, they are fighting an uphill battle. I will give praise that compared to the horribly unsubtle writing at parts, the actors and characters portray a lot of their emotion through subtle things like looks and body motions, even if hey are at times not so subtle.

To sum it up, this season was a very uneven journey, but the destination is well worth it. Just hope they don't fuck it up in season 3.
0 x

no avatar
Morgan banefort
Teen Titan

Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:15 pm

MTVCCVC wrote:
So I finally finished the season and for all he highs and lows, it ended really strong.

I'v got to say, some of the turnabouts in the last 15 minutes had me at the edge of my seat and were completely unexpected. Certainly left me satisfied with the ending, but I'm not really sure I like what t sets up for the next season.

Now, on to the gripes. The political pandering and message stick bashing was so fucking annoying and immersion breaking. The whole thing with Stormfront channelling the alt-right shit is fucking annoying as was the AOC expy character, though what they do with that character does bring things about slightly for me.
On occasion when they weren't waving annoying political buzzwords on screen, I did actually like what they did with Stormfront and Homelander. When she was just a fucking Nazi and wasn't just a puppet used for preaching current day politics in my face, it was actually compelling.

Oh, but her german accent was atrocious . Ok, it wasn't that bad, but as a fluent german speaker, it really fucking grinds my gears. Short scene, but man did it irritate my ears.

Stand out performances are definitely Anthony Starr as Homelander and Karl Urban as Billy Butcher. These could well enough be the roles of their lives and they are giving it their all, which is saying something. The range of emotions, expressions, the ease with which they switch between them at a moments notice and sheer charisma they bring to their portrayals is simply amazing.

The rest of the cast is also quite good, almost none of them slouch, but compared to these two titans, they are fighting an uphill battle. I will give praise that compared to the horribly unsubtle writing at parts, the actors and characters portray a lot of their emotion through subtle things like looks and body motions, even if hey are at times not so subtle.

To sum it up, this season was a very uneven journey, but the destination is well worth it. Just hope they don't fuck it up in season 3.
Pretty.much my opinion too and yeah Antony starred and karl urban are amazing and I hope the rumors are true and he is going to be reverse flash in the flashpoint
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:20 am

My favourite inebriate film analyst weighs in:
0 x

GreeKnight
Sidekick Trainee

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:05 pm

MTVCCVC wrote:

Yeah I also finished it the other day. I did not appreciate the politics they tried to shove down our throats, and I might end up bailing if Season 3 gets worse. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Neuman looked like AOC lmao. That annoyed me as well, but the finale has me thinking about it in a new light.

The literal Nazi stuff is way too overdone and I'm tired of it(even without the political agenda behind it). And there were just way too many blackmail scenes, they need to get more creative.

Season 1 was unbelievably great, Season 2 was worse but still good. Hopefully they don't continue the downward trend with the next season. I also very much enjoyed Karl Urban and Anthony Starr's performances, and that's what has me coming back.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:31 am

Interpretations of superhero fiction like The Boys has never and will never be my cup of tea. I have no problem with a good deconstruction of superhero fiction and tropes, but stories like The Boys try to have it's cake and eat it.

It wants to criticize the nature of superheroism but outside the environment of superhero. What I mean is that it basically tries to say superhero are bad as they would be bad if they "really" exist but the thing is they don't they exist with the context of the extended comic book world where their actions make sense.

Bringing superheroes into a real world setting is the dumbest thing IMO, the logical leap necessary is just too much for me, this is usually where the suspension of believe comes in but The Boys want to criticize that exact suspension of believe so that's why I say they want to have their cake and eat it too.

And because of the mediocre premise you're always going to get an over reliance on shock value and politcal preaching of some sort anyone expecting The Boys to be and stay a good show is delusional. The source material is garbage and you can't make honey out of vinegar.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:55 am

I've seen this story, and I've seen it done better. Homelander is barely a person, he's the concept of evil Superman taken to a ridiculous extreme. This is a comic written by someone with a history of openingly hating Superheroes and it shows. There is not much else once you get past that. It is just kind of shallow and mean spirited, and only the talent of some of the people working on the show brings it up a bit from the comic. From what I heard the second series did a lot to neuter all the male heroes of the show anyway, and made them all really ineffectual. You know, the BOYS.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:34 am

I don't know about the neutering thing. I'd need more details to tell you if it's true, but there was certainly a lot of undertones and overtones in that political direction.

That said, Homelander and Butcher are the two most 3 dimensional characters in the show. I don't understand the notion that Homelander is barely a person.
He's a really, really fucked in the head person and he is more of a collection of deep seated issues and menace than a well rounded individual, but then again, he doesn't have to be.
Butcher is really not that different, when I think about it.

They are both extremely flawed people, by intention.

The show really doesn't seem to follow the comic very hard, from what I can tell.
0 x