DC Super Hero Girls...

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

DC Super Hero Girls...

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:30 am

because 'heroine' is harder to pronounce?

It has been announced a few months ago - I think even one of us mentioned it. The point is that DC Heroines and even Heroes will get plenty of recognition (on Barbie Girl-level, but it would be pretty popular). Of course, it stars Wonder Woman, SuperGirl and Batgirl, but also Katana, Bumblebee and even Hawkgirl(not part of main roster, but she's the 'hall monitor').

It'll about dolls, videos, and more and it's all on the website (http://www.dcsuperherogirls.com/en-us)

Sorry for the seemingly spammy post, I just want to get your opinion, before and after exploring the website (especially BMWW opinions, even though he's not here...hopefully yet)
Spoiler: Show
P.S. Please let the Principal be Vixen
0 x
Missing the DCAU, already missed DCcU
OTP since the First Date

no avatar
CrazyPhenom
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Maxwell Lord

Re: DC Super Hero Girls...

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:55 am

Well hero is technically a gender neutral term.

Its not exactly my cup of tea (duh) :D. But it does seem like a nice idea, especially in terms of introducing characters like WW to younger & female audiences. Heh, I dont know what the show is gonna be like, but I am guessing if someone does start reading comics after watching it, they are gonna be in for a rude awakening.
Sorry to say, but I think thats Amanda Waller, she fits the principal role pretty well imo
0 x
Yup... Its 5AM.

"Grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless." - Chester Nimitz

JL Member: Maxwell Lord

Chaosmob
Site Admin
Justice League Membership: Plastic Man

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:18 am

About time they did something like this. I've been calling for this for a long time. :)
0 x
Can I have one more day? Every one I have left. My life is yours.
League membership: Plastic Man

kalladorn
Teen Titan

Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:51 am

Considering they already have Hal Jordan and Beast Boy, I could easily see them adding in the other guys. I don't much care for the flared wings that WW had on her outfit but I do like the overall outfit and all the others as well. Thankfully, as a kids show, these girls can't be over sexualized.
0 x
President Lois Lane: "Your Husband thought it was a bit preachy."
Diana*slyly looks over at Bruce*: "No he didn't. I was watching him. I saw his cynicism crack at least twice."

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:24 pm

Girls need something like this. I mean we had Batman Brave and the Bold for younger boys. I know my daughter will love this (she is a big fan of Teen Titans Go). Start them young. I had the Wonder Woman TV show to get me started.
0 x
FU DC

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:26 pm

I also think they have seen how much money girls spend on MLP, LPS and Monster High. Tons of revenue potential.
0 x
FU DC

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:37 pm

I don't really get the appeal of taking strong super heroines and recasting them as normal girls in high school who just happen to have super powers and wear costumes, but I'm not going to throw stones over it. It'll probably be better then Teen Titans Go! at the very least.
1 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

Kallisto
Titan

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:49 pm

Apparently they're going to Superhero High, a school for kids with powers. No idea what the quality of the show and movies will be like but as far as merchandising goes, tapping this market is one of the best business decisions WB and DC Entertainment could have made. I'm sure I'll be buying plenty of the Legos and other Superchick stuff for my niece.
0 x

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:35 am

Weirdly enough, I also had an idea on a DC Superhero High. There was even a crossover with a Marvel High in one of my (deluded) episodes.
I admit there isn't a guarantee of me to follow DC Super Hero Girls, but like Ever After High, I would care a lot on the plot and hope there won't be any bad voice acting.
Now a more specific question: what do you think of the character designs? (Check the 'Meet the Heroes' page for extra detail)
For me, I was truly surprised that they wanted to make nearly EVERYONE in the school a hero. Then again, it wouldn't be called DC SuperHero Girls. There's this common trope in at least Mattel which makes the catty girls (Torelai Stripe and Kitty Cheshire) catty (though sometimes misunderstood), but there are also women like that in the DC verse, so I'm not sure what to think about Cheetah being a cheat-ah (though I don't know her). And I do love the girls portrayed already but I already also want to see the boys too (besides romance, and not taking away from the girls I mean)
0 x
OTP since the First Date

Agent DC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Adam Strange

Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:50 am

Grendle1853 wrote:I don't really get the appeal of taking strong super heroines and recasting them as normal girls in high school who just happen to have super powers and wear costumes, but I'm not going to throw stones over it. It'll probably be better then Teen Titans Go! at the very least.
Everything is better than teen titans go
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:22 am

Agent DC wrote:
Grendle1853 wrote:I don't really get the appeal of taking strong super heroines and recasting them as normal girls in high school who just happen to have super powers and wear costumes, but I'm not going to throw stones over it. It'll probably be better then Teen Titans Go! at the very least.
Everything is better than teen titans go
You are not wrong. One thing I will throw a stone about is that I don't like them using Harley Quinn as a hero. She is not a hero and she is a terrible role model for girls. It would be like them making Loki a hero in a Marvel show because he was popular.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

Chaosmob
Site Admin

Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:16 am

I'm with you Grendle, Harley better be a villain type in the show or I'm not going to be happy.
1 x

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:59 am

Me too, but she does have redeeming qualities, like her love of dogs and hyenas (I think there was an issue which she heavily injured an animal-abuser). Doll lines like what DC Super Hero Girls will be would really like to focus on the good in even the 'baddest' characters; it is mostly for little girls after all. But like the previous comments, Harley wouldn't really want to be called a 'hero'. But what about Poison Ivy? :flower:
0 x
OTP since the First Date

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:14 am

Update: They have their own Youtube channel (for marketing and entertainment reasons). Haven't watched them yet, but it kind of explains why Harley is part of the 'gang'.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRdVJ9 ... qApCIO_TYg
Grey Delisle's voice acting is obvious, like Daphne Blake from Scooby Doo, in Wonder Woman, and we get a cameo appearance of Oracle...sort of
Not to mention: They just had their appearance in NYCC, so cool!!
0 x
OTP since the First Date

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:49 am

OMG, first book from the franchise, by Lisa Yee!
Wonder Woman @ Super Hero High
0 x
OTP since the First Date

Chaosmob
Site Admin

Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Looks like an intro or beginning clip to the show.
0 x

Agent DC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Adam Strange

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:30 am

Seems okay. Not going to go out of my way to follow but it shows promise. Hope it has a good lifespan as much if not more than. The DCAU
0 x

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:20 am

The series already has FOUR episodes, including All About Superhero High. So far, they hadn't shown Supergirl nor Batgirl(in her persona). And I was kind of disappointed Wonder Woman's beginning armour wasn't the one on the doll. I'm indifferent to the pants, but the armour was so... symbolic of her Themiscryan heritage. If you're wondering, it's the latest episode Crazy Quiltin'. Since then, 'Power Outage' (w/ Red Tornado) features yet another uniform for 'Wondy'; then again, the uniform may be only for the Flying 101 since Bumblebee was wearing a different one too. At least I like the relationship between the two, but the voices are kind of irritating me.

@AgentDC: Considering Mattel (birthplace of Monster High and Ever After High, existing to this day) is partnering with DC, I hope too. But I'm also worried about whether they may have unstable budgets/time schedules especially with the cartoon aspects, if they release too few or many characters, like IMO every show I watch they'll suffer 'plot burnout', etc
Last edited by imagnryfroster on Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
OTP since the First Date

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:19 am

Speaking of EAH, I noticed lately that it really goes for girl power...uh PRINCESS power. Some of the marketing really focuses on the Everything of the girl, just like DC Superhero Girls. Maybe if DCSHG gets popular, EAH would follow suit. I know this seems counterintuitive and ironic because it's mainly for the little kids' market but I don't care AT ALL(...okay, slightly) about the dolls and the cheesy cliches. I like how they have a variety of characters and personalities (also presuming for DCSHG) but both DC Comics and Mattel have to dig deep and make the girls, boys, women, men and robots perfectly complex (for the young demographic at least) in the non-toy department, just like what made comics and superheroes popular. Sure, trusting that everyone is good inside - and the most bad they can be (context-wise) is because of jealousy and other human qualities - but the morals, messages and familiar kiddy archetypes the various media would teach is just part of the plot and story. Everyone does have GOOD and BAD within themselves; just don't make any action a character does - well- or ill-intentioned - well 'heroic'.

Any kind of action or opinion could be relatable or justified to an extent; kids would like to know it's okay to hate something or someone (unless the opinion is hugely based on sex, race, etc of course).

Excuse me for the somewhat unrelated mini-essay, I was just ranting about today's doll marketing and its many media in general ( but mostly because of a certain campaign in EAH news, which I'm passionately against-indifferent to, however being scared of looking unreasonable/serious in another wiki/forum) which just so happened to be related here. HEEHEE :cool:
0 x
OTP since the First Date

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

DC Super Hero Girls...

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:03 am

Hey, according to somewhat official Facebook pages, the show would have its first hour-long special ... most likely starring Supergirl. And as a side note, the dolls came out a bit earlier. A bit disappointed Katana wasn't in the first wave of dolls and action figures despite appearing 2-5 times already.
0 x
OTP since the First Date