DC Super Hero Girls...

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Re: DC Super Hero Girls...

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:19 am

A little update, sorry to annoy the forum.

So, there's going to be a tv show to be adapted onto tv. Mind you, not the web cartoons, DCSHG's own Cartoon Network tv show, headed by Lauren Faust no less.

The art style's kinda similar to that short series in DC Nation Super Best Friends Forever, with its extremely cartoony figures and drawings.
http://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-super-hero ... ren-faust/

So far, (at least from what I got from Facebook) parents of young fans seem ticked off, and seriously this had gone off a weird direction. However, from what I gathered from the premise these are actually the superheroes and villains as teenagers without Super Hero High.

Thoughts?
0 x
Missing the DCAU, already missed DCcU
OTP since the First Date

ISAK
Titan

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:14 am

Wait, why are they ticked off?
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:34 am

Supergirl looks.weird. Way too butch...

Also, why did they Shaft Donna again and replace her with a teenage Diana?
1 x

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:57 pm

ISAK wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:14 am
Wait, why are they ticked off?
Okay, I could have worded it a bit better, but basically it has something to do with the character designs. Part of the original appeal is that the web-cartoons and dolls were what "actual teenagers" would wear and had realistic athletic bodies. This show is kinda the opposite.

Personally, I'm not that bothered by it.
0 x
OTP since the First Date

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:00 pm

Was in the middle of looking back on old posts of mine (cringe) and I should consider taking a gander at the show at some point. Netflix where I'm from only has 20 episodes of the first season for whatever reason, and it's quite interesting how the show adapts the comics and the characters, especially in a modern high school setting (though very different to the doll line/webseries) at a first glance. Batman is also funnily portrayed there.

Still a little bit confused on why Troia wasn't considered to be in the show in the first place yet, but eh.

EDIT: as of now, there are 38 episodes in SG Netflix. Also, I theorise that Troia was probably not chosen because there are two characters which are 'off-shoots' of the Trinity: Supergirl and Batgirl. In the show, Supergirl has to deal with living under Superman's shadow while Batgirl aspires to be part of Batman's team. It does seem a bit difficult to make a unique dynamic for Donna Troy, but that being said it can be done. For example, if Wonder Woman as well as the Amazons are overprotective of her.
Last edited by imagnryfroster on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
OTP since the First Date

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:25 am

Eeh, I haven’t yet watched a full episode yet, but it’s safe to say the current TV show is an acquired taste.

Some characterization is a bit off to me, even for a comedic kids cartoon. For instance, this Wonder Woman acts kinda like her New 52 counterpart though her being the ace student is a good counterpart for her comic duties and she is very serious about leadership and combat. Then again, one of my bigger gripes is her exaggerated accent, which is weird because she is voiced by Grey Griffin who also did WW in the old web series as well as BTBATB. In fact, to me a lot of the girls have some weird accents that sound the VAs were trying a bit much.

I don’t know much about the histories of the other main cast but they are a mixed bag in terms of execution. I do like butch Supergirl and bubbly Batgirl, mainly because I am familiar with them through the Super BFFs shorts. However I am not used to Zatanna being the drama queen (compared to her DCAU and YJ appearances) and hippie Jessica Cruz. Additionally, Superman and Robin, among a lot of the guy characters, are straight up jerks.

Otherwise, I do chalk up a lot of the characters to being adapted for younger hyper audiences. They are just not my cup of tea.

Likewise, the comedy of course also caters to a young audience, including slapstick and cartoon logic. One thing that bugs me though is that jokes or gags involving Wonder Woman are very hit or miss. In Canon, she has only been in Man’s World for a couple of months, so yeah, her not getting technology or modern slang makes sense, but then it goes back to the New 52 similarities , like her really liking ice cream, her being incompetent whenever Steve Trevor is around because she has a debilitating crush on him, and even that she ... doesn’t know what modern plumbing is?

The digs into Teen Titans Go are apparently funny though.

And yeah, the all-important question: any possible BMWW? Yeah no. Both Batman and Bruce Wayne so far are gag characters (though the latter I really like the take of him being a reality show star, a unique take of establishing the difference between the two) and don’t venture in Metropolis often, Wonder Woman crushing on Steve Trevor is a kinda big part of the show (even when the joke is nobody knows why Wondy likes him so much) and the age difference is ... um. Diana is canonically 317 years old but according to the DCSHG wiki she is ‘physically 17’ while Bruce is implied to be 20 since he was able to adopt Dick Grayson. I already got a bit weirded out when I found out one of the JL/JLU Writers thought of Wonder Woman to be 18 by the start of the show while Batman was in his mid-thirties, so I am wishy-washy about pairing them up to begin with.

That being said, I already thought of some potential fanfic-y ‘meet-cutes’ and adventures the two could have together so IDK.
0 x
OTP since the First Date

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:42 am

https://www.cbr.com/dc-super-hero-girls ... ter-worse/

For a TL;DR summary about the new franchises, this is a nice article about it.
0 x
OTP since the First Date

Chaosmob
Site Admin
Justice League Membership: Plastic Man

Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 am

I've watched a few clips of it on youtube and it's pretty entertaining. :)
0 x
Can I have one more day? Every one I have left. My life is yours.
League membership: Plastic Man

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:26 am

I've watched a few clips of it on youtube and it's pretty entertaining. :)
They are! Other than some hiccups for me, I enjoy the artstyle and action.
1 x
OTP since the First Date