ARB
Justice League

Re: DC Extended Universe

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:13 am

DaisyJane wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:19 pm
Another nail in the coffin of seeing anymore BMWW in the DCEU:

https://batman-news.com/2019/02/28/warn ... ur-future/
I think it's pretty much confirmed at this point that the Matt Reeves Batman movie will be stand alone. He said as much in a recent interview. I do think that the chances of us getting more BMWW are very minimal at this point. The head of WB (or at least the guy overseeing the DC stuff), did say that they might return to the inter-connected Universe stuff sometime down the line, but that's not their focus right now. So until they decide to go back to doing crossovers, it seems there won't be any chances of BMWW happening.

Matt Reeves seems very intent on copying Nolan's Dark Knight, given his comments and insistence on casting a 20-something Bale look-alike seem to be pointing in that direction. The alleged list of actors they're considering is dreadful, with names like Robert Pattinson and Kit Harington ?!! who're neither in their twenties funnily enough. The rest are no names British actors who couldn't look like Bruce even if their life depended on it. The one possible exception is Armie Hammer. I'd be down with him because he gives me strong Ben Affleck vibes, but then according to him nobody has been in contact with him. The point is, even if WB was still willing to proceed with their shared universe plans, Reeves' Batman might tank our BMWW hopes anyway.

It's all such a waste really. WB went high and low trying to catch up to Marvel's cinematic universe, only to abandon it all the moment a movie didn't work out, largely because of their own incompetent interference. What's the point of doing separate movies at this point ? Aquaman succeeded because it was a good movie, and people where already interested in Momoaman from BvS and JL. Abandoning all the shared universe aspects is a foolish short-sighted decision, done as another knee jerk reaction to Aquaman's success.

The Batman, unlike Aquaman and Shazam, is seemingly not even going to acknowledge the extended DC universe because Reeves is too busy thinking about the potential oscars he's going to collect, and the Flash movie will bring about a "NEW DC UNIVERSE" according to Erza Miller. So everything is being abandoned, except they're doing it in an agonizingly slow process rather than just wiping the slate clean and be done with it. It's all rather disappointing really. Something like BMWW won't just happen unless someone believe strongly in it, and at this point when WB has resolved itself to producing stand alone movies, I really can't see a feasible scenario where BMWW can remain on the table.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:03 pm

ARB wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:13 am
the Flash movie will bring about a "NEW DC UNIVERSE" according to Erza Miller.
Where did he say that? I hadn't heard anything in regards to The Flash stand alone, other than it not being based on "Flashpoint" anymore.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

ARB
Justice League

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:23 pm

The_GD_Patman wrote:
Where did he say that? I hadn't heard anything in regards to The Flash stand alone, other than it not being based on "Flashpoint" anymore.
"We are talking about sparking a whole new universe". It's from this interview...

0 x

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:22 pm

Never liked his version of Flash so I hope, after all the drama, this movie dies a violent death.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:56 pm

ARB wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:23 pm
The_GD_Patman wrote:
"We are talking about sparking a whole new universe". It's from this interview...

Call me crazy, but it sounds like he's just alluding to an adaptation of "Flash of two worlds" more than a full on shake up. This "New universe" he speaks of may simply be the small solo pocket of the DCEU Barry gets to inhabit now that DC wants to trot out the interconnectivity only when it's convenient.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

ARB
Justice League

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:41 pm

The_GD_Patman wrote:
Call me crazy, but it sounds like he's just alluding to an adaptation of "Flash of two worlds" more than a full on shake up. This "New universe" he speaks of may simply be the small solo pocket of the DCEU Barry gets to inhabit now that DC wants to trot out the interconnectivity only when it's convenient.
Or it could mean exactly what it sounded like, meaning that the never incessant rumors about the Flash movie being an adaptation of Flashpoint used to soft reset the DCEU were true after all. It's difficult to say for sure, but Ezra's wording doesn't sound encouraging. The fact that the DCEU has a bad track record concerning bad rumors, I no longer feel optimistic enough to trust in the better outcome being the reality.

Beside, as you have mentioned, it would be weird to have the Flash movie focus on multiple realities, which would demand that the movie shows different versions of well known DC characters, while also eschewing the shared universe concept. So the way I see it, either the Flash movie will be a truly stand alone movie, loosely adapting the Flashpoint storyline, without touching upon the extended DCU, in which case it's just another self contained DC movie. Or it's going to be the real Flashpoint, which will end in the cinematic universe rebooting, finally killing the Zack Snyder verse.

Both are terrible scenarios in the context of BMWW still remaining on the cards. In the first case, the DCEU will continue with it's fragmented stories, meaning a concept like BMWW that demands a degree of crossover is not happening. In the second case, a Flashpoint reboot that wipes the slate clean will purge whatever remains of Snyder's original vision, meaning the chances of BMWW will plummet down to nothing. Couple that with all the stuff we've been hearing about Reeves' Batman, and it would be a miracle if BMWW ended up surviving.

I know BMWW survived worse, and it has a peculiar tendency to pop up in adaptions, be it animated or cinematic, so I'm not losing hope all together. However I'm steadily and surely getting there. The failure of WB's initial plans seems to have drove them into a paranoid state of taking no risks, not unlike how creatively bankrupt the comics have been for the last eight years or so. Forget BMWW even, if the DCEU is going down the road of rehashing the same tired stories to be safe, I'll be out entirely. I'm trying to be a downer, but I feel my fears are justified at this point, despite how much I'm hoping WB would prove me wrong.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:53 am

ARB wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:41 pm
The_GD_Patman wrote:
Or it could mean exactly what it sounded like, meaning that the never incessant rumors about the Flash movie being an adaptation of Flashpoint used to soft reset the DCEU were true after all. It's difficult to say for sure, but Ezra's wording doesn't sound encouraging. The fact that the DCEU has a bad track record concerning bad rumors, I no longer feel optimistic enough to trust in the better outcome being the reality.

Beside, as you have mentioned, it would be weird to have the Flash movie focus on multiple realities, which would demand that the movie shows different versions of well known DC characters, while also eschewing the shared universe concept. So the way I see it, either the Flash movie will be a truly stand alone movie, loosely adapting the Flashpoint storyline, without touching upon the extended DCU, in which case it's just another self contained DC movie. Or it's going to be the real Flashpoint, which will end in the cinematic universe rebooting, finally killing the Zack Snyder verse.
I'd grant this if the writers and Miller hadn't said so many contradictory statements to this sentiment in every other place the Flashpoint question had been raised. With every opportunity they have had to just come out and say "Yes we're doing Flashpoint, and yes it will reset things" why have they constantly shot that down since almost immediately after the 2 guys that wrote Spider-Man: Homecoming signed onto the film?
0 x
― Grant Morrison

ARB
Justice League

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:08 pm

The_GD_Patman wrote:
I'd grant this if the writers and Miller hadn't said so many contradictory statements to this sentiment in every other place the Flashpoint question had been raised. With every opportunity they have had to just come out and say "Yes we're doing Flashpoint, and yes it will reset things" why have they constantly shot that down since almost immediately after the 2 guys that wrote Spider-Man: Homecoming signed onto the film?
The whole thing regarding Ben Affleck's involvement in The Batman has taught me not to trust any reassurances that people give regarding the DCEU. Yeah we've been hearing several wildly different reports regarding the Flash movie, but as far as which one I'd bet my money on being true, I'm sticking with the worst case scenario from now on. Patty Jenkins is the only person I feel is forthcoming and confident enough for me to buy what she says.

Why would they shoot down the Flashpoint rumors ? Probably because all the "plans" that WB have at this point are nothing more than sticky notes plastered somewhere on a fridge. I doubt they have any real idea where they're actually going with the DCEU, so I wouldn't expect them to confirm any wild rumors even of they were true.
0 x

ISAK
Titan

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:52 pm

There was small nod to Wonder Woman/Aquaman because of the original plans for the Flash solo movie, which was going to be based on Flashpoint. Flashpoint was definitely a concrete thing at some point.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:03 pm

ARB wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:08 pm
The_GD_Patman wrote:
The whole thing regarding Ben Affleck's involvement in The Batman has taught me not to trust any reassurances that people give regarding the DCEU. Yeah we've been hearing several wildly different reports regarding the Flash movie, but as far as which one I'd bet my money on being true, I'm sticking with the worst case scenario from now on. Patty Jenkins is the only person I feel is forthcoming and confident enough for me to buy what she says.

Why would they shoot down the Flashpoint rumors ? Probably because all the "plans" that WB have at this point are nothing more than sticky notes plastered somewhere on a fridge. I doubt they have any real idea where they're actually going with the DCEU, so I wouldn't expect them to confirm any wild rumors even of they were true.
Well I get why you feel that way. But for all the hype a reboot would build with just the clickbait sites alone, I still cannot see WB/DC not baiting that hook. Nothing may be set or even planned beyond a handful of movies at this point, but It still seems that to me they have every reason to hype lap 2 if they were going for it. There is literally no reason not to. Only thing I can see coming from this might be something inline with all that wild speculation about those "Worlds of DC" banners at comic con last year. A few bloggers read into that as being an acknowledgement of the Multiverse in film, and maybe that's what we'll get.
0 x
― Grant Morrison

ARB
Justice League

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:13 am

What are your thoughts on this guys ?

If there's any truth to this, this might be the single remaining thread of hope for the DCEU as far as I'm concerned. If Ben returns as JL Batman, not only that would amazing in its own right, but that would also be the perfect case scenario as far as I'm concerned. I know Batman has always had this issue with the way he's depicted between his JL stories and his solo outings, so this would be the best way of doing the two in my opinion. Leave Reeves to do his trite Batman story, and let Ben do his over the top older and experienced JL Batman. If only things would actually play out this way, but I'd be lying if I said I'm hopeful.
1 x

ISAK
Titan

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 am

Ben Affleck talked in an interview about something like this recently.
"I imagine it would be weird to step in and do another character.
"I can certainly imagine directing a movie, you know - if they [DC] would have me - if it was something I was passionate about.
"It's not about like kind of closing doors on stuff, I just couldn't figure out how I wanted to do that one [next Batman film], so it became time to let someone else take a crack at it."
http://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/f ... r-20190308
So there's a chance this rumor might be true.
If it were to happen, that'd be great. You're right that it'd fit perfectly with Reeves doing his prequel trilogy with a younger Batman where he can do whatever he wants and Ben continuing to play the older version of the character in the JL movies and other appropriate cross-over appearances.
Specially because i feel it was mostly Ben that was pushing for Wonderbat. When Ben accepted to star in Batman v Superman he also asked creative control over the movie and had his screen-writer friend, Chris Terio, rewrite the entire movie. He also had the final say on who'd play Wonder Woman alongside him. So hopefully he'd be able to keep pushing for it in the JL movies.
1 x

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:24 am

Oh boy, here we go again. Personally, I can see him directing a movie for DC but playing Batman again? No way. By the time this all would get sorted out he will be like 50 years old and he would have to get back in shape. Said it already, I hope they put this Affleck Batman to rest because I cant be bothered to listen about it any longer.
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:37 am

A little new regarding the Flash movie:

https://www.gamesradar.com/ezra-miller- ... -morrison/

Source maybe questionable though
0 x
FU DC

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:45 pm

DaisyJane wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:37 am
A little new regarding the Flash movie:

https://www.gamesradar.com/ezra-miller- ... -morrison/

Source maybe questionable though
I've been seeing a lot around this as well. I've even read somewhere that Ezra may even have his rewrite into WB within days, if not weeks. I hope he holds his spot, as I really liked his performance and want to see him continue as Barry.

This whole situation is a fucking trip. Watching DC poison their own well this many times is getting painful.
0 x
― Grant Morrison

ISAK
Titan

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 pm

More news:
https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ex-sha ... uad-gotgv3
"First of all, we don’t call it Suicide Squad 2 ‘cause it’s a total reboot, so it’s The Suicide Squad and I think people should be extremely excited about it. It’s everything you would hope from a James Gunn script and I think that says a lot and that promises a lot and I know that we will deliver a lot."
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:03 am

The_GD_Patman wrote:
I've been seeing a lot around this as well. I've even read somewhere that Ezra may even have his rewrite into WB within days, if not weeks. I hope he holds his spot, as I really liked his performance and want to see him continue as Barry.

This whole situation is a fucking trip. Watching DC poison their own well this many times is getting painful.
I know you like to remain the ever optimist Pat, but this is getting far too painful to endure you have to admit. When I said that I've lost faith in the DCEU, I meant that I'm no longer hopeful for it to be something that I'd enjoy. If things turn out for the better then that's great, but otherwise I'll remain apathetic to it until WB proves me wrong. Ben is out, Ezra, Henry,and Amy are on the brink of leaving, and Ray seems to be in limbo.

This is simply not what we were promised when we went to watch BvS. It's such a sad state of affair. The DCEU was shaping up to be the shot in the arm the DCU needed, but now it's seemingly falling back on the same tired and played out stories of the comic books, instead of taking inspiration from a time when DC was much more creative and adventures. Breaks my heart.
1 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:36 am

ARB wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:03 am
The_GD_Patman wrote:

I know you like to remain the ever optimist Pat, but this is getting far too painful to endure you have to admit. When I said that I've lost faith in the DCEU, I meant that I'm no longer hopeful for it to be something that I'd enjoy. If things turn out for the better then that's great, but otherwise I'll remain apathetic to it until WB proves me wrong. Ben is out, Ezra, Henry,and Amy are on the brink of leaving, and Ray seems to be in limbo.

This is simply not what we were promised when we went to watch BvS. It's such a sad state of affair. The DCEU was shaping up to be the shot in the arm the DCU needed, but now it's seemingly falling back on the same tired and played out stories of the comic books, instead of taking inspiration from a time when DC was much more creative and adventures. Breaks my heart.
Oh I don't know that it's me being optimistic as much as it is that I don't like jumping to unjustified conclusions, but the DCEU is getting to a point where assuming the worst seems to end up being the correct course of action.

You're correct in saying that this isn't what we were promised and that DC is going the cowardly route to try and keep pace with Marvel (by all accounts). I just can't be sure who's more to blame, the studio for never really having faith in what the DCEU was trying to do initially or the hoard of basics that started to have tantrums all over their blogs as far back MoS about "not MuH Superman" and the like? Or maybe it's both? Idk.

There is a clear disconnect between what DC went on to be post-crisis and how the quasi-detached public that hasn't read a comic in 20 years still thinks of them. As great as things like Superman: TAS is, there is a whole swipe of the public that will never let those enclosure be exceeded in their mind or allow for a divergent origin from the one Donner gave us in the 70's.

But then again the studio tried to make everything so palatable that it sterilized the narratives down to just barely enough of anything in certain cases (SS especially) to push the plot along.

I'm just.... Very troubled to see something with so much potential be so mishandled and disrespected.
0 x
― Grant Morrison

ISAK
Titan

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:28 am

I'm just glad we at least had MoS, BvS, and, somewhat, JL. My only wish if for the Snyder's cut of the JL movie to really complete the trilogy, which i seriously doubt we will ever get. I still love, though, that Snyder's fans always bug DC/WB in social media asking for it. It always make me chuckle.

The truth, though, is that WB has been extremely reactionary and right now they've no clue what they're doing. You've Sandberg's Shazam, Jenkins' WW84, and Margot's Birds of Prey still pretty much following the threads left by the previous DCEU movies. Sandberg himself said he was inspired by Snyder's work. MEANWHILE you've Gunn rebooting the Suicide Squad franchise and Reeves essentially doing his own thing with the Batman franchise. I doubt very much Reeves is attempting to fill the gaps between his young Batman and BvS Batman with his movie. Then there's the Miller's situation with the Flash movie. So you've three movies still very much in the DCEU ballpark that are in production and three movies doing whatever and totally up in the air. Hopefully Miller can stay on board and have his darker Flash movie so it can carry the DCEU spirit.

But yeah, it's currently a mess.
1 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:12 pm

Well, are we not going to talk about it?

0 x