DC Extended Universe

ARB
Justice League

Re: DC Extended Universe

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:30 pm

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:12 pm
Well, are we not going to talk about it?

I have some thoughts on this whole Zack Snyder thing. I've defended Snyder's vision for Batman before, as I could see what he was trying to do, even though personally speaking I believe Batman of all Superheroes should never have blood on his hand, despite how most think the opposite. Still IF Batman was to kill, I think the situation that Snyder presented in BvS made a good deal of sense for what he was trying to accomplish, which is to ultimately have Superman inspire hope in Bruce again in order for him to remember how sacred all human life is, hence the "Men are still good" line that Bruce said at the end.

The stuff he said though, at least the way he worded it makes me question my understanding of what he was trying to do in BvS. I think Snyder was talking about how people should never hold their superheroes to an absurd standard where they could never do any wrong, that it's ok for superheroes to get their hands dirty and make mistakes, as long as their heroism ultimately triumphs and they return to their better selves at the end. What Snyder is trying to say I believe is that thinking Superheroes should never do anything wrong is living in a fairytale land. I doubt that he was telling people to wake up and realize that all superheroes are killers, even though his wording does him no favours.

Of course people are piling on because of the obviously misleading headlines, but at this point I honestly can't muster the energy to care or even try to defend Snyder. He's not helping himself, and the whole thing just feels like a lost cause at this point. I still like BvS and enjoy Battfleck's portrayal, but I really wish they could've done a simpler story so that we might still have that same DCEU today. Seeing how well received Aquaman and Shazam are, it really makes you wonder if going all philosophical with DC was the right decision after all.
0 x

no avatar
Lurker nomore
Teen Titan

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:10 am

should of just let them be heroes instead of having that dark narrative. It might work for batman and suicide squad but not for the rest.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Shazam! was good.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Im also hearing its good (havent watched it yet) but that it disappointed at the box office.
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Not necessarily according to this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... a6f4d65c21
0 x
FU DC

Apolaki
Titan

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:49 am

Well it's doing fine relative to its budget, but definitely a bit underwhelming considering the very positive word of mouth. But hey, a sequel is already under development, and I can't wait for it. The movie itself was great, jokes felt natural and it got pretty dark when it wanted to.

Also, I'm usually a slowpoke as I don't visit the forum as often as I'd like, but I don't think I've seen anything on the Joker trailer. What did you guys think of it?
0 x
"All men have limits. They learn what they are and learn not to exceed them. I ignore mine." - Batman

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:11 am

DaisyJane wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:01 pm
Not necessarily according to this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... a6f4d65c21
53 mil. opening is low imo but we will see how it holds up until Endgame. After that releases the money Shazam makes will be non existent so it has 2 weeks.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Thu May 16, 2019 10:35 pm

Robert Pattinson to Play Batman and you know what? I'm cool with it hell I'm excited about it. Been a while since I have felt this way about a decision mad by WB/DC. I can genuinely see this working out as long a Reeves don't copy Nolan. I don't want another 'grounded' Batman story I want a more comic book, accurate Batman. So what do you guys think?

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robe ... 203125473/
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Fri May 17, 2019 2:23 am

Depends. He'd need to buff up properly first. He was not very attractive without his shirt in the twilight movies.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Fri May 17, 2019 2:49 am

Hard to say I'm surprised, but I'm certainly disappointed. I was pulling for Armie Hammer to take the role, and it seems he was on the short list of actors considered for the role, so it's doubly disappointing to see WB deciding to go Pattinson instead. I think it's been obvious that Reeves is intent on aping Nolan's Batman with his movie, so him going with a B-level Bale look alike makes sense. Pattinson doesn't look the part at all in my opinion. His build is slight and he lacks the intensity that I'd expect from a Batman actor. To be fair to him Affleck had the same problem as well with his normal self being too goofy for me to imagine him as Batman, so I'm willing to cut Pattinson some slack on that front.

Still, Armie would've been perfect. He is the right size, and after seeing Affleck under the cowl, I can only imagine someone like Armie taking over. Seeing how old Pattinson is, Armie's age wouldn't be an issue either since he's around the same age. What's more, Armie actually has the voice to do Batman, something that none of the previous actors had. Pattinson will be decent at the role I'm sure, but I can tell that he'll never be the Batman that I want to see. Reeves has made his vision clear with this casting. This is not a Batman who will be a big player in the DCU. Reeves wants to tell his little small story, playing it safe, and going with a "realistic" approach, which is the only way I could justify him casting someone like Pattinson.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Fri May 17, 2019 11:32 am

IDK, guys, I can just see him as a certain type of Batman. He will get in superhero shape or the movie that's for sure and he just has a gothic mystic vibe about him something I have been wanting to see in a Batman for some time now. I get the intensity complaint but I would just like to see a more 'vampiric'*HaHa*(and the jokes start) Batman.

Coming off of Ben who was a more intense Batman I would like to see a Batman who is cooler and with more mystic, If that makes any sense and the dude is a good actor serious check out his newer movies good stuff. I just hope Reeves doesn't suck Nolan off too hard even if he is going for a more 'grounded' Batman at least give us a supernatural story like Man-Bat, Court of Owls or something I could see Reeves delivering there after all he did direct Planet of the Apes and Cloverfield. I think he can deliver on gothic.
1 x

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Fri May 17, 2019 12:55 pm

I with ARB in liking Armie Hammer more because he really physically fits the part, he is a really good actor and he can give Bruce nuance and even some humor. I will reserve judgement on Pattinson until I see him in action but not my first choice.
0 x
FU DC

ISAK
Titan

Fri May 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Penguin and... so tired of this... Catwoman are rumored to appear in the new movie:
https://link.hollywoodreporter.com/view ... e/de42d27e
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Fri May 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Yup, that's the only kind of Batman movie you could do when your Batman is Robert Pattinson. I've already seen many people calling for Kristen Stewart to play Catwoman (you know, because she and Pattinson played lovers in the Twilight movies.....the absolute genius), and Josh Gad has been campaigning hard to play the Penguin. I personally have lost all hope for Reeves' Batman, because it's obvious the kind of movie he wants to make, and both him and WB are clearly not wanting to take any risks here, and are just trying to recapture Nolan's lightening in a bottle again.

That's why I loved the idea of Affleck's older Batman, when the majority of people (as lacking in both imagination and intelligence) kept bemoaning the decision. I'm tired of Batman stories. I wanted this to be a Batman who actually has a role in the DCU and JL. Affleck was exactly that but he got chased off the franchise. I felt Hammer would've been the perfect replacement, but that's out of the window too. So now we'll have to take another 10 years of "realistic" Batman, and will have to put up with more BatCat bulls**t. Fun times ahead.

Also, this is from collider, seemingly confirming the Penguin/Catwoman news.
1 x

ISAK
Titan

Fri May 17, 2019 10:55 pm

It's a mistake trying to redo the Burton or Nolan's movies. Even Nolan tried to do something from before when he made Batman Begins with focusing on the mob and Scarecrow, and Ra's al Ghul. Because then people will just keep on drawing comparisons.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Sat May 18, 2019 12:32 am

Damn it now I'm sad again....I still think Robert was a good choice and that he could have made a good noir Batman but the Penguin and Catwoman news completely killed me. I guess we're just in for more 'realistic' Batman. Damn it.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Sat May 18, 2019 2:43 am

Told you, you can tell a book by its cover. WB still can't make up their mind about whether the movie will be in its own continuity or in the same continuity as the DCEU. Some say it's a prequel, but I don't see that being the case. Reeves clearly wants to make this movie his own, and he wants to be the next Nolan by cashing in on Batman's name with a trite aping of the Dark Knight trilogy.

On Penguin and Catwoman. The Penguin is the perfect low key mobster villain, so no surprises there. Catwoman was of course going to be in it. They cast a teenage heartthrob type of actor who's most well known for acting in a romantic movie franchise. There's was absolutely zero chance Catwoman wasn't gonna be in it.

I've seen a lot of people talking about how Pattinson will do a good job and that we shouldn't be too quick to judge, citing Heath Ledger and Ben Affleck as supporting evidence. My issue is not with Pattinson himself as I'm sure he's a fine actor. His casting however, makes it very clear to me what kind of Batman WB and Reeves want to make, and that's not the Batman I want to watch.
0 x

RadicalLogic
Teen Titan

Sat May 18, 2019 4:25 am

Been a long time, but I'm back!

I'm really iffy on Pattinson. Every other Batman actor, excluding Clooney, I could at least see as Bruce but old Robbie...I genuinely can't. It also doesn't help that from what I've seen, he doesn't actually have that big of a range. And just as a personal thing, his mumbling tone of voice really grates on my ears.

Penguin and Catwoman...Jesus, could they really get any more generic? Why not pick one of Batman's NON-NORMAL foes for a change? Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Man-Bat, Killer Croc, Clayface, Solomon Grundy, Gentleman Ghost, Dr. Phosphorus, Blockbuster, come on! Batman & Robin and Batman Begins were the only two movies to feature villains that weren't completely generic gangsters in gimp outfits, which is ridiculous.

And God, f**k off with Catwoman already...I actually like her character but DC keeps on stripping away everything that makes her remotely interesting and I don't trust them not to Mary Sue her up to the extreme and completely misunderstand what makes her dynamic with Batman work.
0 x
"Garlic deodorant. Jason says it wards off vampires up to ten feet away." - Black Canary

"I suspect it can ward off humans up to a hundred." - Batman

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Sat May 18, 2019 1:26 pm

I am hearing rumors that Penguin and Catwoman won't be the only two villains present in the movie. So that's something. Imagine how good a more Supernatural noir Batman story could be. Reeves could definitely do it 10 Cloverfield was great. Think like Solomon Grundy or Man-Bat or hell The Mad Monk. It would be such a waste to try and chase after Nolan's magic.
I can see Patterson as that sort of Batman, you know long gothic cape more urban myth than masked vigilante always in the shadows that sort of Batman. Oh well, it is what it is.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Sat May 18, 2019 9:49 pm

RadicalLogic wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:25 am
Been a long time, but I'm back!

I'm really iffy on Pattinson. Every other Batman actor, excluding Clooney, I could at least see as Bruce but old Robbie...I genuinely can't. It also doesn't help that from what I've seen, he doesn't actually have that big of a range. And just as a personal thing, his mumbling tone of voice really grates on my ears.

Penguin and Catwoman...Jesus, could they really get any more generic? Why not pick one of Batman's NON-NORMAL foes for a change? Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Man-Bat, Killer Croc, Clayface, Solomon Grundy, Gentleman Ghost, Dr. Phosphorus, Blockbuster, come on! Batman & Robin and Batman Begins were the only two movies to feature villains that weren't completely generic gangsters in gimp outfits, which is ridiculous.

And God, f**k off with Catwoman already...I actually like her character but DC keeps on stripping away everything that makes her remotely interesting and I don't trust them not to Mary Sue her up to the extreme and completely misunderstand what makes her dynamic with Batman work.
Hey man good to have you back.

I've stated my opinion on Pattinson already so no use repeating myself. I agree that the guy doesn't have the looks or the presence to play Bruce. He does give off a Christian Bale vibe which is surely the reason he got cast.

Nolan convinced the entire planet that the only way to do Batman is to go uber realistic, and remove all the comic booky elements from the character, or at least that's the lesson that people took away from his movies. People are idiots who want the same things repackaged and regurgitated back at them endlessly, and WB is tired of misfires and wants sure hits. Essentially redoing Nolan's TDK movies is the safest route to take, at least on a surface level.

I disagree on Catwoman. The problem with DC/WB is not that they don't "get" Catwoman's character, as there's not much about her to get. They keep stripping away from her character because there are really only two things you need to know about her, the first is that she's a thief, and the second is that she's Batman's love interest. The first part is at odds with the second, so one of the two needs to be heavily toned down in order for Catwoman to be in any usable shape.

"She's bad and he's good" is not much of a dynamic, especially when Catwoman's villainy is barely acknowledged anymore to not get in the way of her romance with Batman. Not to mention that there are other characters who provide that same dynamic and do it much better, like Talia before DC completely ruined her character. People only really care about Catwoman's romance with Batman, so DC and WB are doing everything they can to keep that going, and for that both Catwoman's thievery and Bruce's entire character will have to be butchered. This is what people want, it's just that they don't realize the price they're paying for it.
ThatOneGuy wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:26 pm
I am hearing rumors that Penguin and Catwoman won't be the only two villains present in the movie. So that's something. Imagine how good a more Supernatural noir Batman story could be. Reeves could definitely do it 10 Cloverfield was great. Think like Solomon Grundy or Man-Bat or hell The Mad Monk. It would be such a waste to try and chase after Nolan's magic.
I can see Patterson as that sort of Batman, you know long gothic cape more urban myth than masked vigilante always in the shadows that sort of Batman. Oh well, it is what it is.
Pattinson just doesn't have the physical presence that I'd expect from Batman. He looks more like a Robin or Nightwing. A supernatural Batman story would be a dream come true for me, but that's not what DC wants Batman to be, and WB seems to be following suit. The inclusion of Catwoman pretty much kills that chance, especially if they're sticking to a comic book accurate versions of the characters (So no cat resurrection shenanigans). You can't have Catwoman in a story and then have Batman go through something exciting. It will have to be a mob story to accommodate for Catwoman's presence as her complete mundanity would make her stand out like a sore thumb in anything with a hint of the supernatural.

Catwoman is a femme fetale kind of character that you would expect to see in a hard boiled detective story or mob stories, and Batman and his world are neither of those. Sure Batman is a detective and Gotham has mobsters in it, but there's far more to the Batman mythos than just that. As long as DC insists on saddling Batman with Catwoman, you can forget about seeing stories with mystical aspects or Batman solving supernatural cases, meaning that most of Batman's rogues gallery will remain locked away or reporpused for other Bat family members to go against.
1 x