0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Re: TITANS the live-action series - TRAILER

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:47 am

MTVCCVC wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:27 am
So is the show any good in the end?
I like it quite a lot. It does diverge from comics lure slightly, but not so much so that it impedes the story or characters.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:25 pm

The early trailer is still representative of the show's characterization and quality?
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:35 pm

MTVCCVC wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:25 pm
The early trailer is still representative of the show's characterization and quality?
It's expanded quite a lot since then, but the grit is still there if that's what you mean. However, it's been layered into a grander scheme of complexity within the greater arc and each team member's respective narrative. Also, the performances are very genuine and organic. There is a true sense of chemistry and care whenever a multi-character scene is in play.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:14 am

allright, I think I'll give it a shot and see how it works out.
1 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:58 pm

So I've watched the first episode with m wife. So far, better than I expected, but my expectation were rock bottom, so the only way to go was up,regardless of how often DC sees that as a challenge to take out a pickaxe and start digging.

Not sure if they took some criticism they got from the reveal trailer to heart, but there was no scene where Dick steps on a guys neck in the alley fight, so there's an improvement. The special effects are still weak-sauce, but hey, I don't imagine they had a fantastic budget.
Also, the choreography vacillates from impressive to so bad it isn't even funny.

In general, Dick comes off good, Raven's character is meh and Starfire is not so great. I'm not a fan of race-bending characters so I don't like the casting choice on that level, but the actress does a decent job with what she was given. She can't form a punching fist to save her life and if she ever actually tried to punch anything she'd break her hand, which is kind of nitpicky, I know, but as someone who has trained in martial arts, I can't not see those kinds of things.

I don't like what appears to be a Hooker-fire take on the character and her design is terrible. If she just dropped that dumb fur coat, she'd instantly become so much better...

In general, I am open to watching more of the show and reappraising it if it shows promise. Oh, and fuck the "Fuck Batman" line. So cringey....
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:53 pm

It does get better as the show goes on. Not a fan of the Starfire character design and she wears cringey clothes pretty much in all the episodes so far. I really like the latest episode mostly because she has good chemistry with Donna. Their relationship is still a bit adversarial but I can see them becoming friends and that is something I really enjoyed from the comics.
0 x
FU DC

ARB
Justice League

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Well...............I guess Batman is the final villain of Titans season 1 ? As someone who has yet to start the show, I'm very confused and quite concerned.

0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:32 pm

It isn't real, it is a mental manipulation of Dick by Trigon. Trigon says at the end of the last episode that he needs to feed off a broken heart before consuming the world. Dick is going to be his first victim.
0 x
FU DC

DaisyJane
Justice League

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:45 pm

It is more about Dick's darkness and rage than it is about Bruce. Dick is trying to figure out what kind of hero he wants to be. It isn't supposed to be about bashing Batman.
0 x
FU DC

ARB
Justice League

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Oh well OK then. Still surprised they're bringing Batman into this show. I don't believe we heard of any actor in the show who could potentially play Batman. On the other hand, it'd be really silly if they just obscure Bruce's face constantly or just show him from behind. Wonder how they'll handle it.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:29 pm

DaisyJane wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:45 pm
It is more about Dick's darkness and rage than it is about Bruce. Dick is trying to figure out what kind of hero he wants to be. It isn't supposed to be about bashing Batman.
Someone should tell Dick Fans that;
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:22 pm

ThatOneGuy wrote:
This just makes me wonder what's the point of Dick's continued association with Bruce. He is supposed to be a proof that Bruce does have a positive influence on Gotham, and that Batman's mission is indeed helping the people of the city. Dick should be Bruce's eldest son, the one who he can trust and depend on when something happens to him. What's the point of making Dick act antagonistic or ungrateful towards Bruce ? If that's the case then Dick might as well not exist at all.

I don't understand how things deteriorated so far that even batfamily fans are hating on Bruce, the guy who their favorite characters owe their existence to. I blame this on DC who constantly like to pit the Batfamily against Bruce in an attempt to boost the popularity of their solo books with no regards to the damage they're doing to the Batman brand as a whole. If Nightwing's fans hate Batman so much, why not simply remove Dick from the Batman brand entirely ? Also, why do many Dick fans demand that he be given the Batman mantle again ? It's all just so frustrating.
0 x

Helen-of-Troy
Teen Titan

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:28 am

ARB wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:22 pm
ThatOneGuy wrote:
This just makes me wonder what's the point of Dick's continued association with Bruce. He is supposed to be a proof that Bruce does have a positive influence on Gotham, and that Batman's mission is indeed helping the people of the city. Dick should be Bruce's eldest son, the one who he can trust and depend on when something happens to him. What's the point of making Dick act antagonistic or ungrateful towards Bruce ? If that's the case then Dick might as well not exist at all.

I don't understand how things deteriorated so far that even batfamily fans are hating on Bruce, the guy who their favorite characters owe their existence to. I blame this on DC who constantly like to pit the Batfamily against Bruce in an attempt to boost the popularity of their solo books with no regards to the damage they're doing to the Batman brand as a whole. If Nightwing's fans hate Batman so much, why not simply remove Dick from the Batman brand entirely ? Also, why do many Dick fans demand that he be given the Batman mantle again ? It's all just so frustrating.
Hmm, I think a really important part of Dick's character arc and general growth is about splitting away from Batman and finding out who he is on his own. Yeah, it's antagonistic, but if you think about it as an ordinary teenager-parent relationship plus all the baggage the pair of them have, it makes a fair amount of sense.

What I HOPE to see however, is the completion of this growth, which is bridging that gap and the pair of them fixing their relationship again, even if it's slow and painful. So I don't mind Dick being a bit angsty, as long as we can see that afterwards.
0 x
Not everything is a trick of the light.

ARB
Justice League

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Helen-of-Troy wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:28 am
Hmm, I think a really important part of Dick's character arc and general growth is about splitting away from Batman and finding out who he is on his own. Yeah, it's antagonistic, but if you think about it as an ordinary teenager-parent relationship plus all the baggage the pair of them have, it makes a fair amount of sense.

What I HOPE to see however, is the completion of this growth, which is bridging that gap and the pair of them fixing their relationship again, even if it's slow and painful. So I don't mind Dick being a bit angsty, as long as we can see that afterwards.
Well....yeah. Dick splitting off Bruce is a big part of his character, but that's supposed to come back full circle with the relationship between the two getting back on track. If that doesn't happen then what's the point ? That's the question I'm raising. A huge part of Dick's own fanbase seems to despise Bruce for overshadowing Dick, and because Dick ultimately remains subordinate to him, but that defeats the entire point of Dick existing in the first place. That would be like saying why is Jimmy still with Superman or why didn't Etta just punch Diana and take the WW mantle from her.

People wanting Dick, or whoever else of Bruce's supporting cast, to smack him in the face and "break away" from him clearly have no idea what they're talking about. On the other hand, none of the Batfamily members and associated characters are really vital to Bruce's character. Alfred, Gordon, and Batman's rogues gallery are everything Bruce would ever need. So if Batfamily members start becoming a hindrance to Bruce's character instead of an asset they might as well just go away. That will evidently make their own fans happier so where's the harm ?
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:57 am

ARB wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Well....yeah. Dick splitting off Bruce is a big part of his character, but that's supposed to come back full circle with the relationship between the two getting back on track. If that doesn't happen then what's the point ? That's the question I'm raising. A huge part of Dick's own fanbase seems to despise Bruce for overshadowing Dick, and because Dick ultimately remains subordinate to him, but that defeats the entire point of Dick existing in the first place. That would be like saying why is Jimmy still with Superman or why didn't Etta just punch Diana and take the WW mantle from her.

People wanting Dick, or whoever else of Bruce's supporting cast, to smack him in the face and "break away" from him clearly have no idea what they're talking about. On the other hand, none of the Batfamily members and associated characters are really vital to Bruce's character. Alfred, Gordon, and Batman's rogues gallery are everything Bruce would ever need. So if Batfamily members start becoming a hindrance to Bruce's character instead of an asset they might as well just go away. That will evidently make their own fans happier so where's the harm ?
I am going to share with you something I have noticed and kept to myself all my comic-book reading years. The Batfamily and their fans broadly speaking are/were never on Bruce's side. Batfamily fans hate Batman they are like spoiled children who got everything they wanted yet it isn't enough just go read through some of their forum posts and you will see for yourself. Benefiting from Batman's legacy and iconography isn't enough for them they want their favorites to replace him. Specifically, in Dicks case, Bruce needs to be the worst person, the worst mentor and the worst hero so Dick can prove his Superiority.

Long gone are the days of Bruce taking in Dick as a son and treating him like his 'Chum', retconned out for Bruce being an awful guardian and kicking him out on his own by Dixon I believe. Ever since then DC has been reminding us that it was Dick who saved Bruce and he was his greatest success while taking every chance they get to portray Bruce in a negative light. Hell TiTans is a prime example of this even if the Season finally is just a dream it is very revealing. At no point in the show has Dick said anything positive about Bruce he is only spoken about in a negative light its always about his darkness and him not showing him love nothing positive.
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:13 am

Sorry guys but I with Helen on this one. Dick is in an angsty place and his attitude toward Bruce is very negative at the moment. His perspective is skewed and he is trying to figure himself out. This story is not about Batman and Batman bashing, it is about Dick's growing up. There is a saying that from Mark Twain, "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years." Dick is only thinking of the bad part of his relationship with Bruce and he needs to get away and get perspective. We are in the beginning of the story and eventually I see Dick as growing up and becoming his own hero but also realizing all the great things that Bruce taught him.

I find this to be interesting storytelling not Batman bashing. Bruce is doing what a father should in letting Dick go with the hope that he finds his own place in the world but also eventually learns that he will always have a place with Bruce. I think Bruce's relationship with Dick enriches his character. Having five million other bat family characters, not so much.
0 x
FU DC

ISAK
Titan

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:13 pm

The problem is that in the comics at least they rarely show Bruce being a positive influence on Dick's life, outside of providing him the needed to be able to act as a vigilante/hero. They like to sell the idea that Dick turned well in despite of Bruce, and not because of Bruce. They sometimes even go as further as implying that Dick is the one who saved Bruce from getting worse as a person. It's the same old narrative that Bruce is a broken person who needs someone else to keep him functional as a human being or else he'll keep regressing and devolving as a person. If not the Bat-Family there to maintain his humanity, then Catwoman, as in some tales.

I feel that's the way they're treating the Dick x Bruce relationship in the series.
1 x

ARB
Justice League

Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:49 pm

DaisyJane wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:13 am
Sorry guys but I with Helen on this one. Dick is in an angsty place and his attitude toward Bruce is very negative at the moment. His perspective is skewed and he is trying to figure himself out. This story is not about Batman and Batman bashing, it is about Dick's growing up. There is a saying that from Mark Twain, "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years." Dick is only thinking of the bad part of his relationship with Bruce and he needs to get away and get perspective. We are in the beginning of the story and eventually I see Dick as growing up and becoming his own hero but also realizing all the great things that Bruce taught him.

I find this to be interesting storytelling not Batman bashing. Bruce is doing what a father should in letting Dick go with the hope that he finds his own place in the world but also eventually learns that he will always have a place with Bruce. I think Bruce's relationship with Dick enriches his character. Having five million other bat family characters, not so much.
I'm not talking specifically about the way Dick and his relationship with Bruce is depicted in Titans, I was talking about Dick's character in general in comics and shows and how he'is relationship with Bruce is treated by both DC and the fans. I believe that's what ThatOneGuy is talking about as well. I've already said that I haven't started watching the show yet (only watched the first episode and it was fine), so I'm in no position to judge the show's handling of Dick's and Bruce's relationship.

I was merely expressing concerns based on the few previews I've seen, and the fact that Geoff John's has a big hand in writing this show, and his track record with handling Bruce is less than ideal. We're not here to bash the show or anything, it's just that seeing and hearing about how the show depicts Bruce as some crazed monster who everyone is warning Dick about following in his footsteps brought back a discussion we've had before about the Batfamily and its current role in the Batman universe.

That's the thing that makes me worry. Dick thinking of Bruce is a terrible person is fine granted it's a phase he's bound to grow out of, but seeing other characters like Donna reinforce that idea makes it seem like the show is trying to make it a point that they're right in their assessment of Bruce, instead of the rebellious Dick just seeing the worst in his parental figure. Hopefully the show ends up handling it well, but that doesn't mean that the issue isn't still prevalent in most other depictions of the relationship.
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Yes I can understand that but to clarify, Donna doesn't bash Bruce in the show. The worst she says about him is that Batman was born to punish the guilty. She basically tells Dick he needs to get over himself and that he gave up the civilian life when he became Robin and he needs to find out who he is now. He doesn't have to be Robin or Batman but something that suits who he is now. So Batman doesn't come off as a bad guy just that he and Dick have problems. Batman is not really a character in the show, more like a presence in Dick's background. The show is a bit more edgy and violent than the Titans comic but as it moves along I am starting to see the spirit of them. Bringing in Donna was great because she lightens the show and she makes Dick laugh and you see more of the Dick that he is in the comics. I would recommend watching it and I will understand of course if you don't agree.

Also I have to agree that many comic fans are terrible. They really don't get what characters can mean to each other, just that their favorite has to be the best in the room. They also never seem to see the potential of characters working together and both coming out better in the end.
1 x
FU DC