Joker 2019 movie

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Joker 2019 movie

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:25 pm

Anyone saw it or plans to go see it?
My ability to go to the cinema is basically non-existent atm.

From what I hear, it's supposedly a pretty good Elseworld type of deal.

In a way it is supposed to be a story of what happens when one man (and later many more) finally snap after a lifetime of nothing but misery and abuse, with no hope in sight.

My only issue is how Joker will come off in such a story. The Joker's deal is that he is chaotic evil and he should be that way even if he has a "sympathetic" backstory.
0 x

Apolaki
Titan

Re: Joker 2019 movie

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:10 am

I just came back from a second viewing, it's fantastic.

The performance from Joaquin is worth the price of admission alone in my opinion. He did an awesome job portraying a mentally ill man who's having a ton of bad days, and I couldn't take my eyes of the screen every time he was on. Cinematography is beautiful, along with the soundtrack.

I would very much recommend it.
0 x
"All men have limits. They learn what they are and learn not to exceed them. I ignore mine." - Batman

ARB
Justice League

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:54 am

You know when I first heard of this movie, I thought WB must've gone insane to approve of such an idea, but after watching it for myself, damn if I wasn't completely wrong.

One thing I heard before watching Joker, was that it's a drama masquerading as a comic book movie, something I found to be completely false. The story wouldn't have hit as hard as it did had this been the story of an original character with no ties to the Batman universe. In fact, I was shocked by how the story tied itself to the Batman mythos. That ending scene was both chilling and jaw dropping. The cinematography and musical score were fantastic, and the performances by the cast, especially Joaquin Phoenix's Joker, were phenomenal.

Yes this was another "realistic and gritty" take on the Batman mythos, as trademarked by Nolan's trilogy, but it was still a fantastic movie, as much as I'd prefer WB to start producing more comic book accurate renditions of Batman's world on the silver screen. Seriously guys, go watch the movie for yourselves.

A trailer for Harley's up coming movie played in front of Joker, and wow the contrast was hilarious. Definitely no a good way to set the mode by WB.
0 x

RadicalLogic
Teen Titan

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:42 am

I'm gonna have to break with the crowd and say that I didn't really enjoy this movie. It's not a bad movie, the cinematography is fantastic and Joaquin Phoenix does a pretty great job with the material that he is given but when I left the theater, pretty much the only thought running through my head was "this movie didn't need to exist". People commented on how similar it is to Taxi Driver (which is a fucking understatement) but this works against the movie because it doesn't really show anything new that Taxi Driver didn't. Falling Down was also a movie partially retreading Taxi Driver's footsteps but it was mostly satire of the changing landscape of American culture and with an undercurrent of dark humor to differentiate it. Joker doesn't shine in either regard, being a fairly straightforward "class warfare" film and you could honestly drop the Batman ties altogether, since they are never used for anything other than "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" references.

(I'm also puzzled by this recent trend by writers of turning the Waynes into corrupt assholes, it almost feels like a defensive response to the "Batman is the story of a psychotic rich man beating the crap out of mentally ill poor people" accusation.)

As a look into Joker's character, it also doesn't offer anything new. Abused lower-class sociopath Joker was old hat by the early 2000's. At this point, it'd be more innovative for Joker's backstory to have him be an upper-class twat who gets slowly more unhinged as a result of living rich and famous. It'd certainly ring more true to life.
Last edited by RadicalLogic on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"Garlic deodorant. Jason says it wards off vampires up to ten feet away." - Black Canary

"I suspect it can ward off humans up to a hundred." - Batman

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:35 pm

The universe kind of conspired to allow me to see this movie

I'll get into it more later, but short version is that the movie is fantastic.

For ost of the movie, i was impressed, but wasn't exactly seeing why some people are calling it a masterpiece. Then it all came together in the last 10 minutes for me.

The only scene that doesn't work is the death of the Waynes. That aside, the movie is fantastic.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:39 pm

One of the biggest questions for me was whether the Joker will remain what he is supposed to be, an agent of chaos. The movie did nail that.
Joker is born from chaos and creates chaos, partially unintentionally. The movie itself feels chaotic at times, with weird pacing and plots that seem to just pop up, only for them to be revealed to be delusions (or maybe not?).

After watching it, I have to say I find the discussion surrounding the movie all the more interesting, with the very distinct exception of the media who were trying to spin a moral panic around it. The movie itself is in many ways chaotic which allows people to see any and all messages in it.

Many of the themes and plot points are very obviously present, but aren't that blatant or in your face. Even the scenes that are very direct, feel kind of subtle in the larger scheme of everything.

It is at the same time a movie about a broken man struggling in a callous world who can't catch a break and spirals further down into insanity, a film about a callous chaotic world filled with miserable, selfish people that spirals into insanity, a movie about class struggle in a callous world that spirals into insanity, a movie about a lack of understanding and empathy between people that facilitates more and more chaos and insanity... I think at this point you can see where I'm going with this.

For instance, if the delinquent kids hadn't beaten Arthur up at the beginning of the movie which lead to his co-worker giving him a gun (not really out of the goodness of his heart), then Arthur wouldn't have been able to shoot those 3 rich cunts on the train, which wouldn't have escalated the situation in the city.

I disagree with the notion that Thomas Wayne was portrayed as a corrupt asshole. He isn't evil or corrupt, he is just blind to things and thus lives in his own reality.
The 3 rich cunts that get shot by Arthur in self defense, Thomas talks about them on the TV talking about how they were good men and like family, "even though [he] never met them personally". When he talks about becoming mayor in order to help lift up the poor, I actually believe he means it, but he acts like a cunt, talking about how "until these people don't stop resenting those of us who have made something of our lives, we will see them as nothing more that clowns" or something like that.

When he is confronted by Arthur about his mother, he isn't twirling his mustache, he is just a callous, selfish and shows no empathy for Arthur and it doesn't even come off as him being high and mighty, just trying to deal with his life and problems and not wanting to be burdened by a strangers problems.

Now, the Thomas Wayne of the regular Universe wouldn't be such an uncaring ass, but this is an Elseworlds where everyone is a selfish, callous cunt.

In many ways, in the last 10 minutes, the movie comes off as one of those Seconds from Disaster shows, because throughout the movie, so many small and not so small things happen and you can see the connections, but they don't seem so big at the time, until they culminate and then everything, from the least to the most significant things appear major and instrumental to the finale.

Most of the movie is not funny, but there are some points of humor in it, but even that is twisted and dark. The scene with Gary and Arthur in Arthur's apartment is fucking amazing. Really good dark humour.

The only scene that doesn't work for me in the movie is the death of the Waynes. In this movie, there is absolutely no reason what so ever for Bruce to survive that.

Joaqin Phoenix is absolutely amazing. He is really compelling to watch and he goes through an amazing range of performance in this movie. Some of the looks he gives to the camera were legit chilling. The final scene is haunting, in a way. It seems kind of unimportant at first, until you notice certain visual details and then it goes nuts at the end, and yet at the same time, it is kind of tame.

All in all, I haven't seen a movie this good in a long time. Must watch.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:52 am

This is one of the best reviews of the movie i've seen thus far.

Take away line:
"This is a story of people failing to understand each other. About failing to see the other person's point of view and how that lack of understanding can so easily turn to anger, resentment and vengeance."
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:32 am

Joker is now the most profitable comic book movie ever made, topping almost $1 billion worldwide

The movie, which only came out in the beginning of October, has already topped $955 million (£747 million) and this is excluding China.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/08/joker-no ... -11068748/

I'm quite glad to see this, but I'm also afraid of what this means, because this means Hollywood is going to shit out a metric buttload of wanna-be Joker-esque movies with none of the passion or understanding of what made the movie work.
I'm also not hopeful for the potential sequel (that I don't really want there to be at all), because this means Hollywood is going to definitely want to make it and meddle in it with bullshit to give it more appeal to the mythical "wider audience", diluting it to an inferior product (*khm* Deadpool 2 *khm*)

The dark side of success, i suppose. Now I'm sad again...
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:59 am

Yea, I saw this too. I guest the low budget plus making more than a billion while not doing much advertising really works. I doubt any other movie could do something like this.
0 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Every so often a movie becomes a big hit despite going through production hell, on a shoe-string budget and fighting executives who are doggedly convinced it won't sell followed by Holywood getting a raging money boner and making increasing inferior derivatives of it and ruining what was good about the standout in the process.

Happens in TV land too, though it usually manifest in increasingly shit seasons as a series progresses.
0 x