i did a poll on the shows subreddit it wonderbat on the lead for now
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Re: Harley quinn tv show

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:58 pm

Lurker nomore wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:30 am
I wish they just make a ship book for each faction then everyone would be happy and tptb would make lots of money. But that just makes to much sense so it will never happen. Or they other shipping groups will be scared one would become the dominant one and guess which one the one that they never let have a chance. That would be batman and wonderwoman.
Given the war the BatCats are waging on everyone, I doubt this is a realistic approach. Also, while I wouldn't mind having BMWW confined to Elseworlds type of stories, I think BatCat has gotten to the point where it's far too damaging to Batman as a character for it to continue. I wouldn't mind living in a world where Bruce/Talia, Bruce/Zee, BMWW, Diana/Steve, and any other ship co-exit, but BatCat has got to go. The ship is garbage, and its fandom is toxic dregs that should never be pandered to.
1 x

Chaosmob
Site Admin
Justice League Membership: Plastic Man

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:11 am

Batcat sounds like it's getting as crazy as Superwonder. :angry: :angry: :angry: Maybe it's them that are posting as BatCat fans? I'm just wondering the after effects of the love drug on them. Did they do something weird like a three way??? Or Even Worst!! Superman watched. lol
0 x
Can I have one more day? Every one I have left. My life is yours.
League membership: Plastic Man

ARB
Justice League

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:13 pm

I had the misfortune of getting into the shipping sphere around 2016, when DC Rebirth was just starting out and DC was just getting done tearing the New 52 to shreds (or at least it seemed that way to some people). I pretty much witnessed the torch passing from the SMWW to the BatCats as the absolute worst part of DC's fandoms. But to be honest I don't think the reason for how bad they are is related to how terrible BatCat or SMWW are.

DC Rebirth was to BatCat what the New 52 was to SMWW. A fandom that gets pandered to so heavily will not take kindly to suddenly being made irrelevant overnight. You don't hear much from the SMWW cultists nowadays, but that's mainly because they haven't had anything going their way for a few years now. If things continue heading the way they are at DC right now, expect the BatCats to get much quieter as well, although I suspect they'll put up a bigger fight if only due to how nasty they tend to be.

If the surge in popularity that BMWW experienced after BvS is any indication, it's clear that people simply love the concept of shipping itself. It really does not take much for people to flock towards a ship once a few explicit moments are shown. Even though I believe BMWW tends to attract fans with more than shallow surface understanding of the characters due to its not in-your-face obvious nature, I fully believe that if BMWW received sustained support from DC for a couple of years, that the crazier less pleasant type of fans will start showing up as well. It's just the nature of shipping, and I have no idea how it can be made less toxic.

That's why I don't take the matter of canon lightly. Sure comic retcons happen every few years, and crisis events are becoming more frequent, so nothing should really matter but it's not really that easy. Once something is officially put into paper by DC, it will remain in there forever. It will create a fandom, and will have an effect on what people expect in the future. It shapes expectations and desensitize people to awful ideas. This is why I've been saying that DC failed spectacularly in curating its readership, resulting in the absolute chaos you see today.

My ramblings have gone on for long enough at this point, but what I'm trying to say is that terrible shipping fandoms, no matter how much I hate them, are a symptom of DC's failings that I don't see going away any time soon.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:19 pm

Your assessment of the nature of fandom seems about right but I will go on to say that while all fandom do have their toxic sides some seem to be worst than others and I believe that the nature of the material or "ship" in question plays a huge part in the toxicisity of the fans.

Let's not forget both BatCat and SM/WW are not health relationships and/or concepts. I think people who like these relationships will inherently be more toxic individuals. Wonderbat on the other hand IF done well in pretty light and I think less toxic people will be drown to it making the fandom less toxic.

I full agree with you when it comes to continuity and what is canon. Comics are sequencial fiction the concepts of linearity is very important just like in soaps or DnD. The fact that people don't get this is crazy to me. Then you have the people who want the character to age in real time and so on pretty crazy that a fanbase filled with mostly adults can't understand these concepts. Imagine if Elmo on seseame street aged in real time absolute madness.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:38 pm

Oh I certainly agree. As I've said, BMWW non-obvious nature seems to attract a more reasonable kind of fans, those who're willing to think a bit deeper about the characters and how they connect together. However, what I'm saying is that once BMWW becomes a thing and people see two hot characters being hot together, that will inevitably attract all kind of people and suddenly the BMWW fanbase will start looking less pleasant due to the influx of new fans coming in. It's just the nature of shipping I'm afraid. Although to be fair the BatCat and SMWW fanbases are awful in their own unique ways, so the ship itself definitely has something to do with it. Makes me curious to see what kind shape the BMWW fanbase will take once it get really big.

To counter my own argument though, the Clois fanbase seems really pleasant overall despite some outliers, so maybe my outlook is a bit bleaker than it needs to be.

If there's one hill I'm willing to die one, it's the importance of continuity. You wouldn't believe how many times I've read people saying that continuity should be abandoned, or that DC is better for not focusing on it. Shared continuity is what makes comics unique, and without it there's simply little to no reason to care about anything that's happening. People who want to age characters up are probably the same who want to see their "endgame" ship prevail, in other words you shouldn't give them the time of day.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:19 am

Yea, I completely get your point. You think the relatively obscure nature of BM/WW ensure that most fans are somewhat more pleasant and that once it hits the mainstream things will change. I somewhat disagree, as you pointed out some fandoms manage to remain pleasant even though they are popular and I think BM/WW will be the same. No doubt there will be some bad actors but I think overall we will have a positive fandom. The nature of the relationship in question matter's IMO toxic relationship breeds toxic fans period.

Continuity is basically the glue that holds comics together without it the whole endeavour falls apart. I am always amazed at the comic book fandom and industrys perchant for self distruction. It's almost as if comic book fans and Creator's hate comics and want to distroy everything unique about them. I have a theory as to why that is but I digress.
0 x

RadicalLogic
Teen Titan

Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:03 am

ARB wrote:
Oh I certainly agree. As I've said, BMWW non-obvious nature seems to attract a more reasonable kind of fans, those who're willing to think a bit deeper about the characters and how they connect together. However, what I'm saying is that once BMWW becomes a thing and people see two hot characters being hot together, that will inevitably attract all kind of people and suddenly the BMWW fanbase will start looking less pleasant due to the influx of new fans coming in. It's just the nature of shipping I'm afraid. Although to be fair the BatCat and SMWW fanbases are awful in their own unique ways, so the ship itself definitely has something to do with it. Makes me curious to see what kind shape the BMWW fanbase will take once it get really big.
I think BM/WW will be fine regardless of how big the fandom gets. It already gets plenty of shit flung its way and stereotyped as unreasonable and uncompromising (I think the worst I ever saw was years back with Yale Stewart's JL8, when people absolutely PILED on BM/WW because of a couple of jokes) by its detractors, so I doubt new fans will bring anymore problems. Besides, you could argue that BM/WW is pretty big already - I see way more fans of the pairing than I would've, say, around a decade ago and that was during the height of the post-JLU era and before the New 52.
ARB wrote:
To counter my own argument though, the Clois fanbase seems really pleasant overall despite some outliers, so maybe my outlook is a bit bleaker than it needs to be.
Meh, from my experience Clois fanbase can be almost as unreasonably rabid as Bat/Cat ones and Lois has her..."moments" as a character. Much like Bat/Cat for Batman, they are also considered the "default" pairing for Superman, so any deviation is almost nonexistent save for SM/WW. Hell, I'd argue that half the SM/WW shippers are probably Superman fans that are simply frustrated at the absolute stranglehold Clois has over Superman's romantic options, with WW being literally the only non-Lois option they have left.
ARB wrote:
If there's one hill I'm willing to die one, it's the importance of continuity. You wouldn't believe how many times I've read people saying that continuity should be abandoned, or that DC is better for not focusing on it. Shared continuity is what makes comics unique, and without it there's simply little to no reason to care about anything that's happening. People who want to age characters up are probably the same who want to see their "endgame" ship prevail, in other words you shouldn't give them the time of day.
The problem is, it's increasingly harder to maintain continuity without aging up characters at some point. Like it or not, Batman having 15 different sidekicks of varying ages ends up dating the character and Bruce's default age keeps climbing. Detractors there have a point that this is the kind of situation long-term where you simply cannot have your cake and eat it too. It's less to do with shipping and more with fans of certain characters (*cough*Nightwing*cough*) being frustrated with the frozen status quo that gets more ridiculous as it goes on.
0 x
"Garlic deodorant. Jason says it wards off vampires up to ten feet away." - Black Canary

"I suspect it can ward off humans up to a hundred." - Batman

Chaosmob
Site Admin

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:12 pm

All fandoms have there die hard fans, hell when I first got into WonderBat just seeing a SM/WW pic of them in an embrace made me want to up chuck!!! lol I've grown and so will they as time goes on. (I hope!) My only experience when hatred towards a ship is the Sm/WW shippers towards WonderBat, so my experience is very limited. My only qualm against them and a lot of DC Writers is that Diana is the one waiting for Lois and Clark to break up.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:04 pm

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:19 am
Yea, I completely get your point. You think the relatively obscure nature of BM/WW ensure that most fans are somewhat more pleasant and that once it hits the mainstream things will change. I somewhat disagree, as you pointed out some fandoms manage to remain pleasant even though they are popular and I think BM/WW will be the same. No doubt there will be some bad actors but I think overall we will have a positive fandom. The nature of the relationship in question matter's IMO toxic relationship breeds toxic fans period.

Continuity is basically the glue that holds comics together without it the whole endeavour falls apart. I am always amazed at the comic book fandom and industrys perchant for self distruction. It's almost as if comic book fans and Creator's hate comics and want to distroy everything unique about them. I have a theory as to why that is but I digress.
Yeah I hope things don't change much once BMWW becomes a thing. I mean I've already seen some BMWW fans being assholes before, I don't want to make it sound that the fandom is perfect because no online fandom is, but so far it seems things have been mostly kept nice.

The more continuity gets messy the messier the fandom will become. DC hasn't been keeping its continuity clean and that's reflected on the state of its fans. I believe that anything should have a place in comics, even things I dislike, but the main continuity should be treated with more care than what DC's been doing. Many writers today simply have to respect for the characters they write or their long history and it shows in their work, something that DC has failed to prevent and they're reaping the results of that.
Chaosmob wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:12 pm
All fandoms have there die hard fans, hell when I first got into WonderBat just seeing a SM/WW pic of them in an embrace made me want to up chuck!!! lol I've grown and so will they as time goes on. (I hope!) My only experience when hatred towards a ship is the Sm/WW shippers towards WonderBat, so my experience is very limited. My only qualm against them and a lot of DC Writers is that Diana is the one waiting for Lois and Clark to break up.
That's why I said fandoms in general, and shipping fandoms specifically, are inherently a toxic affair no matter the circumstances. You can't police a fandom, and the bigger it gets the messier things will become. It's just how things are. My personal experience is also pretty limited mostly because I go out of my way to avoid encountering anyone outside of the BMWW circle, and I still see my fair share of stupidity every now and then. There's always a surge in aggressiveness towards BMWW whenever something like the moment from the Harley show happens, and that will never not annoy me. I hate SMWW and BatCat, but I've never tried to argue with people who likes them just to prove them wrong, or worse wait until they get something I know they will enjoy just to jump in and try to take it away from them. It's the sheer pettiness and maliciousness of it that gets me.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

RadicalLogic wrote:
I think BM/WW will be fine regardless of how big the fandom gets. It already gets plenty of shit flung its way and stereotyped as unreasonable and uncompromising (I think the worst I ever saw was years back with Yale Stewart's JL8, when people absolutely PILED on BM/WW because of a couple of jokes) by its detractors, so I doubt new fans will bring anymore problems. Besides, you could argue that BM/WW is pretty big already - I see way more fans of the pairing than I would've, say, around a decade ago and that was during the height of the post-JLU era and before the New 52.
I agree. BMWW is much bigger than what its canon material would have you think, to the point that I've seen many people new to comics be disappointed with hoe little BMWW there actually is after getting into it with the DCAU or BvS. At the risk of sounding biased, I don't believe I've ever seen a DC ship gets such a visceral panicked out of people reaction the way BMWW does. It just seems to piss of so many different types of fandoms simultaneously it's kind of amazing. I was talking more about how awful shipping fandoms are in general based on my personal experience, and I might've projected my distaste and fears on the BMWW fandom, which I admit might've been overly cynical of me.
wrote:
Meh, from my experience Clois fanbase can be almost as unreasonably rabid as Bat/Cat ones and Lois has her..."moments" as a character. Much like Bat/Cat for Batman, they are also considered the "default" pairing for Superman, so any deviation is almost nonexistent save for SM/WW. Hell, I'd argue that half the SM/WW shippers are probably Superman fans that are simply frustrated at the absolute stranglehold Clois has over Superman's romantic options, with WW being literally the only non-Lois option they have left.
I will take your word on it because my rather admittedly limited experience with them has been at least civil, although to be fair they have no reason to hate on BMWW or Batman so perhaps I just never seen the worst of them. As I've said shipping in general is a messy circle, but I feel DC forces its readers to participate and get invested in it by how they treat romance and the pivotal part it plays in how characters are portrayed. There's absolutely no excuse for allowing King to write what's essentially an 85-issues long BatCat fanfic, bordering on smut at points, as the main Batman title, but they did and would've allowed to continue had sales not tanked. Chalk it up as another thing DC fails at I guess.
wrote:
The problem is, it's increasingly harder to maintain continuity without aging up characters at some point. Like it or not, Batman having 15 different sidekicks of varying ages ends up dating the character and Bruce's default age keeps climbing. Detractors there have a point that this is the kind of situation long-term where you simply cannot have your cake and eat it too. It's less to do with shipping and more with fans of certain characters (*cough*Nightwing*cough*) being frustrated with the frozen status quo that gets more ridiculous as it goes on.
I think the issue is continuity and character ages is one thing, while the increasing issue of the monstrosity that the Bat family has become is another one entirely. Comic book readers shouldn't be concerned with how time passes to begin with. Who cares how much time has passed ? It's comic books, it's fiction with aliens and magic, what use is knowing or even wanting time to pass normally ? It's just comic book readers being their typical stupid selves.

On the Batfamily, you can blame writers wanting to introduce their own characters and taking the easy way that's Batman to do it. Just attach your character to Batman and watch the free publicity coming in. What better way is there to ensure that their creations survive ? That's why the Batfamily has become the bloated mess it is today, and DC still does not understand that Bruce IS the one the matters above all else, and no matter how much they attempt to use him to push their side characters he's the one that brings in the sales, evident by how characters like Batwoman tank immediately once they leave to have their own books.

Nightwing is a unique problem. I have seen him go from a character I enjoy to a character I borderline hate and I have no idea how to fix him to be honest. His fans will always want him become big on his own, something that most of them realize will never happen without him taking over the Batman mantle and Bruce disappearing, so they'll never be satisfied with anything that DC does with him. His age is also a persistent problem, but to be honest just write him well and I couldn't' care less for how old he or Bruce are.
0 x

theamerican
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Lobo

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:13 am

ARB wrote:

Nightwing is a unique problem. I have seen him go from a character I enjoy to a character I borderline hate and I have no idea how to fix him to be honest. His fans will always want him become big on his own, something that most of them realize will never happen without him taking over the Batman mantle and Bruce disappearing, so they'll never be satisfied with anything that DC does with him. His age is also a persistent problem, but to be honest just write him well and I couldn't' care less for how old he or Bruce are.
Im the believer Bruce only has three Robins, Dick, Jason, Tim. He meets Superman when he has Jason I’d say, but he has Jason for only two maybe three years. You can have Jason being resurrected slightly ages him. Bruce joins the JL I always say when he has Tim. How to make Dick work honestly is it makes more sense now that Dick is a teenager (high school age) when he becomes Robin. The one thing the Schumacher films I’ll give them credit for is they followed the BTAS that Dick does better with Bruce as being a teenager/college student. When you have at least three Robins, you don’t need the Dennis the Menace ten year old running around for each. Also makes interesting writing between Dick and Bruce as foils. Bruce has his childhood and family robbed from him before he hit puberty, Dick saw his family die as that threshold between boy and man. Can explain why they’re different in how they handle ptsd. Dick is a great character because he’s a foil to Batman. That’s the difference between Batman and Nightwing. Ones the masked avenger, the other is the charming vigilante.
1 x
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -Patton
"A people free to choose will always choose peace. "-Ronald Reagan
"...law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."-Thomas Jefferson

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:51 pm

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.cn ... batmobile/

Apparently the show hasn’t been renewed for a third season yet.
0 x
Missing the DCAU, already missed DCcU
OTP since the First Date

Chaosmob
Site Admin

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:07 am

I hope it does. :)
0 x

Chaosmob
Site Admin

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:25 pm

It's been renewed for season 3!!! :)
0 x

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:29 pm

Nice 👌. I haven’t watched the show fully yet, but I’ll like to support any big DC animated projects.
0 x
Missing the DCAU, already missed DCcU
OTP since the First Date