Star Wars

adenjones93
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Flash (Wally West)

Re: Star Wars

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:44 pm

The Sulkier Clown wrote:
adenjones93 wrote:Eventually being the key word here...

He says after spending several months obsessing about it and then going within a day of its release...
:D I'll get by somehow, I guess Christmas could provide some kind of distraction?
0 x
Damian Wayne is the worst character ever.

That is all.

The Sulkier Clown
Justice League

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:16 pm

adenjones93 wrote::D I'll get by somehow, I guess Christmas could provide some kind of distraction?
Unless, of course, your Christmas proves insignificant next to the power of the Force...Awakens
0 x
Figured after recent times the foot of my posts needed a pun, so I had to shoehorn one in.

Tangerine...

theamerican
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Lobo

Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:59 pm

Saw it on Christmas Eve. Had to wait until I was home because my mother wanted to see it with me. Have to say I'm glad I avoided any spoilers miraculously the whole time.
Spoiler: Show
Overall liked the film. Felt like they kind of cheated a little by recycling the plot of Episode IV but at the same time still found some originality. The new characters are all likeable and a breath of fresh air. Really this film was saturated with the original trilogy to cast to help ease in our transition to the new ones.

Really liked Poe and felt he was underused. Looking forward to seeing more of him. He has good chemistry with Finn. As for Finn I liked him a lot. Even though he was the source of comic relief he did actually have a depth and his back story was new and refreshing. Instead of Rey who was an amalgram of Princess Leia, Padme, and Luke, and Poe who is the next generation Solo, Finn is a new character. A deserter. A man bred to kill and yet still chooses not to be what they want him to do. While the film sort of glossed over that part of Finn I hope they take the opportunity in the next films to examine that complexity of the character more closely. And I liked Rey too. Rumor online is her parentage isn't the issue but rather she is the Chosen One, not Anakin.

I liked Adam Driver a lot as Kylo because how do you top Vader? Can't go with the Maul route again and you don't want to just hire another veteran actor. Why not make someone who tries to be Vader but fails. While Anakins emo persona fell flat in the prequels (due to Lucas's bad execution and conflicting motives for the character) this one works because that's who he is supposed to be. That little kid trying to live up to grandaddys potential but in reality is a big pussy.

I'm hoping by killing Han Solo though that makes him irredeemable. It would be too cliche to make him good like Vader. I rather see him be a much more tragic villain. If he makes it to episode 9 I like to see more that he and Rey have their inevitable final battle and during it, Kylo admits remorse for what has happened but hes gone too far and invested and sacrificed too much for power that he rather keep that power than lose it. Make him the villain that is deep down regretful of his actions but does it because he has no choice.
Prequels were ok. Rather they provided more interesting back story for the universe despite them being shitty movies. Concepts were good, special effects great, music fan fucking tastic. Really it was the acting, pacing, plot framing, and the dialogue that killed the movie.
0 x
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -Patton
"A people free to choose will always choose peace. "-Ronald Reagan
"...law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."-Thomas Jefferson

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:37 pm

The best bit of the prequels (or only good one, depending on your point of view) for me were Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ewan McGregor.
To be perfectly honest, despite the "Goooddd..." and "POWAH! UNLIMITED POWAH!" scenes, I thought Palpatine was done fairly well, all things considering.
0 x

theamerican
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Lobo

Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:05 pm

I thought Ian McDirmad was fantastic. He was the only real decent actor I thought of the prequels. Ewan McGregor was alright too. Really I blame the acting on Lucas though. He's not an actor's director, more of a visionary director.
0 x
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -Patton
"A people free to choose will always choose peace. "-Ronald Reagan
"...law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."-Thomas Jefferson

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:26 am

Slightest of spoilers here, but:
I want Captain Phazma to end up being Fin's personal archenemy in the movies. He's like the one epic failure in her career and she's the symbol of all the First Order did to him and tried to force him to be.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

adenjones93
Justice League

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:01 pm

Finally got round to seeing it! It was...great. I liked it and will see it again (I am doing in a few days with a friend).
The rehashed plot with a 'Death Star' was disappointing because as soon as I saw it (the base), I knew they were going for a 'disable shields and trench run to blow up' show.

However, that scene where it did fire and blew up the planets? Holy balls that was cool as fuck.

Characters were great, The Finn and Poe Bromance was so good to watch and Finn is a class character. Also, Daisy Ridely naaaaaailed it. Seriously, Rey was brilliant to watch and so refreshing. And Kylo was a great villain. The journey he went throughout the film was fantastic to watch.

Lighting was so good as well, that last fight between Rey and Kylo looked brilliant.
I could say more but eh fuck it. I just saw a new Star Wars film and it made me smile throughout. Bring on the next episode!
0 x

That is all.

adenjones93
Justice League

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:03 pm

Oh and Captain Phasma has the potential to be another great villain. Disappointed she didnt get so much screen time but no doubt she will be great in the next film(s).
0 x

That is all.

no avatar
CrazyPhenom
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Maxwell Lord

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Heh, maybe. I really thought she was there to make a cool action figure, collectors edition type of thing, because thats one cool armor
0 x
Yup... Its 5AM.

"Grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless." - Chester Nimitz

JL Member: Maxwell Lord

adenjones93
Justice League

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:11 pm

It was super cool! Really great way to distinguish her from the rest. Kinda reminded me of Dark Troopers from Battlefront 2...

I wish she did more, so much potential with it but all I saw her do was walk around with her gun out. But hey, maybe they are setting her up for the next film.
0 x

That is all.

The Sulkier Clown
Justice League

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:23 am

adenjones93 wrote:
It was super cool! Really great way to distinguish her from the rest. Kinda reminded me of Dark Troopers from Battlefront 2...

I wish she did more, so much potential with it but all I saw her do was walk around with her gun out. But hey, maybe they are setting her up for the next film.
Suspect its because the Phasma design was actually originally one of many they were thinking of for Kylo Ren, that got rejected for him for story reasons but they liked the design too much to ditch it entirely. And thus Phasma was born. Which says to me her character was a late comer to the party, after they had a good chunk of the story figured out. So what we got this time around was more about squeezing her in than a fully plotted thread. But I agree with Grendle. I reckon she'll be Finn's chief antagonist going forwards with a bigger role to play.
0 x
Figured after recent times the foot of my posts needed a pun, so I had to shoehorn one in.

Tangerine...

enter desired name
Justice League

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:55 am

I thought most of the characters in the film (minus the ones that got no screen time) were great, but I really liked Rey's character. I think she's one of the strongest leading characters Star Wars has had (and her and Finn had great chemistry).

That being said, towards the end, I can see where some of the "Mary Sue" comments were coming from. I think they're wrong by and by, but, well...

Sure, Ren had a gaping injury, and yes his training wasn't complete yet, but her being able to stand up to him in terms of force power and lightsaber wielding seemed...off to me. It's kinda like how I still call bullshit every time I see Luke knock down Darth Vader; he ain't powerful enough for that yet. But yeah, good character; pretty sure she's going to be related to Luke in some way, which means yet again a Skywalker wins "parent of the year".

Otherwise, thought the movie was excellent despite the fact that I had the big reveal spoiled to me even before the movie came out. Well and the fact that Ren is just another Darth Vader with a wrinkly old weirdo as his tempter, and the fact that the bad guys are now 0-3 in the Death Star category (seriously, why has no one else made a Star Forge yet? That thing worked amazing!).

Solid movie otherwise. Here's hoping Kasdan stays on; you can really tell how the quality of the dialogue goes up when he's working on the scripts.
0 x
“Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-"God damn it, you've got to be kind".”

The Sulkier Clown
Justice League

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:25 am

enter desired name wrote:
Here's hoping Kasdan stays on; you can really tell how the quality of the dialogue goes up when he's working on the scripts.
Rian Johnson (mainly known for the film Looper) is writing episode VIII and IX. Also happens to be directing VIII. Colin Treverrow (of Jurassic World fame) is directing IX so may touch the script up a bit as he has in prior works. As for Kasdan, he's co-writing the Han Solo anthology film coming in 2018 before apparently retiring from Star Wars. His son happens to be the other writer, with Lord and Miller (Lego Movie, also writers of the Flash movie coming soon) directing and no doubt having a strong input on the script.
0 x

Tangerine...

adenjones93
Justice League

Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:47 pm

Saw it for a second time today, still great :)
0 x

That is all.

The Sulkier Clown
Justice League

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:41 pm

I also have just returned from a second viewing, and I thought it was even better than first time around. What a film!!

But I have to say, it doesn't matter how good the new guys are, nobody tops Chewie!!!
0 x

Tangerine...

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:57 pm

I just got back from my second viewing, and yes it was very awesome and I love the movie.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

adenjones93
Justice League

Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:24 pm

I thought the trailer music was nothing short of epic. Here is a viedo with just the audio.

Holy damn..
0 x

That is all.

The Sulkier Clown
Justice League

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:53 pm

adenjones93 wrote:I thought the trailer music was nothing short of epic. Here is a viedo with just the audio.

Holy damn..
Haha damn is right mate! Though what else should we expect of John Williams?!?

Although if you want epic, you ought to be giving this vid a spin...
The true star of Episode VII!!!
0 x

Tangerine...

adenjones93
Justice League

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:18 pm

Some funny pics for you all.

Warning they are spoilers but c'mon, everyone has seen it by now. And if you haven't, there's still time..just saying.

I spoiler tagged it for ya though, got you covered.
0 x

That is all.

Chaosmob
Site Admin
Justice League Membership: Plastic Man

Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:29 pm

LOL!
0 x
Can I have one more day? Every one I have left. My life is yours.
League membership: Plastic Man