Wonderbat Blues

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Re: Wonderbat Blues

Wed May 08, 2019 8:05 am

In our current climate I don't see Warner Bros. hooking Wonder Woman up with Batman, because that would upset too many of the Twitter/Tumblr people that big entertainment corporations seem to be gearing towards more and more these days, for some reason. A lot of those people just plain don't like Batman, want to see Diana hooked up with another woman, or would see it as making Wonder Woman less of her own character and more of Batman's girlfriend. Good news about that though, they probably won't have her hook up with Superman in the movies or shows for the same reasons. Always look for that silver lining.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

ISAK
Titan

Wed May 08, 2019 11:59 am

Grendle1853 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:05 am
Good news about that though, they probably won't have her hook up with Superman in the movies or shows for the same reasons. Always look for that silver lining.
But they did. In several comics, several animated movies that adapted said comics, several video-games, and even a cartoon for the CN network. And they even portrayed Wonder Woman awfully in such things. Like some form of lovesick puppy who's finally getting it with the jock of her dreams.
"SOME" people complained about it in the social media, yes, mostly because it was depicted awfully more than anything else, but DC and Warner Bros still kept on doing it. Over and over again. They only stopped because it proved to not be as profitable as they hoped it'd be. It actually was a sales disaster.
Even after they stopped pushing for that pairing everywhere they still used the recent-ish Reign of the Supermen animated movie to not only referenced it, but to kinda of passive-aggressively complain about the audience complaints and/or disregard regarding their continued portrayal of not only relationship, but Wonder Woman characterization. Using Wonder Woman character in the animated movie as their voice, no less.

So if DC/Warner Bros wanted, i don't see why they'd let themselves be stopped by Twitter. Specially if it sold.
1 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Wed May 08, 2019 2:21 pm

ISAK wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:59 am

So if DC/Warner Bros wanted, i don't see why they'd let themselves be stopped by Twitter. Specially if it sold.
And sell it would!

I second this sentiment completely. The only thing stopping DC from doing it is the same thing that has always been in the way: Editorial. The right person to make it happen or at least passively allow for it just hasn't gotten into DC's upper ranks yet.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

no avatar
Lurker nomore
Teen Titan

Wed May 08, 2019 11:51 pm

greatest strength of batman versatility that is why the haters hate him he could fit any story from crime sci fi to super natural and it works. You have to sometimes depower superman either mentally or physically to make that story work and they do not like that at all. Well that is my theory for the haters. Their is always that possibility of loss and struggle but the haters want him to lose because of past victories that he had through ingenuity luck or just perserverence. Or maybe I am crazy thinking that way. I do not mind when he gets knocked but trying to destroy his ideals like they are doing now is where I get mad about that. Also King and most people nowadays do not know how a real relationship between the sexes work that is where the confusion comes from thanks to those feminists that hate men and it seeped everywhere and you can see the results. my take on that though.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Thu May 09, 2019 5:25 pm

Yeah I'm getting real tired of new Batman stories trying to convince me that he sucks. He's been around for 80 years now, and I've seen/read plenty of great stories where he is awesome. You aren't going to convince me that Batman sucks, you are just annoying me now when I want to read good Batman comics.
1 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Thu May 09, 2019 8:53 pm

Grendle1853 wrote:
Yeah I'm getting real tired of new Batman stories trying to convince me that he sucks. He's been around for 80 years now, and I've seen/read plenty of great stories where he is awesome. You aren't going to convince me that Batman sucks, you are just annoying me now when I want to read good Batman comics.
Absolutely. At least King is almost off the book, just 29 more God awful issues to go. Here's hoping that whoever gets the title next can clean that mess up and do right by Bruce.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

ARB
Justice League

Fri May 10, 2019 2:30 am

The_GD_Patman wrote:
Absolutely. At least King is almost off the book, just 29 more God awful issues to go. Here's hoping that whoever gets the title next can clean that mess up and do right by Bruce.
There are actually 35 issues left in King's run, since he decided to stretch it out to a 105 issues because some issues were not written by him (Night of the Monster Men, the Button, the Price), so his run will be going all the way through 2020. I'm hoping for someone like Tom Taylor to take over after King.
0 x

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Fri May 10, 2019 5:40 am

The_GD_Patman wrote:
Grendle1853 wrote:
Like ARB said its gonna be 105 issues which means he will be on the book for a year and a half more....
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Sat May 11, 2019 6:02 pm

ARB wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:30 am
The_GD_Patman wrote:
There are actually 35 issues left in King's run, since he decided to stretch it out to a 105 issues because some issues were not written by him (Night of the Monster Men, the Button, the Price), so his run will be going all the way through 2020. I'm hoping for someone like Tom Taylor to take over after King.
Aww fuck. Was that always the plan or did this develope recently?

+1 on Tom Taylor though.
0 x
― Grant Morrison

ARB
Justice League

Sat May 11, 2019 7:19 pm

The_GD_Patman wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:02 pm
Aww fuck. Was that always the plan or did this develope recently?

+1 on Tom Taylor though.
Recent-ish. We've known about this since they announced the Price crossover a few months ago. Tom King has been adding issues to his run completely arbitrarily simply because some issues were written by others. Apparently his genius needs a complete 100 issues to be represented accurately, so ending up with only 95 issues was a no-no for Mr. King. The Price crossover came about because King couldn't be bothered to include it in the main HIC book, and he wanted to go do a tv project as well, so he foisted the crossover on Joshua Williamson and left. Then he had the audacity to add two more issues to his run to "make up" for the issues written by Williamson.

As things stand now, there's no way of knowing whether King's run will actually end with 105 issues, as any day now he could decide to go do something else and have someone else fill in, only to come back and add more issues on to his run to make up the difference. DC certainly isn't saying no to him, so what's stopping him at this point ?

Tom Taylor is a great writer, especially if given the freedom to do what he wants. I fear that if DC happens to hand him the book, they will force him to follow up on the stuff that Tom King did, as we all know the reason they gave King all the keys to the Batman IP was because they liked what he wanted to do with it. Tom Taylor, or any other writer with a sensible approach to Batman, will most likely be shackled down by editorial interference, as history has shown before.
0 x

ISAK
Titan

Sat May 11, 2019 7:34 pm

Since we're talking about Tom King and his Batman run i've to share this news with you guys:
TOP 10 COMIC BOOKS BY UNITS INVOICED
1. WAR OF THE REALMS #1 (MAR)
2. SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN #1 (MAR)
3. THE BATMAN WHO LAUGHS #4 (DC)
4. THE IMMORTAL HULK #16 (MAR)
5. BATMAN #69 (DC)
6. BATMAN #68 (DC)

7. THANOS #1 (MAR)
8. HEROES IN CRISIS #8 (DC)
9. WEB OF VENOM: CULT OF CARNAGE #1 (MAR)
10. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #20 (MAR)

TOP 10 COMIC BOOKS BY DOLLARS INVOICED
1. WAR OF THE REALMS #1 (MAR)
2. SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN #1 (MAR)
3. THE BATMAN WHO LAUGHS #4 (DC)
4. DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 (DC)
5. WEB OF VENOM: CULT OF CARNAGE #1 (MAR)
6. THANOS #1 (MAR)
7. THE IMMORTAL HULK #16 (MAR)
8. BATMAN #69 (DC)
9. BATMAN #68 (DC)

10. WAR OF THE REALMS #2 (MAR)
https://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/ ... eID=150972
It is a sorta of hollow victory, but i'm happy anyway. Not only because Ewing is a great writer who's doing really good work with THE IMMORTAL HULK comic, but because it has been a long time coming.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Sun May 12, 2019 1:06 am

Jeezus, Marvel is killing DC. Every day the conspiracy theory that King and Bendis were undercover agents for Marvel seems more plausible. Seriously though HULK is selling more than GOD DAMN BATMAN what a world we live in I wonder what are the exact sales figure. King probably dipped below 80k.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Sun May 12, 2019 3:32 am

It's hilarious to see Marvel schooling DC in sales when their own house is in shambles. For the past few years DC fans have been gloating about how much better DC was doing compared to Marvel, whenever anybody dared to criticize Rebirth. This is somewhat cathartic to see I'll admit. Glad to see good books improving (which the HULK book is apparently is), and garbage like King's Batman dipping down in sales. This is far too late to make an impact of course, but I'll take what I can get. Hopefully, this in addition to the s**tshow that Heroes in Crisis is will irrevocably damage King's career, so that he could return to the trash where he belongs.
1 x

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Sun May 12, 2019 5:59 am

Heroes in Crisis in top 10? The apocalypse is near. Are people really so blind to shit?
1 x