how popular was wonderbat before the JLAS

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
no avatar
Morgan banefort
Teen Titan

how popular was wonderbat before the JLAS

Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:41 am

what was it like being a wonderbat shipper during that time
Last edited by Morgan banefort on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

no avatar
Morgan banefort
Teen Titan

Re: how popular was wonderbat before the JLAS

Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:42 am

Morgan banefort wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:41 am
what was it like being a wonderbat shipper during that time
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:22 am

The height was probably during the DCAU. Thats when I got into it really. It was very evident in a lot of comics that Batman and Wonder Woman just naturally go well together. I feel like fans of Wonder Woman herself are more likely to pair her with Batman then Superman...unless they want to pair her with a woman.
2 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

Chaosmob
Site Admin
Justice League Membership: Plastic Man

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:21 am

Actually it's still going strong and seemed to get a few more people wanting it when Justice League (DCEU) happened. (The membership on the facebook page sure surged when it was at the theatres.) As for the women thing, I think that is a very small group of people. (But I could be wrong.)
0 x
Can I have one more day? Every one I have left. My life is yours.
League membership: Plastic Man

BatsGeek
Teen Titan

Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:33 pm

I watched some JL episodes but not all of them and don't remember Bruce and Diana being a thing when the series started airing on TV for the first time but I really got into the ship in the early 2010s. I just saw an eyebrow raising tweet from someone saying the DCAU isn't popular anymore....my eyebrow is still raised.
2 x

Ari
Sidekick Trainee

Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:12 pm

I don't think it was huge prior to the DCAU, where it only happened because fans began speculating there was something going on between them after the famous cheek kiss in 'The Brave and the Bold part 2' and the creators were like 'There's nothing going on between them.....but there could be' and decided to go in that direction. Justice League did begin airing shortly after the Obsidian Age in the comics where they kissed and died, got bought back to life, talked about it and decided not to do anything though.
1 x

Grendle1853
Justice League

Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:56 pm

Ari wrote:
I don't think it was huge prior to the DCAU, where it only happened because fans began speculating there was something going on between them after the famous cheek kiss in 'The Brave and the Bold part 2' and the creators were like 'There's nothing going on between them.....but there could be' and decided to go in that direction. Justice League did begin airing shortly after the Obsidian Age in the comics where they kissed and died, got bought back to life, talked about it and decided not to do anything though.
It wasn't even planned in the DCAU. They were originally going to pair Diana up with J'onn, but after a scene were Batman franticly digs to try and get her out from under a missal that had landed on her. A second later Wonder Woman lifts up the huge thing and tosses it aside, but she noticed the dirt on Batman's gloves, and she kisses him on the cheak. That was the start of it, though it was probably helped by the strong natural chemistry between Kevin Conroy and Susan Eisenberg. Also...the characters just sort of naturally click.
0 x

BruceDianaForever
Teen Titan

Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:43 am

Grendle1853 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:56 pm
Ari wrote:
It wasn't even planned in the DCAU. They were originally going to pair Diana up with J'onn, but after a scene were Batman franticly digs to try and get her out from under a missal that had landed on her. A second later Wonder Woman lifts up the huge thing and tosses it aside, but she noticed the dirt on Batman's gloves, and she kisses him on the cheak. That was the start of it, though it was probably helped by the strong natural chemistry between Kevin Conroy and Susan Eisenberg. Also...the characters just sort of naturally click.
No, they weren't J'onn was always like a big brother/father figure. The original plan was nothing as Dan Riba said in the watchtower database YouTube channel. It was just he pitched the idea and rest all happened. You can watch that video. Originally no relationship was going to happen except ofc clois from stas was already a thing. The only new pair was shayera and John. Rest no pairing was planned.
1 x

Chaosmob
Site Admin

Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:35 am

Yeah I seen that video also. It happened organically, lucky for us!!! :)
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League

Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:44 am

Huh, I thought I heard a commentary about it happening the way I wrote, but I guess I'm wrong.
0 x

BruceDianaForever
Teen Titan

Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:46 am

Chaosmob wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:35 am
Yeah I seen that video also. It happened organically, lucky for us!!! :)
Yup, right. Susan joined in the party afterwards Dan insisted. It was i think Bruce Timm himself who said that there should be a affectionate kiss. But later after he said this Dan said no no you're right there should be .. Dan was all giddy in that video 😂
1 x

Chaosmob
Site Admin

Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:59 pm

I KNOW!!!! :) God I love Wonderbat because of the tv series and now when ever I read them together in the comics. :)
0 x

Ari
Sidekick Trainee

Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:07 pm

Grendle1853 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:44 am
Huh, I thought I heard a commentary about it happening the way I wrote, but I guess I'm wrong.
I've got a DVD of the series, because way back in the dark ages you could only buy four episodes at a time, and there's definitely commentary of Bruce Timm saying they never intended for anything to happen between Bruce and Diana until the fan speculation began after 'The Brave and the Bold' and they decided to explore it.

buuuuuut the DVD's from 2007 so anything that's been said after that I can't attest to
1 x

Chaosmob
Site Admin

Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:29 pm

Sweet. But it sounded expensive also, 4 eps one a dvd!!!!
0 x