Bat-books Talk

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
User avatar
ISAK
Titan
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:35 pm
x 249

Re: Bat-books Talk

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 pm

May 2019 Comic Book Sales Report - Top 500+:
1. DCEASED #1 (DC) - 242,365 [1]
2. DOOMSDAY CLOCK #10 (DC) - 117,419 [3]
3. BATMAN LAST KNIGHT ON EARTH #1 (DC) - 113,287 [2]
4. SAVAGE AVENGERS #1 (MARVEL) - 111,736 [5]
5. BATMAN WHO LAUGHS #5 (DC) - 108,677 [4]
6. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #21 (MARVEL) - 92,538 [7]
7. IMMORTAL HULK #17 (MARVEL) - 87,444 [6]
8. BATMAN #70 (DC) - 83,518 [10]
9. BATMAN #71 (DC) - 82,704 [11]

10. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #22 (MARVEL) - 78,102 [14]
11. WAR OF REALMS #3 (MARVEL) - 77,664 [8]
12. HEROES IN CRISIS #9 (DC) - 77,582 [15]
13. IMMORTAL HULK #18 (MARVEL) - 75,983 [13]
14. WAR OF REALMS #4 (MARVEL) - 73,026 [9]
15. VENOM #14 (MARVEL) - 66,858 [16]
16. DETECTIVE COMICS #1003 (DC) - 65,709 [18]
17. WAR OF REALMS NEW AGENTS OF ATLAS #1 (MARVEL) - 64,990 [40]
18. DETECTIVE COMICS #1004 (DC) - 63,161 [19]
19. STAR WARS GALAXYS EDGE #1 [04/24/19] (MARVEL) - 60,415 [17]
20. JUSTICE LEAGUE #23 (DC) - 55,077 [22]
Source: https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomics ... 19-05.html
Analysis: https://blog.comichron.com/2019/06/may- ... eased.html
0 x

User avatar
ARB
Justice League
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:13 pm
x 483

Re: Bat-books Talk

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 pm

ISAK wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:13 pm
Oh, look who Tom King decided to bring back from the limbo in order to shit on for the sake of Catwoman and the Batcat ship. The Phantasm deserved better for her comic debut. Image
Woooooow, King really is THAT petty, ain't he ? I don't know how I can still be surprised by what King does, but this just goes beyond pettiness. I mean, this is not first, or even second time he does this, but this is getting beyond ridicules at this point. Why drag a fan favorite character into this, from an entirely different medium no less, just to crap on her ? I know that King, being the hack that he is, loves to invoke fan favorite ideas, or try and hide behind flimsy BTAS parallels to drive positive buzz, but I've always maintained that King is just a moron who does these things out of desperation. This however......this just feels awful and malicious.
wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 pm
May 2019 Comic Book Sales Report - Top 500+:
1. DCEASED #1 (DC) - 242,365 [1]
2. DOOMSDAY CLOCK #10 (DC) - 117,419 [3]
3. BATMAN LAST KNIGHT ON EARTH #1 (DC) - 113,287 [2]
4. SAVAGE AVENGERS #1 (MARVEL) - 111,736 [5]
5. BATMAN WHO LAUGHS #5 (DC) - 108,677 [4]
6. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #21 (MARVEL) - 92,538 [7]
7. IMMORTAL HULK #17 (MARVEL) - 87,444 [6]
8. BATMAN #70 (DC) - 83,518 [10]
9. BATMAN #71 (DC) - 82,704 [11]

10. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #22 (MARVEL) - 78,102 [14]
11. WAR OF REALMS #3 (MARVEL) - 77,664 [8]
12. HEROES IN CRISIS #9 (DC) - 77,582 [15]
13. IMMORTAL HULK #18 (MARVEL) - 75,983 [13]
14. WAR OF REALMS #4 (MARVEL) - 73,026 [9]
15. VENOM #14 (MARVEL) - 66,858 [16]
16. DETECTIVE COMICS #1003 (DC) - 65,709 [18]
17. WAR OF REALMS NEW AGENTS OF ATLAS #1 (MARVEL) - 64,990 [40]
18. DETECTIVE COMICS #1004 (DC) - 63,161 [19]
19. STAR WARS GALAXYS EDGE #1 [04/24/19] (MARVEL) - 60,415 [17]
20. JUSTICE LEAGUE #23 (DC) - 55,077 [22]
Source: https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomics ... 19-05.html
Analysis: https://blog.comichron.com/2019/06/may- ... eased.html
I'm genuinely sad it took this long for his run to tank. Had everyone been smarter, perhaps King would've been given the boot earlier, and no BatCat book to compensate. Now with the BatCat book, and the movie deal, he gets to spin his firing into him getting more opportunities, not that he's a hack who managed to tank DC's highest selling character. As much as I realize how King is merely a symptom of a much bigger problem in the comic book industry and comics fandom, I still want to see him go down hard for what he's done. Before he got fired off the book, King continued to set one dangerous precedence after the other, but thankfully that all came crashing down after he got booted off the book.

Funny how other creators like Snyder, Sharp, and Taylor continue to fight for King while also being the ones who helped expose his work for the garbage that it is with their own. Snyder's own Batman miniseries constantly outsell the main Batman book, and Marvel is getting in on the action with three different books outselling Batman as well, two of which are not even brand new #1. Good things happen slowly, so here's hoping for more embarrassments for King in the future. I'm still banking on/hoping that the BatCat book will be the final nail in his coffin, so that will be a fun show to watch.
1 x
Image

User avatar
BatsGeek
Young Justice
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:43 pm
x 11

Re: Bat-books Talk

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Now he's doing this? There's no way he doesn't know he's full of shit. NO way.
0 x
Image

User avatar
RadicalLogic
Teen Titan
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:52 am
x 38

Re: Bat-books Talk

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:24 pm

ISAK wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:13 pm
Oh, look who Tom King decided to bring back from the limbo in order to shit on for the sake of Catwoman and the Batcat ship. The Phantasm deserved better for her comic debut. Image
That's so weird, I thought Phantasm had already made her comic debut years ago. Probably thinking of the two Reapers that Batman fought and got them confused with her.
0 x
"Garlic deodorant. Jason says it wards off vampires up to ten feet away." - Black Canary

"I suspect it can ward off humans up to a hundred." - Batman

User avatar
ISAK
Titan
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:35 pm
x 249

Re: Bat-books Talk

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:36 pm

https://ew.com/books/2019/06/13/batm...omic-tom-king/
Bruce and Selina’s reunion arrives in the first issue of “City of Bane,” the epic final arc of King’s run on Batman. The previous 74 issues have set up Bane as the run’s primary antagonist, and now his master plan is all but complete. Bane has essentially conquered Gotham City, transforming it into a miniature fascist state and employing Batman’s villains as his personal army. He even has his own Batman in the form of Thomas Wayne (from an alternate universe where Bruce’s parents survived the mugging instead of him). Together, this villainous gang has successfully cast Bruce out of his own city. Broken, defeated, and exiled, Batman has no other option but to turn to Catwoman for help.
I know i shouldn't be surprised anymore, but still... Catwoman once again will be the big star and the only one capable of rescuing Batman and saving the day. Tom King has done something that even the most craziest of fanfic shippers would ever dream of.
0 x

User avatar
DaisyJane
Justice League
Posts: 6358
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy
Location: Los Angeles
x 239
Contact:

Re: Bat-books Talk

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Also Selina will not be at all jealous and of course seem like the far superior choice. The only female that she seemed a bit jealous is Diana. Tom can't nerf WW like the others and putting her working with BM where both are struggling and supporting each other made Catwoman not look as good (since she pretty much belittles Bruce every chance she gets). I think that is why he regrets those issues so much. It messes up his Selina is the best scenario.
0 x
FU DC

User avatar
ARB
Justice League
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:13 pm
x 483

Re: Bat-books Talk

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:34 pm

ISAK wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:36 pm
https://ew.com/books/2019/06/13/batm...omic-tom-king/
Bruce and Selina’s reunion arrives in the first issue of “City of Bane,” the epic final arc of King’s run on Batman. The previous 74 issues have set up Bane as the run’s primary antagonist, and now his master plan is all but complete. Bane has essentially conquered Gotham City, transforming it into a miniature fascist state and employing Batman’s villains as his personal army. He even has his own Batman in the form of Thomas Wayne (from an alternate universe where Bruce’s parents survived the mugging instead of him). Together, this villainous gang has successfully cast Bruce out of his own city. Broken, defeated, and exiled, Batman has no other option but to turn to Catwoman for help.
I know i shouldn't be surprised anymore, but still... Catwoman once again will be the big star and the only one capable of rescuing Batman and saving the day. Tom King has done something that even the most craziest of fanfic shippers would ever dream of.
Yeah, saw this, contemplated posting about here even, but ultimately decided against. What more can be said about King that hasn't been said already ? The guy is delusional. He's writing BatCat fanfic, endorsed by DC itself. Things are not turning around any time soon. Also, he's still on about that "changing Batman forever" bulls**t, so who knows what kind of stupidity his BatCat maxi will have.
DaisyJane wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:01 pm
Also Selina will not be at all jealous and of course seem like the far superior choice. The only female that she seemed a bit jealous is Diana. Tom can't nerf WW like the others and putting her working with BM where both are struggling and supporting each other made Catwoman not look as good (since she pretty much belittles Bruce every chance she gets). I think that is why he regrets those issues so much. It messes up his Selina is the best scenario.
That all goes without saying. King wants to ride the popularity of the DCAU and BTAS by picking a character from the most beloved BTAS movie, get the headlines talking about him introducing the Phantasm into the DC continuity, all while dishing a round of humiliation to one of Bruce's most beloved love interests from the DCAU. This is a 100% Tom King move. As you said, he's already went after both Talia and Diana, so he's merely moving to the next target on his hit list.

Talia, Diana, and Andrea were all DCAU characters who completely overshadowed Catwoman as love interests to Bruce, and that clearly never sat well with King. King is your typical vindictive and petty BatCat shipper that you can find on twitter or tumblr. I'm genuinely surprised he never touched Zatanna, seeing how his supposed DCAU fandom only resulted in him bringing different love interests from Bruce's life to humiliate them. I guess Zee thankfully was never as big as the other three, not in the DCAU at least, so thank god for that.
1 x
Image

User avatar
ISAK
Titan
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:35 pm
x 249

Re: Bat-books Talk

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:42 pm

From Bendis rewritting pretty much the entire far future of the DCU, Scott Lobdell writing Wally West post-HiC, and this... i just don't see how worse DC can get. There's not a single bit of good news.

Oh, and the recent issue of Wilson's WW had Diana turning her lassoo into a propeller to better slice monsters.
0 x

no avatar
devilman013
Innocent Bystander
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:42 pm

Re: Bat-books Talk

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:48 pm

ARB wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:34 pm
Also Selina will not be at all jealous and of course seem like the far superior choice. The only female that she seemed a bit jealous is Diana. Tom can't nerf WW like the others and putting her working with BM where both are struggling and supporting each other made Catwoman not look as good (since she pretty much belittles Bruce every chance she gets). I think that is why he regrets those issues so much. It messes up his Selina is the best scenario.
That all goes without saying. King wants to ride the popularity of the DCAU and BTAS by picking a character from the most beloved BTAS movie, get the headlines talking about him introducing the Phantasm into the DC continuity, all while dishing a round of humiliation to one of Bruce's most beloved love interests from the DCAU. This is a 100% Tom King move. As you said, he's already went after both Talia and Diana, so he's merely moving to the next target on his hit list.

Talia, Diana, and Andrea were all DCAU characters who completely overshadowed Catwoman as love interests to Bruce, and that clearly never sat well with King. King is your typical vindictive and petty BatCat shipper that you can find on twitter or tumblr. I'm genuinely surprised he never touched Zatanna, seeing how his supposed DCAU fandom only resulted in him bringing different love interests from Bruce's life to humiliate them. I guess Zee thankfully was never as big as the other three, not in the DCAU at least, so thank god for that.
[/quote]

He might've simply forgotten she existed, thankfully. Either that, or he's planning on getting to her eventually.
0 x

User avatar
BatsGeek
Young Justice
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:43 pm
x 11

Re: Bat-books Talk

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:46 pm

People are definitely going to buy this shit now since he's using a beloved character. Slimy ass business move. The sooner this dude gets hit by a car, the better.
0 x
Image

User avatar
ThatOneGuy
Justice League
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:45 pm
x 270

Re: Bat-books Talk

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:16 pm

What a time to be alive. King is just something else dude is the gift that keeps on giving. When the dust settles I want to see how all this will be remembered. BtW the reason King hasn't belittled Zatanna is that he doesn't see her as enough of a threat.
DC has hit rock bottom and Marvel is recovering the pendulum have swung. I hope DC recovers soon but I think we will be in for another year or two before that happens.
0 x

User avatar
ARB
Justice League
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:13 pm
x 483

Re: Bat-books Talk

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Remember how awful we used to believe the New 52 to be ? Seems so long ago now. I can't believe that I used to say that anything would be better than the New 52, and now look what Rebirth has done to DC. The New 52 made me drop comics all together, and yet I'm still here watching DC slowly kill my favorite comic book character of all time.

The fact that King is garbage is not the worst thing about all of this. It's the fact that there are many people who actually like and defend his work that drive me crazy. I have no doubt that his work will not be remembered once he's out, but the fact that the comic book industry and fandom have deteriorated so much that a hack like King could keep on finding work, is just so disheartening.

I don't think what King's been doing has anything to do with him trying to destroy potential threats to BatCat. Him going after Talia and Diana could point to that being his motivation, but why then would he drag Andrea of all characters into canon just to pit her against Catwoman ? No, that's far more petty than attempting to declaw rival ships. This is just King going on a vindictive and resentful quest to take down the characters who dared oppose his precious Cat.

Early on in his run, King stated how much he loved the DCAU, and I believe him. The DCAU is a huge headache for the BatCats, on one hand it's the undisputed best adaptation of the DCU, with BTAS in particular being considered legendary, so they can't discount it easily. On the other hand, the DCAU not only never bowed down to BatCat, but it introduced many rivaling ships that are still popular today because of it. You'll see a lot of BatCats swinging between praising the DCAU to hating on it whenever ships are mentioned.

King is just a petty BatCat shipper who wants to "fix" the problems that the DCAU introduced, and show people how Batman is done. Plain and simple. Him sparing Zee is most likely because the DCAU merely glossed over her relationship to Bruce,. Beside who knows ? King might've eventually gotten to her had he been allowed to continue his run. Whatever the reason was, I'm glad at least Zee will most likely be safe from him.
0 x
Image

User avatar
ISAK
Titan
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:35 pm
x 249

Re: Bat-books Talk

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Image
This dude, man. This fucking dude.
0 x

User avatar
ARB
Justice League
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:13 pm
x 483

Re: Bat-books Talk

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:19 pm

ISAK wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:07 pm
Image
This dude, man. This fucking dude.
LOL. King be like
Image
I'm genuinely starting to enjoy how totally bonkers King is. It's like watching someone dancing butt naked wearing clown face. It's kind of morbid in a way. Too bad the fact that there are many people who actually encourage him takes away from how laughable the whole situation is. But man, how is he not embarrassed by this ? I genuinely want to know what he thinks he is doing here. Amazing how everybody chooses to let this clown continue to do whatever he wanted.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Grendle1853
Justice League
Posts: 7607
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter
Location: Harrisburg
x 76

Re: Bat-books Talk

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:44 pm

Well at least one of us is having a good time with this.
0 x
Image
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

no avatar
MrBlue1594
Sidekick Trainee
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:13 am
x 5

Re: Bat-books Talk

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 am

Why do you guys think it’s popular to shit on Bruce nowadays? I see it a lot on twitter and other sites recently, and I find it rather irksome.
0 x
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens- J.R.R. Tolkien

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die- Roy Batty

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests