Bat-books Talk

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
BatsGeek
Young Justice

Re: Bat-books Talk

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:48 pm

This seems pretty interesting yoooo. Hyped about the next issue. Anyone else?
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:14 am

Why does he look 12?
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

BatsGeek
Young Justice

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:23 am

Heh. He's supposed to be young in this. Def not 12 tho.
0 x

no avatar
The_Hopeless_Shipper
Sidekick Trainee

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:37 pm

Not wonderbat related but.....Tom King has been fired from the writing Batman.
0 x

Bickerton
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Robin [Damian Wayne]

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:48 pm

BatsGeek wrote:
Isn't this a novel?
0 x
Grant Morrison’s “bat god” is nothing more than the Adam West Batman modernize
LM: Damian(Robin)Wayne

Bickerton
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Robin [Damian Wayne]

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:50 pm

James Tynion IV is the new batman writer. safe choice But i like it He cant be as bad the current batman writer.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/21 ... iter-2020/
0 x
Grant Morrison’s “bat god” is nothing more than the Adam West Batman modernize
LM: Damian(Robin)Wayne

BatsGeek
Young Justice

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:42 am

Bickerton wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:48 pm
BatsGeek wrote:
Isn't this a novel?
Yeah, it is. Just in comic book form now. I never read the novel myself.
0 x

no avatar
MrBlue1594
Sidekick Trainee

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:00 am

Really wish it was Tom Taylor, but Tynion can’t be any worse than King.
0 x
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens- J.R.R. Tolkien

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die- Roy Batty

ARB
Justice League

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:01 am

So let's see here.....Last Knight on Earth is most likely a dud as far as our chances of getting a Catwoman-free Batman book with some WW sprinkled in (as I had hoped it would be).

Tom King has reduced the main Batman title into a teenager-grade fanfic, at least more than it already was, with the latest two issues pretty much ignoring everything that's happening in the story to deliver two issues of Bruce and Selina having sex and doing yoga on a vacation island. In King's own words, these two issues are the "crown jewel" of his run. Not any of the issues where he actually focuses on the story and the main conflict he set up and continues to fail at writing, but the two issues where he essentially got his horny soft-core fanfic actually published by DC, and in the main Batman title no less. How anyone could take this clown seriously as a writer is beyond me. He literally doesn't care about his own story. I wonder why DC didn't just give this hack a 6 issues mini series where he could get his fanfic drawn and spared us all this nightmare.

James Tynion the Fourth (having a number beside your name is pretty rad I admit) is set to take over writing duties for the main Batman book after King's disgraceful exit. Tynion was rumored to be the next writer for a while before the announcement was made to no one's surprise. I'm genuinely starting to dislike Snyder's influence on the Batman books, as once again one of his stooges has took control of a Batman book. Tynion is not an exciting choice to say the least. He's already written Detective Comics and that didn't turn out good. He can't be anywhere near as bad as King, but after the painful tenure under King, we really needed something better. It's not all bad though, according to Tynion's twitter, he's planning this run to be focused on Bruce Wayne with very little Batfamily involved, and to be leaning towards horror themes, and maybe even spot light some of Gotham's more "monstrous" aspects. That all sounds great. However, he's also said that Catwoman will be a major player. and that the status quo of his run will be set by King's Bat/Cat miniseries. So there's that.

It seemed DC couldn't let go of King's garbage after all. They took him off the book because it was tanking, but they still gave him a mini that will ultimately decide the status quo for the character for the foreseeable future. So while things are bound to improve a little, it will probably be a few more years before the stench of King is completely washed off Batman's character. And there are still these rumors of Bruce getting replaced by Luke Fox as Batman, and with Tynion involved, who knows for how long these will simply remain rumors ?
0 x

no avatar
Lurker nomore
Teen Titan

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:36 am

They just really kill off bruce wayne for the next couple of years until this bat/cat crap is forgotten. Give him a good death in the regular universe and only revive him for a major event I rather have good memories of him. So replace him with luke fox or whovever but give him a good death like they did barry allen. I rather see him dead in honor than disgraced by having is character destroyed by tom kings run.
0 x

BatsGeek
Young Justice

Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:43 am

No, Tynion really isn't the best. If Catwoman is gonna be in ANY Batman run especially after what's been going on then it won't be on my pull list.
0 x

ISAK
Titan

Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Tom King said on Twitter that his BATMAN/CATWOMAN book will treat the animated movie MASK OF THE PHANTASM as canon to the main comic books, changing a few key thing here and there involving the joker, and that Andrea Belmont/Phantasm will be a major antagonist in the book.

This tell me a few things.
That Tom King's such a lazy hack that he won't even develop the comic version of the Phantasm, he'll just treat the DCAU animated movie as canon and go from there. This doesn't even make any sense, because MASK OF THE PHANTASM doesn't fit either Frank Miller's YEAR ONE or Scott Snyder's ZERO YEAR. But King doesn't care about continuity or consistency as he has shown several times throughout his BATMAN run.
That Tom King, like we've talked about many times throughout this thread, only really care about the DCAU cartoons, which might be the only thing Batman related he truly knows, and that he's a major butthurt Batcat shipper. He's literally slashing out against all the Batman's love interests from the DCAU. He must hate that Catwoman was overshadowed by every other character in the DCAU cartoons, both as a character or as a love interest for Batman.
That the Andrea/Phantasm will suffer under King out of pure spite from him. He'll do with Andrea what he did to Talia al Ghul and Wonder Woman. Just shit on them as characters and love interest for Batman.

Either way, given all the news i'll try to stay clear from the Batman comics. I'll at most read whatever minis and one-shots non connected to the main comics. Here's to another year of terrible Batman comics ahead.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:45 am

I said it from the moment it was announced that the Phantasm was going to be the villain of King's BatCat, that it was just another hatchet job by King to shit on another one of Bruce's DCAU love interest. It's no coincidence that Talia, Diana, and now Andrea are all love interests who overshadowed Catwoman in the DCAU, which seems like the only real experience King has with the Batman universe prior to writing the character. I'm surprised he left Zatanna alone, even though her relationship with Bruce was referenced as recently as Tynion's run on Tec. I would've imagined her being a prime target for King, as she's another love interest who showed up prominently in the DCAU.

I call bullshit on the Phantasm being Mann's idea, and King considering the movie canon to his story further prove that this was his intent all along. Nah it's not laziness, it's just extreme pettiness and a pathetic attempt to besmirch something that everyone love. The DCAU remains one of the most popular depictions of Batman in modern time, and it drives the BatCats insane that it barely featured Catwoman having a relationship with Bruce. Now that one of those insane BatCats is writing the actual Batman book, they're intent on destroying everything that the DCAU has built just to prop up Catwoman as the "iconic" love interest for Batman. It's nothing deeper than that.

I'm still confident that 2020 will be a better year than everything we've been getting since Rebirth launched back in 2016. I'm only worried about the new status quo that King will set for Bruce in his BatCat book. Considering that King teased something regarding Helena Wayne recently, I'm quite worried.
1 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:30 am

I don't think Tom King has any experience with Batman, as he's completely failed at his characterization of most of the characters he's written. No one who was familiar with the DCAU would write Poison Ivy like that.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

BatsGeek
Young Justice

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:06 pm

I can't believe they're letting one of the biggest fucking hacks of our time touch someone from DC's animated universe. It's unreal. There's no way this will sell. Selina will never, ever overshadow Diana as a love interest for him. He thinks he's doing exactly that, but really, it's the COMPLETE opposite. There's not much you can do when the whole character involves taking things from others. Just...what other big thing can you do with a character like this?

Batman is too big a character. She's a loser and that's brutally obvious, but DC keeps trying to tell us otherwise and they'll keep failing.
0 x

RadicalLogic
Teen Titan

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:13 pm

So, Tynion confirmed that he'll be continuing the Bat/Cat relationship after he takes over. It might not be as bad as King but you can bet he'll be hamstrung by King's crap and it will be only slightly less bad than before.

Damn it, I really wanted Priest to take over.
0 x
"Garlic deodorant. Jason says it wards off vampires up to ten feet away." - Black Canary

"I suspect it can ward off humans up to a hundred." - Batman

ARB
Justice League

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:58 am

Tynion couldn't be as bad as King even if he tried. Also, judging by what I've been hearing of the events transpiring in the Catwoman solo, it's gonna be interesting to see how DC maintain's BatCat in the next year. Of course they could always ignore everything else about Catwoman's character, and have Bruce continue to act like he's been lobotomized to continue with their farce, basically they way they've always done it, so it could all mean nothing in the end.

On another note, if you're not reading Tomasi's Tec, do your self a favour and go pick it up. Also give Bendis' Batman Universe a try, I hear it's good.
0 x