Bat-books Talk

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
User avatar
BatsGeek
Teen Titan
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:43 pm
x 30

Re: Bat-books Talk

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:48 pm

This seems pretty interesting yoooo. Hyped about the next issue. Anyone else?
Image
0 x
Image

User avatar
Grendle1853
Justice League
Posts: 7737
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter
Location: Harrisburg
x 89

Re: Bat-books Talk

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:14 am

Why does he look 12?
0 x
Image
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

User avatar
BatsGeek
Teen Titan
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:43 pm
x 30

Re: Bat-books Talk

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:23 am

Heh. He's supposed to be young in this. Def not 12 tho.
0 x
Image

no avatar
The_Hopeless_Shipper
Sidekick Trainee
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:01 am
x 1

Re: Bat-books Talk

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:37 pm

Not wonderbat related but.....Tom King has been fired from the writing Batman.
0 x

User avatar
Bickerton
Justice League
Posts: 5403
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:43 pm
Justice League Membership: Robin [Damian Wayne]
Location: Southern California
x 23

Re: Bat-books Talk

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:48 pm

BatsGeek wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:48 pm
This seems pretty interesting yoooo. Hyped about the next issue. Anyone else?
Image
Isn't this a novel?
0 x
Grant Morrison’s “bat god” is nothing more than the Adam West Batman modernize
LM: Damian(Robin)Wayne

User avatar
Bickerton
Justice League
Posts: 5403
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:43 pm
Justice League Membership: Robin [Damian Wayne]
Location: Southern California
x 23

Re: Bat-books Talk

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:50 pm

James Tynion IV is the new batman writer. safe choice But i like it He cant be as bad the current batman writer.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/21 ... iter-2020/
0 x
Grant Morrison’s “bat god” is nothing more than the Adam West Batman modernize
LM: Damian(Robin)Wayne

User avatar
BatsGeek
Teen Titan
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:43 pm
x 30

Re: Bat-books Talk

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:42 am

Bickerton wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:48 pm
BatsGeek wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:48 pm
This seems pretty interesting yoooo. Hyped about the next issue. Anyone else?
Image
Isn't this a novel?
Yeah, it is. Just in comic book form now. I never read the novel myself.
0 x
Image

no avatar
MrBlue1594
Young Justice
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:13 am
x 6

Re: Bat-books Talk

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:00 am

Really wish it was Tom Taylor, but Tynion can’t be any worse than King.
0 x
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens- J.R.R. Tolkien

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die- Roy Batty

User avatar
ARB
Justice League
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:13 pm
x 515

Re: Bat-books Talk

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:01 am

So let's see here.....Last Knight on Earth is most likely a dud as far as our chances of getting a Catwoman-free Batman book with some WW sprinkled in (as I had hoped it would be).

Tom King has reduced the main Batman title into a teenager-grade fanfic, at least more than it already was, with the latest two issues pretty much ignoring everything that's happening in the story to deliver two issues of Bruce and Selina having sex and doing yoga on a vacation island. In King's own words, these two issues are the "crown jewel" of his run. Not any of the issues where he actually focuses on the story and the main conflict he set up and continues to fail at writing, but the two issues where he essentially got his horny soft-core fanfic actually published by DC, and in the main Batman title no less. How anyone could take this clown seriously as a writer is beyond me. He literally doesn't care about his own story. I wonder why DC didn't just give this hack a 6 issues mini series where he could get his fanfic drawn and spared us all this nightmare.

James Tynion the Fourth (having a number beside your name is pretty rad I admit) is set to take over writing duties for the main Batman book after King's disgraceful exit. Tynion was rumored to be the next writer for a while before the announcement was made to no one's surprise. I'm genuinely starting to dislike Snyder's influence on the Batman books, as once again one of his stooges has took control of a Batman book. Tynion is not an exciting choice to say the least. He's already written Detective Comics and that didn't turn out good. He can't be anywhere near as bad as King, but after the painful tenure under King, we really needed something better. It's not all bad though, according to Tynion's twitter, he's planning this run to be focused on Bruce Wayne with very little Batfamily involved, and to be leaning towards horror themes, and maybe even spot light some of Gotham's more "monstrous" aspects. That all sounds great. However, he's also said that Catwoman will be a major player. and that the status quo of his run will be set by King's Bat/Cat miniseries. So there's that.

It seemed DC couldn't let go of King's garbage after all. They took him off the book because it was tanking, but they still gave him a mini that will ultimately decide the status quo for the character for the foreseeable future. So while things are bound to improve a little, it will probably be a few more years before the stench of King is completely washed off Batman's character. And there are still these rumors of Bruce getting replaced by Luke Fox as Batman, and with Tynion involved, who knows for how long these will simply remain rumors ?
0 x
Image

no avatar
Lurker nomore
Teen Titan
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:50 am
x 71

Re: Bat-books Talk

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:36 am

They just really kill off bruce wayne for the next couple of years until this bat/cat crap is forgotten. Give him a good death in the regular universe and only revive him for a major event I rather have good memories of him. So replace him with luke fox or whovever but give him a good death like they did barry allen. I rather see him dead in honor than disgraced by having is character destroyed by tom kings run.
0 x

User avatar
BatsGeek
Teen Titan
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:43 pm
x 30

Re: Bat-books Talk

Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:43 am

No, Tynion really isn't the best. If Catwoman is gonna be in ANY Batman run especially after what's been going on then it won't be on my pull list.
0 x
Image

User avatar
ISAK
Titan
Posts: 916
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:35 pm
x 268

Re: Bat-books Talk

Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Tom King said on Twitter that his BATMAN/CATWOMAN book will treat the animated movie MASK OF THE PHANTASM as canon to the main comic books, changing a few key thing here and there involving the joker, and that Andrea Belmont/Phantasm will be a major antagonist in the book.

This tell me a few things.
That Tom King's such a lazy hack that he won't even develop the comic version of the Phantasm, he'll just treat the DCAU animated movie as canon and go from there. This doesn't even make any sense, because MASK OF THE PHANTASM doesn't fit either Frank Miller's YEAR ONE or Scott Snyder's ZERO YEAR. But King doesn't care about continuity or consistency as he has shown several times throughout his BATMAN run.
That Tom King, like we've talked about many times throughout this thread, only really care about the DCAU cartoons, which might be the only thing Batman related he truly knows, and that he's a major butthurt Batcat shipper. He's literally slashing out against all the Batman's love interests from the DCAU. He must hate that Catwoman was overshadowed by every other character in the DCAU cartoons, both as a character or as a love interest for Batman.
That the Andrea/Phantasm will suffer under King out of pure spite from him. He'll do with Andrea what he did to Talia al Ghul and Wonder Woman. Just shit on them as characters and love interest for Batman.

Either way, given all the news i'll try to stay clear from the Batman comics. I'll at most read whatever minis and one-shots non connected to the main comics. Here's to another year of terrible Batman comics ahead.
0 x

User avatar
ARB
Justice League
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:13 pm
x 515

Re: Bat-books Talk

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:45 am

I said it from the moment it was announced that the Phantasm was going to be the villain of King's BatCat, that it was just another hatchet job by King to shit on another one of Bruce's DCAU love interest. It's no coincidence that Talia, Diana, and now Andrea are all love interests who overshadowed Catwoman in the DCAU, which seems like the only real experience King has with the Batman universe prior to writing the character. I'm surprised he left Zatanna alone, even though her relationship with Bruce was referenced as recently as Tynion's run on Tec. I would've imagined her being a prime target for King, as she's another love interest who showed up prominently in the DCAU.

I call bullshit on the Phantasm being Mann's idea, and King considering the movie canon to his story further prove that this was his intent all along. Nah it's not laziness, it's just extreme pettiness and a pathetic attempt to besmirch something that everyone love. The DCAU remains one of the most popular depictions of Batman in modern time, and it drives the BatCats insane that it barely featured Catwoman having a relationship with Bruce. Now that one of those insane BatCats is writing the actual Batman book, they're intent on destroying everything that the DCAU has built just to prop up Catwoman as the "iconic" love interest for Batman. It's nothing deeper than that.

I'm still confident that 2020 will be a better year than everything we've been getting since Rebirth launched back in 2016. I'm only worried about the new status quo that King will set for Bruce in his BatCat book. Considering that King teased something regarding Helena Wayne recently, I'm quite worried.
1 x
Image

User avatar
Grendle1853
Justice League
Posts: 7737
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter
Location: Harrisburg
x 89

Re: Bat-books Talk

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:30 am

I don't think Tom King has any experience with Batman, as he's completely failed at his characterization of most of the characters he's written. No one who was familiar with the DCAU would write Poison Ivy like that.
0 x
Image
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

User avatar
BatsGeek
Teen Titan
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:43 pm
x 30

Re: Bat-books Talk

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:06 pm

I can't believe they're letting one of the biggest fucking hacks of our time touch someone from DC's animated universe. It's unreal. There's no way this will sell. Selina will never, ever overshadow Diana as a love interest for him. He thinks he's doing exactly that, but really, it's the COMPLETE opposite. There's not much you can do when the whole character involves taking things from others. Just...what other big thing can you do with a character like this?

Batman is too big a character. She's a loser and that's brutally obvious, but DC keeps trying to tell us otherwise and they'll keep failing.
0 x
Image

User avatar
RadicalLogic
Teen Titan
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:52 am
x 41

Re: Bat-books Talk

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:13 pm

So, Tynion confirmed that he'll be continuing the Bat/Cat relationship after he takes over. It might not be as bad as King but you can bet he'll be hamstrung by King's crap and it will be only slightly less bad than before.

Damn it, I really wanted Priest to take over.
0 x
"Garlic deodorant. Jason says it wards off vampires up to ten feet away." - Black Canary

"I suspect it can ward off humans up to a hundred." - Batman

User avatar
ARB
Justice League
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:13 pm
x 515

Re: Bat-books Talk

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:58 am

Tynion couldn't be as bad as King even if he tried. Also, judging by what I've been hearing of the events transpiring in the Catwoman solo, it's gonna be interesting to see how DC maintain's BatCat in the next year. Of course they could always ignore everything else about Catwoman's character, and have Bruce continue to act like he's been lobotomized to continue with their farce, basically they way they've always done it, so it could all mean nothing in the end.

On another note, if you're not reading Tomasi's Tec, do your self a favour and go pick it up. Also give Bendis' Batman Universe a try, I hear it's good.
0 x
Image

User avatar
ARB
Justice League
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:13 pm
x 515

Re: Bat-books Talk

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:23 pm

Image

I've read Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Batman - Knightfall (quite the title), and hoo boy that was quite a read indeed. I know a lot of Batman fans are allergic to Batman doing anything interesting or outlandish, but luckily I'm not one of those fans, and so I enjoyed this book a lot. I've enjoyed this book so much in fact (alongside Curse of the White Knight), that it helped reignite my long buried fondness for Jean-Paul Valley.

Here is the part where I feel conflicted about discussing the book in details, because it doesn't make sense for me to spoil the book considering I'm trying to have you guys go out and pick it up. Needless to say, this book is very similar to the Dark Knights one-shots from Metal that explored the backstories of the evil Dark Knights, so a twist ending is to be expected here. It's worth mentioning that this story defied by expectations, as I was convinced (and quite annoyed) that this was going to be another Elseworlds story where the first thing they do is to throw Bruce in the trash rather than do something interesting with him, but I'm glad to have been proven wrong.

Image

Tom King's Batman #81 was even a bigger joke than usual. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when watching a review channel recapping the events of the book. People sill don't care and are still buying this garbage because of Bat....Cat BS. I'm so glad to see that many people are not only getting sick of Tom King, but also of Catwoman. Time for people to start to feel the pain I've been feeling for the last 15 years or so. At this point I've completely detached from the Batman book, as I no longer feel care what happens to the main Batman book. The Batman I want to read is very unlikely to show up any time soon, so DC might as well destroy itself for all I care. Not to mention that 5G plan of their that will see Batman locked away, most likely with Catwoman, to make way for Luke Fox to take over the Batman mantle. So here's hoping DC burns itself to ashes in the next couple of years. God knows they deserve it.

Image

Batman/Superman #3 was very entertaining. I know people are sick of the Batman Who Laughs, but I'm not. It's so fun to see A Batman who's free to act out as outlandishly as he wants. I'm far too sick of seeing Bruce shackled down and restrained by editorials just because they're afraid of letting the character have fun. BHL's feud with Lex is very interesting, as it essentially Apex Lex vs Apex Bruce, and that's both thematically and narratively appropriate. I personally find it hilarious that people kept asking why was is always Superman who turned evil instead of Batman, and now they're whining about an irredeemable Batman being in the actual DC canon rather than an Elseworlds. In any case, this book didn't start very strong, but I think it's just hitting its stride this issue. Williamson's dialogue is not always the most authentic feeling, but it's competent all around, and the book is gorgeous to look at thanks to Marquez's art.

Image

Curse of the White Knight continues to be great. I liked the first series, but I think I'm liking this one even more (ThatOneGuy is probably shuddering, wherever he might be). Murphy is really putting Bruce through the wringer, and the whole "Batman sucks" idea from the first series has been toned down considerably. This is another book featuring Jean-Paul Valley, and it's delving into the history of the Wayne family, a subject that I've always thought was severely neglected by DC. I'm honestly excited to see how this so called "Murphyverse" will continue to evolve, as he seems to have a carte blanche from DC to do whatever, which is exactly what Batman needs. Aside from Murphy's attempt at taking a "realistic" approach to Batman, which he toned down in COTWH, I pretty much like what he has to say about the character, so here's hoping he doesn't jump the shark any time soon.
1 x
Image

User avatar
The_GD_Patman
Titan
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:01 pm
Location: Michigan
x 41

Re: Bat-books Talk

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:19 pm

ARB wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:23 pm
Image

I've read Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Batman - Knightfall (quite the title), and hoo boy that was quite a read indeed. I know a lot of Batman fans are allergic to Batman doing anything interesting or outlandish, but luckily I'm not one of those fans, and so I enjoyed this book a lot. I've enjoyed this book so much in fact (alongside Curse of the White Knight), that it helped reignite my long buried fondness for Jean-Paul Valley.

Here is the part where I feel conflicted about discussing the book in details, because it doesn't make sense for me to spoil the book considering I'm trying to have you guys go out and pick it up. Needless to say, this book is very similar to the Dark Knights one-shots from Metal that explored the backstories of the evil Dark Knights, so a twist ending is to be expected here. It's worth mentioning that this story defied by expectations, as I was convinced (and quite annoyed) that this was going to be another Elseworlds story where the first thing they do is to throw Bruce in the trash rather than do something interesting with him, but I'm glad to have been proven wrong.

Image

Tom King's Batman #81 was even a bigger joke than usual. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when watching a review channel recapping the events of the book. People sill don't care and are still buying this garbage because of Bat....Cat BS. I'm so glad to see that many people are not only getting sick of Tom King, but also of Catwoman. Time for people to start to feel the pain I've been feeling for the last 15 years or so. At this point I've completely detached from the Batman book, as I no longer feel care what happens to the main Batman book. The Batman I want to read is very unlikely to show up any time soon, so DC might as well destroy itself for all I care. Not to mention that 5G plan of their that will see Batman locked away, most likely with Catwoman, to make way for Luke Fox to take over the Batman mantle. So here's hoping DC burns itself to ashes in the next couple of years. God knows they deserve it.

Image

Batman/Superman #3 was very entertaining. I know people are sick of the Batman Who Laughs, but I'm not. It's so fun to see A Batman who's free to act out as outlandishly as he wants. I'm far too sick of seeing Bruce shackled down and restrained by editorials just because they're afraid of letting the character have fun. BHL's feud with Lex is very interesting, as it essentially Apex Lex vs Apex Bruce, and that's both thematically and narratively appropriate. I personally find it hilarious that people kept asking why was is always Superman who turned evil instead of Batman, and now they're whining about an irredeemable Batman being in the actual DC canon rather than an Elseworlds. In any case, this book didn't start very strong, but I think it's just hitting its stride this issue. Williamson's dialogue is not always the most authentic feeling, but it's competent all around, and the book is gorgeous to look at thanks to Marquez's art.

Image

Curse of the White Knight continues to be great. I liked the first series, but I think I'm liking this one even more (ThatOneGuy is probably shuddering, wherever he might be). Murphy is really putting Bruce through the wringer, and the whole "Batman sucks" idea from the first series has been toned down considerably. This is another book featuring Jean-Paul Valley, and it's delving into the history of the Wayne family, a subject that I've always thought was severely neglected by DC. I'm honestly excited to see how this so called "Murphyverse" will continue to evolve, as he seems to have a carte blanche from DC to do whatever, which is exactly what Batman needs. Aside from Murphy's attempt at taking a "realistic" approach to Batman, which he toned down in COTWH, I pretty much like what he has to say about the character, so here's hoping he doesn't jump the shark any time soon.
Based on your review, I think I'll give that Tales of the Dark Multiverse book a read. I find the concept interesting, as I have a fanfic going on that is set in a pocket dimension of the Dark Multiverse. The whole setting is so chaotic, you can almost do anything with it. Lol.

I have to say, I'm having trouble with Batman/Superman. The characterization is very fundamental, as is the dialogue. It comes off very rushed and compressed every time Bruce and Clark interact. But at least this book features internal monologue and self reflection. But surely the action and set pieces are the saving grace of the whole affair.

As for the Bat solo book, I'm honestly numb to all this now. I'm kind just waiting for King to finally fuck off to Hollywood and ruin Jack Kirby's magnum opus and leave Batman to individuals with a more vested interest in Bruce.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

User avatar
ARB
Justice League
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:13 pm
x 515

Re: Bat-books Talk

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:38 pm

My intent was to give my impressions rather than giving a full blown review of these books. If you enjoyed the Dark Knights one-shots, or just enjoy the concept of "What...if?" stories in general, Tales of the Dark Multiverse should be right up your alley. It's both well written and well illustrated, so unless you take issue with the premise itself (I know a surprising amount of people do), you should enjoy reading the book. I'm hoping the rest of this line ends up being as good as its first outing. Next up is the Death of Superman one.

I can totally understand that. The dialogue hasn't been the strongest in Batman/Superman, and it annoys me because I think Williamson can do better. I thought issue #3 was fine more so because of how the story is shaping up to be rather than the actual writing. The fact that the book is a feast for the eyes also helps a lot in making it easier to read. I'm hoping Williamson improves his dialogue in the coming issues, and that the story maintains its forward momentum to keep me interested.

What pains me is that we still have that Bat/Cat book to live through before King's is off Batman for good. According to King himself ""the rest of the run leading up to 100 was going to be 'Batman loves Catwoman' and just exploring that relationship."" So strap in folks this is not going to be an easy one.
1 x
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests