Robert Pattinson is cast as Batman

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Robert Pattinson is cast as Batman

Fri May 17, 2019 11:36 am

Well...this should be interesting. Batman doesn't come to my mind when I think about the guy, but I seen unusual casting work for the character before, so I'm not ready to freak out over this yet. I am really keen to see some footage of him in the role though.
1 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Re: Robert Pattinson is cast as Batman

Fri May 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Grendle1853 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:36 am
Well...this should be interesting. Batman doesn't come to my mind when I think about the guy, but I seen unusual casting work for the character before, so I'm not ready to freak out over this yet. I am really keen to see some footage of him in the role though.

Agreed. I've been patently wrong most of the time when it comes to superhero casting choices, so I'm not going to say anything until the movie is out. Lol.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Fri May 17, 2019 3:36 pm

He is a good actor, just needs to buff up a lot.
0 x

no avatar
MrBlue1594
Sidekick Trainee

Fri May 17, 2019 10:43 pm

Film Twitter loves him because of all the indie films he’s done in recent years.
0 x
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens- J.R.R. Tolkien

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die- Roy Batty

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:15 am

We have Catwoman:

0 x
FU DC

Grendle1853
Justice League

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:05 pm

Not a bad choice for Catwoman. Any news yet on who the villain of the movie will be, because Catwoman has been shown to be more of a supporting/love interest character in recent years.
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:39 pm

Jonah Hill has been cast to be a villain but they aren't saying who.
0 x
FU DC

Grendle1853
Justice League

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:49 pm

DaisyJane wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:39 pm
Jonah Hill has been cast to be a villain but they aren't saying who.
Okay, now I'm worried about the casting in this movie.
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League

Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:01 pm

If you watch the video he talk about the casting of Jonah Hill. Zoe at least looks the part of Selina, whether or not she has chemistry with Robert Pattinson remains to be seen.
0 x
FU DC

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:05 pm

I hope that image of PAtinson as Batman is photoshopped, because if he has that hairdo in the movie, I'm not going to be able to take him at all seriously, no matter how good the script or his acting.

In that one black-and-white shot, I admit, Zoe does kind of give me a Selina vibe, but all other google images of her don't really.
0 x

ISAK
Titan

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:45 pm

Jonah Hill will be obviously Penguin. Either way i've no faith on this movie.
0 x

DaisyJane
Justice League

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:30 am

They cast the Riddler:

0 x
FU DC

ARB
Justice League

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:31 pm

Might as well post this since nobody has done so yet. Jonah Hill is no longer in talks to be in The Batman. Seems like Reeves wanted him for the Penguin role, but Jonah wanted to play the Riddler. Also, there are mentions of Jonah asking for too much pay, which ultimately led to him exiting negotiations.

Link: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/jona ... 203373471/

Seth Rogen of all people was apparently also considered for the role of Penguin, which would've been hilarious in my opinion.

Zoë Kravitz as Catwoman is.....a fine casting. I'm more worried about how big a role Catwoman will play in these movies to be honest. The fact that there are two larger villains in the movie aside from her could mean that her role won't be too large, but the fact that she's showing up in the first Batman movie in this supposed new trilogy could also mean she might make appearances in future movies. So who knows really. Apparently Zoë was chosen for the rule because of her chemistry with Pattinson, who she's known for 10 years, so the odds of Catwoman ruining another Batman story seems very real at this point.

I've lost most interest in this movie already ever since Affleck dropped out and the whole thing turned into an obvious desperate attempt at copying Nolan's trilogy. It's still a Batman movie though so I hope it's going to be good, but I don't have much faith at this point. Seeing what the Batsuit and Batmobile look like would be a good way to restore my interest however, but these are most likely nowhere near being ready to show yet.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:17 pm

Riddler and Penguin? Well I'm glad it isn't just the Joker again, those aren't the big two I'd imagine. Traditionally isn't there one mastermind and one brute. Like Riddler and Doctor Death in "Zero Year", or Penguin and Solomon Grundy in "Arkham City".
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:22 pm

This movie will be so by the book, I think DC is heading in the wrong direction hell I think they will have to go double dark because of the Joker movie. Joker made Nolan's Batman look like a Marvel movie so I doubt DC will want their new Batman movie to be "out-darked". Patterson even said Batman isn't a hero so hell we might even get to see Bruce prison raped as Snyder wanted...jk..or am I.

This movie will be just fine in my opinion, DC needs to learn that they need to go in the opposite direction if they want to impress, kinda like the Spiderman franchise did with Into the Spider-Verse. More comic-book accuracy is the way to go not more "realism".
0 x

RadicalLogic
Teen Titan

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:51 pm

Jonah Hill would've been about as fitting for the Riddler as Jesse Eisenberg was for Lex Luthor, so no big deal.

I can't take Seth Rogen's goofy, dumb face seriously and he has limited range, so that was a bullet dodged.

I have no idea how Zoe Kravitz keeps getting roles, she plays the same character in every movie and has zero range. And lacking good acting skills, well, they could've at least picked someone that's nice to look at.

In general, I can't really say I like ANY of the casting for this movie. Pattinson, I suppose I can tolerate, but he doesn't really strike me as Batman material. And I'm not even touching on Gordon's casting whatsoever.
0 x
"Garlic deodorant. Jason says it wards off vampires up to ten feet away." - Black Canary

"I suspect it can ward off humans up to a hundred." - Batman

DaisyJane
Justice League

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:32 pm

Yeah can't say I want to see this movie. At least in the original DCEU we would have had a more established Batman which we haven't seen too much of outside of comics and the DCAU. Now we are getting probably and year 1, year 2 Batman which we just had with the Nolan series. Also I like that DCEU Batman seemed like a superhero. Ugh I'll pass on another young gritty antihero Bats. I'll just go see WW and that is it.
0 x
FU DC

ARB
Justice League

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:06 pm

I don't expect this to be a "bad" movie, just an uninspired one. Everyone and their mums want to make the next Dark Knight, so we shouldn't expect much comic book accuracy in Batman movies anytime soon, not after Snyder attempt failed. Also, comic book accuracy would only be a good thing if they actually read the good Batman comics. With our luck, Mat Reeves is probably about to post a pic of himself with a stack of Tom King's Batman TPB's. Thank god they're shooting the film before that Bat/Cat atrocity is released, although they can always save it for the sequels.

I completely agree and I've even said it before that Batfleck was a breath of fresh air. We've had far too many young Batman movies at this point, and with that kind of set up the scope of the story can only be limited. Batfleck was in the perfect position to go anywhere WB wanted, with his experience and without the baggage of his usual villains being around. That Batfleck vs Deathstroke film could've been great. Throwing all of that away for an attempt to ape Nolan's trilogy is just disappointing.
RadicalLogic wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:51 pm
I have no idea how Zoe Kravitz keeps getting roles, she plays the same character in every movie and has zero range. And lacking good acting skills, well, they could've at least picked someone that's nice to look at.
I mean...it's Catwoman. I don't think the role requires much acting chops, and as far as the fans are concerned they could've used a cardboard cut-out of her from the comics and they'd still be on board. I know everyone talks about Michelle Pfeiffer and her performance as Catwoman, but I believe that worked largely because they changed the character drastically from her comic book counterpart. I personally don't mind Kravitz, but I'm not sure she's the leading lady type of actor, but what do I care ? Reeves could surprise me with the way he handles her character, but I have no expectations of him accomplishing that.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:55 pm

In a way I feel kinda bad for Matt Reeves, dude is literally stuck between a rock and a hard place. There is absolutely no way he is going to make the next Dark Knight but he has to at the very least try. The man is literally set for failure or at the very least mediocrity. The best he could possibly do is make an OK movie and rachet up the "grite" so that people have something to talk about. I don't envy his position.

The best thing to do is to go full Grant Morrison subvert expectations and deliver a totally different experience but WB doesn't want that and Reeve's is frankly incapable of it. I think this movie might not even be an OK movie I think it might even flop, I just don't see where they could go given the path they have chosen but I could be wrong I was wrong about Joker apparently its a masterpiece.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:28 pm

I agree. Unnecessarily limiting the scope of your work for no good reason has always been a huge creative pit peeve of mine, and DC LOVES doing that crap. Why revert to a young Bruce when you could've done a billion different things with the older more experienced Batfleck ? Why go back to the standalone movies when the DCEU has opened up the gates for all kind of stories ? That's why I loved the idea of Batfleck going against Deathstroke. The premise of Batman going against a super-soldier is alone more exciting than anything they've done before in movies. Now all we have is Penguin, Riddler, and iffing Catwoman for the zillionth time. Even Falcone is set to appear in the movie, which should tell you how far back they're going in the timeline. The movie will just be an adaptation of the Long Halloween. and a stale one at that from the looks of it.

To be fair. that's what DC is doing with Batman in the actual comics, the medium that's supposed to be the craziest and most ambitious, so there's no reason to expect better from the movies. It's a million years too early for anyone to do what Morrison did with Batman. They worked tirelessly to undo everything he's done in the comics, so once again I see no reason to expect the movie people to know any better. All they know is TDKR, Year One, the Long Halloween, Knightfall, and Hush. Don't expect them to mine any other stories for potential movies.
0 x