Robert Pattinson is cast as Batman

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
ARB
Justice League

Re: Robert Pattinson is cast as Batman

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:21 am

Catwoman can become an alien transformer for all people would care. As long as she's shagging with Batman, nothing else really matters about her character. Her being an Irene Adler wannabe makes sense in my opinion. It's the Riddler as Moriarty that I find odd, because the Riddler never been anything close to Batman's nemesis.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:08 am

I don't know, I can't see Catwoman as Irene, Irene is supposed to be Holmes equal and I just can't see Catwoman giving Batman a run for his money at all maybe that's just me but I have never seen Catwoman as any sort of threat to Batman or particularly good at her craft. The reason she gets away is because Batman just allows her to most of the time something I never liked btw it kinda undercuts his morality. A lot of people will just argue that she is "just" a thief and that she is in need but the same argument could be given in favor of Joe Chill and the reasons given for committing a crime are irrelevant in the eyes of the law and that's what Batman is a lawman.

On the other hand Riddler, I can see as Moriarty somewhat. His whole deal is kinda proving he is smarter than Batman I know the Hush story wasn't all that great but his appearances in Batman The Animated Series come to mind especially in the episode If You Are So Smart Why Aren't You Rich. I think Riddler could work as a sort of Moriarty figure at least as far as intelligence goes.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:38 pm

Of course what you're saying makes sense, but that's not how Catwoman rolls. Just look to King's run and the amount of stuff he retconned into her backstory, like having a Batman-esque journey where she trained with the best masters to become a badass martial artist, despite being a poor orphan who couldn't afford to eat. She also broke Bane's back, beat three Flashes simultaneously, and trained Batman to help get his mojo back. Think about it, Catwoman is now officially one of Bruce's masters. Nobody batted an eye at any of this. In fact most people seem to have celebrated this showcase of her awesomeness. So why wouldn't people accept her as Irene Adler ? Last time I checked, Irene has the whole femme fatale sexual tension going with Holmes, so she basically ticks all of Catwoman's boxes.

My issue with Riddler is that while he does fit Moriarty's MO, he's nowhere as important to the Batman mythos as Moriarty is to Holmes. Moriarty is Holmes' arch nemesis, the Riddler is not Batman's. When they say Riddler will play a similar role to Moriarty, I assume that will come with the same level of importance that Moriarty holds to Holmes. I can't see Riddler being the main villain in more than a single movie. Although they could be drawing inspiration from Moriarty's original depictions where only showed up in a couple of Sherlock Holmes stories, rather than his modern portrayal.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:41 pm

I guess Riddler isn't very important in that sense and Batman have Villain's who can fill that gap Ra's comes to mind or even Hugo Strange who I believe was created as Batman's Moriarty. I don't know in which direction Reeves will go, I hear he is going for a semi-self-contained trilogy(like Nolan) so I just don't know only time can tell with this Batman movie. I guess a sense of not knowing is OK. The Joker movie wowed people so who knows maybe Reeves will too.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:37 am

I thought the Joker movie was a dumb idea when they announced, so I'm definitely not 100% when it comes to predicting how these things will go. Still, the Joker was pretty much free to do whatever it wanted as it had very loose ties to the comics. The Batman can't afford to do that though, and Reeves made a big show of how much he plans on being faithful to the source material. So I don't know really. I honestly think having the Riddler and Catwoman is enough for one movie, so throwing the Penguin in there as well as Falcone seems like overkill. I'm expecting the movie to be a mess, but I'm open to being surprised. Too bad they dropped their plans for a shared universe.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:55 pm

Only time will tell with this movie. I really hope it is good or maybe if it flops DC will learn a lesson? Who knows.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:29 pm

More casting news from The Batman.

Also, we got confirmation that Matt Reeves is looking to cast the actor who will play Harvey Dent very soon, so expect to see Two-Face show up in a future movie if they got to do more of those. All characters confirmed to show up in the movie are characters who have been in at least one live action adaptation of Batman, if not multiple. Pretty disappointing.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:44 am

That's some interesting casting especially Andy Serkis as Alfred. All the jokes about a CGI Alfred were pretty funny though. The Two-Face casting I can see. I have to say this movie just sounds uninspired.
0 x

no avatar
Lurker nomore
Teen Titan

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:27 am

The only way that I can buy catwoman being Irene Adler to Batmans Sherlock Holmes if this version of selina was raised by her father the gangster falcone and followed in his footsteps to be a criminal. A bored rich gangsters daughter who decided to go into the family business as it were. The reason being a poor woman from the street can not know all those skills that are needed to be batmans equal unless it was talia for that reason as well. But I guess he did not want to crib to much from nolans batman. Maybe that is why falcone is there as a flashback. That is the only way that would make sense for catwoman being not only a physical but intellectual threat to batman I think
0 x

no avatar
MrBlue1594
Sidekick Trainee

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:51 pm

I would’ve thought Colin Farrell would’ve been a good Harvey Dent, but he’ll certainly be an...interesting Penguin. I’m honestly not nearly as cynical about all this casting as the majority of you guys seem to be.
0 x
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens- J.R.R. Tolkien

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die- Roy Batty

BatsGeek
Teen Titan

Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:24 pm

Star Wars getting is getting utterly disrespected before our very eyes with all this SJW shit so I can see them adapting king's trash for the big screen. Hollywood gonna be Hollywood. Nothing he does will never ever be canon to me.
0 x

no avatar
MrBlue1594
Sidekick Trainee

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Let’s not bring that stuff here
0 x
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens- J.R.R. Tolkien

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die- Roy Batty

RadicalLogic
Teen Titan

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:38 pm

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:19 pm
Well, ain't that something. I can't imagine Catwoman as Irene. She just isn't smart or clever enough but then again Reeves may take some inspiration from King. I don't know how to feel about this rumor, I don't think it is true so that's number one. The taking inspiration from Adam West part just cannot be true.
If true, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of Irene Adler as a character, seeing as her entire purpose wasn't to be a femme fatale love interest (she already had her eyes on someone in A Scandal In Bohemia whom she committed the crime for) but a mere intellectual foil who managed to one-up Holmes. Holmes doesn't even express any romantic interest in her whatsoever, he's merely impressed at her ingenuity. Irene Adler could have been a man trying to run away with another woman for all that it mattered, it's just that her being a woman added to the shock factor at the time. It pisses me off how her character has gotten so bastardized over time, if I could get my hands on the person who started this stupid trend, I'd strangle them for it.

Back to Batman, if they wanted anyone to be Batman's Moriarty, they should have picked Hugo Strange. He was literally created to be a Moriarty expy, the way Batman describes him in his first appearance is almost a direct rip-off the way Holmes describes Moriarty. But then, Hugo never gets any respect - the most high profile appearance he got was in Batman: Arkham City and that game completely wasted his character. DC has an odd obsession with pushing Riddler as a big-shot villain for the past decade, which is never going to work - Riddler simply isn't made of the same material that makes villains like Joker iconic. Hugo is made of the same material but DC doesn't really have anyone that likes the character enough to elevate him.

Colin Farrell is an odd choice as Penguin but I guess they're going the Gotham route now since there aren't many actors who could fit the physical part of the character. I guess they could have tried to get Danny Devito back again but I doubt he'd agree to it. Or Peter Dinklage, if he'd been up for it.
0 x
"Garlic deodorant. Jason says it wards off vampires up to ten feet away." - Black Canary

"I suspect it can ward off humans up to a hundred." - Batman

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:43 am

RadicalLogic wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:38 pm
ThatOneGuy wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:19 pm
Well, ain't that something. I can't imagine Catwoman as Irene. She just isn't smart or clever enough but then again Reeves may take some inspiration from King. I don't know how to feel about this rumor, I don't think it is true so that's number one. The taking inspiration from Adam West part just cannot be true.
If true, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of Irene Adler as a character, seeing as her entire purpose wasn't to be a femme fatale love interest (she already had her eyes on someone in A Scandal In Bohemia whom she committed the crime for) but a mere intellectual foil who managed to one-up Holmes. Holmes doesn't even express any romantic interest in her whatsoever, he's merely impressed at her ingenuity. Irene Adler could have been a man trying to run away with another woman for all that it mattered, it's just that her being a woman added to the shock factor at the time. It pisses me off how her character has gotten so bastardized over time, if I could get my hands on the person who started this stupid trend, I'd strangle them for it.

Back to Batman, if they wanted anyone to be Batman's Moriarty, they should have picked Hugo Strange. He was literally created to be a Moriarty expy, the way Batman describes him in his first appearance is almost a direct rip-off the way Holmes describes Moriarty. But then, Hugo never gets any respect - the most high profile appearance he got was in Batman: Arkham City and that game completely wasted his character. DC has an odd obsession with pushing Riddler as a big-shot villain for the past decade, which is never going to work - Riddler simply isn't made of the same material that makes villains like Joker iconic. Hugo is made of the same material but DC doesn't really have anyone that likes the character enough to elevate him.

Colin Farrell is an odd choice as Penguin but I guess they're going the Gotham route now since there aren't many actors who could fit the physical part of the character. I guess they could have tried to get Danny Devito back again but I doubt he'd agree to it. Or Peter Dinklage, if he'd been up for it.
I always kind of saw Ra's al Ghul (I have to look up exactly how to spell his name every time for some reason) as his Moriarty. Really smart, insanely connected, head of an international criminal syndicate (assassination is a crime), weird kind of respect between the two of them. Also Moriarty was made to be Sherlock's most powerful enemy and usually Ra's is shown to be Batman's.
I agree with you about Irene Adler by the way, with that crap BBC "Sherlock" show being the very worst iteration of her. At least in "Elementary" the character doesn't actually appear, you just find out that she was used as a false alias.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

ARB
Justice League

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:23 pm

ARB wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:22 pm
Some rumors. As usual, take them with a grain of salt.

Following up on the rumors about the Bat suit being inspired by the classic Adam West suit....

Interestingly enough, this is a Matt Reeves tweet from back in 2018...

As usual, take it all with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Another rumor from the rumor mill, now contradicting the other rumors about the Blue/Grey suit.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:15 am

The last rumor sounds the most plausible to me because it's literally the worst option. I almost forgot that Earth One exists such a bad comic and a bad "deconstruction" of Batman. With everything we have seen from Reeves, I am inclined to believe he may be heading in that direction. The only place Batman haven't gone on the "realistic" spectrum in so realistic that he is portrayed as borderline incompetent and I feel they might go in that direction.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:08 am

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:15 am
The last rumor sounds the most plausible to me because it's literally the worst option. I almost forgot that Earth One exists such a bad comic and a bad "deconstruction" of Batman. With everything we have seen from Reeves, I am inclined to believe he may be heading in that direction. The only place Batman haven't gone on the "realistic" spectrum in so realistic that he is portrayed as borderline incompetent and I feel they might go in that direction.
Yeah, "What if Batman sucked at crime fighting" was a story I didn't feel needed told.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:25 am

Grendle1853 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:08 am

Yeah, "What if Batman sucked at crime fighting" was a story I didn't feel needed told.
I know right?! John's is something else. How anyone finds anything praiseworthy in that book is beyond me it's very clear John's intent with the story.
0 x

BatsGeek
Teen Titan

Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Johns is just another hypocritical moron who hates Batman. Eye-rolling as hell when he was brought on to "save" DC movies.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:22 pm

John's is equally responsible for the current state of DC in my opinion, hell he might even have more blood on his hands as he is the one who writes most of books responsible for ruining DC and he have been doing it for some time now since Infinite Crisis. Bringing back redundant character further messing up continuity and precedent for no reason. Johns is just the worst.
0 x