Robert Pattinson is cast as Batman

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
RadicalLogic
Teen Titan

Re: Robert Pattinson is cast as Batman

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:18 am

Earth One Batman blows but I thought the suit was OK, plus it's fairly close to Affleck's suit so if they wanted to keep continuity, it'd be the best choice. I hope we get the lenses this time, though. Maybe make them black instead of white just to put their own spin on it.
0 x
"Garlic deodorant. Jason says it wards off vampires up to ten feet away." - Black Canary

"I suspect it can ward off humans up to a hundred." - Batman

BatsGeek
Teen Titan

Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:41 pm

I just watched Marvel: Assembling a Universe and now I'm sad and envious wondering why this passion wasn't with Warner Bros.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:02 am

WB has never known how to use the DC Universe. They got lucky when they happened upon Bruce Timm and his team, the DCEU proves that.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

BatsGeek
Teen Titan

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Not trying to rant because what hasn't been said already? Just...GOD it must be SO nice you know?
0 x

Darkknightsvengence
Justice League

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:37 am

0 x
Hail to the King Baby

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:23 am

Not too shaby, but it def looks a little weird.
Kind of like his forehead is jutting out.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:24 pm

He looks like Daredevil.
0 x

Darkknightsvengence
Justice League

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:49 pm

the stunt version of the suit it appears.
0 x
Hail to the King Baby

BatsGeek
Teen Titan

Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:49 am

This trash is just a prototype, right? And the real suit is coming later in the film? One with colors, a better insignia and trunks?
0 x

RadicalLogic
Teen Titan

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:42 am

Pattinson suffers from the same problem Charlie Cox did with Daredevil, which is that the suit they created for him does not flatter the guy in the slightest. It looks off. It also seems like they tried to ape the Arkham Origins design but put in too much tacticool. Batman Begins was the last time we had a Batsuit that actually tried to evoke an animalistic appearance.
0 x
"Garlic deodorant. Jason says it wards off vampires up to ten feet away." - Black Canary

ARB
Justice League

Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:39 pm

RadicalLogic wrote:
Batman Begins was the last time we had a Batsuit that actually tried to evoke an animalistic appearance.
You know what ? In my personal opinion I don't believe the batsuit should ever look "animalistic". I don't believe it ever did in the comics and for a good reason. Sure the Bat motif is everywhere on Batman, but the characteristics of actual bats have never been significant to Batman's character. The idea of taking the image of a bat was simply to become a frighting figure to scare criminals, that's why I've always interpreted the bat imagery more as a shorthand for a demonic looking monster rather than the actual animal. The bat cowl never resembled the head of a bat for example. The ears on the cowl are long and pointy, looking like horns rather than bat ears. The bat suit is designed to have the silhouette of a stylized looking bat but its actual appearance is far less animalistic.

In my opinion this was an ingenious decision. I believe this is what gives Batman's design such a timeless appeal. Batman is the terrifying boogeyman who lurks in the darkness to punish criminals. Some see him as a monster, others think he's a vampire, and a few believe he's the devil himself. This theme is even present in some of Bruce's other suits like the Hellbat, which is obviously based on demonic creatures rather than looking like a straight up bat. I think this gives Batman a much bigger range of themes and looks to play with rather than narrow it down to an animal based look. It also helps give Batman that mythical presence that he deserves. I remember Stan Lee's version of Batman being a wrestler who wore a bat costume that looked like the skinned hide of Man-Bat, and I didn't find that look appealing in the slightest.
0 x

RadicalLogic
Teen Titan

Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:00 am

ARB wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:39 pm
RadicalLogic wrote:
Batman Begins was the last time we had a Batsuit that actually tried to evoke an animalistic appearance.
You know what ? In my personal opinion I don't believe the batsuit should ever look "animalistic". I don't believe it ever did in the comics and for a good reason. Sure the Bat motif is everywhere on Batman, but the characteristics of actual bats have never been significant to Batman's character. The idea of taking the image of a bat was simply to become a frighting figure to scare criminals, that's why I've always interpreted the bat imagery more as a shorthand for a demonic looking monster rather than the actual animal. The bat cowl never resembled the head of a bat for example. The ears on the cowl are long and pointy, looking like horns rather than bat ears. The bat suit is designed to have the silhouette of a stylized looking bat but its actual appearance is far less animalistic.

In my opinion this was an ingenious decision. I believe this is what gives Batman's design such a timeless appeal. Batman is the terrifying boogeyman who lurks in the darkness to punish criminals. Some see him as a monster, others think he's a vampire, and a few believe he's the devil himself. This theme is even present in some of Bruce's other suits like the Hellbat, which is obviously based on demonic creatures rather than looking like a straight up bat. I think this gives Batman a much bigger range of themes and looks to play with rather than narrow it down to an animal based look. It also helps give Batman that mythical presence that he deserves. I remember Stan Lee's version of Batman being a wrestler who wore a bat costume that looked like the skinned hide of Man-Bat, and I didn't find that look appealing in the slightest.
I disagree, the overall look of the Batsuit is supposedly to pretty clearly evoke the image of a giant bat. Batman being depicted with bats flying around him as though he is their master, gliding by spreading his wings in a fashion akin to a bat, hanging upside down like a bat, all of that imagery is designed to contribute to Batman's animalistic imagery. It also better contributes to his theatrics - to bring it back to Batman Begins, that version of the suit was intended to better sell the effect of Batman as a terrifying force of nature. Suits like Pattinson's are just straight-up tacticool garbage, which completely destroys that mythic aspect of Batman and makes him look more like a dime-store Iron Man.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:24 pm

Of course the bat theme is central but I don't believe it's as prominent as other animal based characters. Compare Batman to someone like Spider-Man, where the spider theme is directly related to his powers, and you'll notice that Batman doesn't show many characteristics or behaviors exclusive to bats. It's exactly as you said, Batman "evokes" the image of bats, but they don't necessarily describe all that he does. I know this might be a weird distinction to make, but I think it is a big part of why Batman has been able to take many forms over the years. Frankly this could all be just me seeing a connecting theme that was never intended by DC, but the effect is still there with many writers exploiting the broader imagery that the batsuit evokes rather than narrow it down to the actual animal.

In any case, I get what you're saying about the Battinson suit and I definitely agree. The incessant need to "ground" Batman has resulted in suits that don't carry any of the mystique or otherworldly attributes that the batsuit is meant to have. I blame it on Nolan, as ever since TDK all anyone wants to do is to ape his style and tone, which is how we ended up with stuff like Batman Earth One. Reeves looks to be just another person trying to copy Nolan's hyper realistic approach, which resulted in the "everything on the suit needs to be some kind of a realistic tool" mentality. From the looks of it, the Battinson suit doesn't even have the scallops on the gauntlet, replaced instead with straps that vaguely resemble the blades that should be there.
0 x

Darkknightsvengence
Justice League

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:00 pm

0 x
Hail to the King Baby

no avatar
MrBlue1594
Young Justice

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:28 pm

I like it, I’d rather have something different than just another tank.
0 x
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens- J.R.R. Tolkien

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die- Roy Batty

Grendle1853
Justice League

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:46 am

MrBlue1594 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:28 pm
I like it, I’d rather have something different than just another tank.
I agree, it at least looks more like a car. Still nowhere near as good as the '89 model.
0 x

Ghost13
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Captain Marvel (Shazam)

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:04 pm

Looks pretty retro, kind of like a muscle car. I think I like it.
0 x
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

― H.P. Lovecraft

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:12 am

Looks like it's based on an old Mustang of Shelby GT500.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:31 am

Huh, thought he'd be more of a Chevy man. Think the muscle car works though.
0 x

BatsGeek
Teen Titan

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:36 pm

I already don't like this movie. Suit is lame. So is this normal looking car and if it's really adapting zero year, which is just another No Man's Land, a long ass story that went on for far too long, then this is just going to be a whole lot of nothing.
0 x