The Batman (Pattinson)

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
Ghost13
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Captain Marvel (Shazam)

Re: The Batman (Pattinson)

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:48 pm

Really looking forward to a serious take on Riddler. He still is one of the best Bat-villains. He and Selina look a bit weird, though. I don´t really understand why they don´t go with the suits from the comics, not gritty enough for you? lol
0 x
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

― H.P. Lovecraft

Lordfrieza
Justice League
Justice League Membership: The Question

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:08 pm

Not sure how I feel about Robert Patterson. Maybe it'll be good, but I have serious doubts. Then again, I've had serious doubts about anything that DC has put out that hasn't been animated, and even in that regard I've seen some epic fails.
1 x
"The tips at the end of shoelaces are called 'aglets'. Their true purpose is sinister." The Question

League member 'Question'

"You just couldn't let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object." - The Joker

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:53 pm

Lordfrieza wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:08 pm
Not sure how I feel about Robert Patterson. Maybe it'll be good, but I have serious doubts. Then again, I've had serious doubts about anything that DC has put out that hasn't been animated, and even in that regard I've seen some epic fails.
He looks like he's gonna be spazzy Batman, like he's just gonna fly off the handle all the time. I don't like that.
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

BatsGeek
Teen Titan

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:47 am

Whole trailer looks like garbage and I still don't like the suit.
0 x

Chaosmob
Site Admin
Justice League Membership: Plastic Man

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:43 am

Didn't like the gun battle scenes. YUCK!!! Other than that. I'm holding out hope that R.Patterson might be a good young and foolish Wayne.
0 x
Can I have one more day? Every one I have left. My life is yours.
League membership: Plastic Man

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:56 am

The only thing that gives me pause in the trailer is the Bruce Wayne persona. Im not getting a billionaire playboy philantropist vibe from the scenes I saw and think thats a big part of Bruces character. He looks more like a moody emo, like someone people coudl say is Batman, which defeats the whole point.
0 x

no avatar
Huntsman44
Young Justice

Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:53 pm

eurongreyo wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:56 am
The only thing that gives me pause in the trailer is the Bruce Wayne persona. Im not getting a billionaire playboy philantropist vibe from the scenes I saw and think thats a big part of Bruces character. He looks more like a moody emo, like someone people coudl say is Batman, which defeats the whole point.
I feel like the moody emo bled through a little bit into Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne too, which I'm kinda on the fence about, whereas Bale's Bruce Wayne pretty much nailed the playboy aspect in my opinion.

The reason I'm on the fence about it is because Ben Affleck's Batman has been through a lot of shit so it makes more sense for the walls between the Bruce Wayne and Batman personas to fall down a bit but on the other hand, as you say, a big and important part of the playboy persona is to distract people from connecting Bruce Wayne to Batman.

Potentially, I think a large part of it depends upon how you view the level of trauma that Batman is exposed too. I think the moody emo bit of Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne works a lot because we have multiple reasons as to why he is the way he is 1) Dick Grayson was killed by the Joker 2) Superman and Zod just killed a lot of his employees 3) he got to witness the destruction of metropolis and the aftermath first-hand 4) he's been doing it for 20 years and he's clearly in a lot of physical and emotional pain, and he quite probably expects to die doing the job 5) he's been betrayed at least once ('how many good men stayed that way').

On the other hand, Pattinson's batman has solely had his parents killed, which will probably always be the major trauma for him in most incarnations to be fair, but I think Gotham would quickly throw up a lot of almost equally traumatic events so for him to be so moody early on doesn't fit. He also has to establish his image, which would be a lot easier if he was a playboy philanthropist from the start.

I could think maybe you could say in his first couple of years he was pretty moody and then lightened up before getting dragged down again but I don't think this approach works.

Also, I hate how his moodiness has bled into his fight scenes since Batman's fighting style in my opinion has to be brutal but controlled, with no wasted effort and almost a seamless transition from one task to another (planning ahead while fighting multiple foes essentially). Pattinson's Batman has him wailing on a guy while the thugs just stand there.
0 x

Darkknightsvengence
Justice League

Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:40 pm

1 x
Hail to the King Baby

no avatar
Niloc
Young Justice

Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:39 pm

Honestly, I’m really excited for this Batman movie. While I don’t really like him with Selina since she’s manipulative and greedy, you have to realize that this is only a ~Year 2 Batman, meaning that he’s more naive and a relationship with Catwoman at this young age is ultimate inevitable. Besides that, I personally really like the style of this movie. It’s more gothic and seemingly dark, and we can see how violent and enraged Batman is. Although I don’t really like reading about Batman losing control, I’m actually really hopeful for how Reeves portrays this young Bruce Wayne.

Even though I mentioned how Batfleck killing didn’t really bother me, I can’t wait to see how Reeves handles the Dark Knight’s ‘No Killing’ rule. It’s been described that there’s a scene where it’s obvious Batman wants to make a killing blow, yet he holds himself back. That being said, I already know I’m going to love this brute-type Batman who goes in fists first. He hasn’t established control yet, and I want to see how that reality check of his violent actions is going to hit him. We really haven’t seen an unhindered Batman besides the famous Warehouse scene in BvS, and I think that The Batman is going to be filled with scenes just like that one.

One thing I also can’t wait to see is Colin Farell’s Penguin. It’s one of the lesser mentioned things about this movie, but from the snippets we’ve gotten from the trailers I think he’s going to be really good. (give whoever did his makeup the BIGGEST raise lol; you don’t even recognize him).

Also, while I mostly prefer a Batmobile that is a half tank/half sport car (like in BvS or Arkham Knight), that Batmobile looks AMAZING to me. It’s like an insanely upgraded and rugged version of something like the ‘66 Batmobile. And yes, I already got the Technic Lego Set for it :lol:

I know some on here are hesitant about the movie, especially with Catwoman being in it, but personally I’m really excited for this movie. While I would always prefer Ben in the cowl again (especially since that almost guarantees some Wonderbat), Pattinson actually seems like he’s got this gothic Batman down. We’ll just have to see how it goes.

One thing I know I’m 100% sure I’m not excited for…
Spoiler: Show
is the fact that Riddler is most probably going to be a half-brother to Bruce. I really hate the storylines that portray Bruce’s parents as these frivolous swingers who cheat on each other since it ruins everything that Batman fights for. Him finding out that his parents were just as corrupt as those he fights against to me would destroy his entire purpose of being Batman. Painting the Waynes in a golden light just adds on to Batman’s story to me, since it allows him to keep his humanity by not falling too far into the darkness he fights against, with the image of his parents’ goodness reminding him of why he has to fight every night. They tried doing this in the Joker by making Thomas Wayne seem like an corrupt politician that everyone hated (who might have been Joker’s father), and while I didn’t like it there either, I guess I was more fine with it since we don’t really know if Bruce actually went on to become Batman in that universe after his parents’ murder. This Batman, one who was even lied to by his one and only confidant Alfred about the truth of the Wayne family, I could see just giving up his fight, since he was fighting for a false image.
1 x
My heart belongs to Batman - Susan Eisenburg (the true Wonder Woman)

{I’m Epistol btw, I’m just too lazy to use my other account.}

RadicalLogic
Teen Titan

Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:50 pm

Niloc wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:39 pm
One thing I know I’m 100% sure I’m not excited for…
is the fact that Riddler is most probably going to be a half-brother to Bruce. I really hate the storylines that portray Bruce’s parents as these frivolous swingers who cheat on each other since it ruins everything that Batman fights for. Him finding out that his parents were just as corrupt as those he fights against to me would destroy his entire purpose of being Batman. Painting the Waynes in a golden light just adds on to Batman’s story to me, since it allows him to keep his humanity by not falling too far into the darkness he fights against, with the image of his parents’ goodness reminding him of why he has to fight every night. They tried doing this in the Joker by making Thomas Wayne seem like an corrupt politician that everyone hated (who might have been Joker’s father), and while I didn’t like it there either, I guess I was more fine with it since we don’t really know if Bruce actually went on to become Batman in that universe after his parents’ murder. This Batman, one who was even lied to by his one and only confident Alfred about the truth of the Wayne family, I could see just giving up his fight, since he was fighting for a false image.
I actually don't mind the "Waynes are dicks" angle. In my opinion, if handled well it's another avenue to showing Bruce's personality development and how he goes from being Batman for mostly personal reasons (revenge/honoring his parents' memory) to doing it purely because it is the right thing to do. It actually makes his character even stronger because now he's fighting purely on the strength of his own moral convictions.
My biggest issue remains that Pattinson is still not really selling me on his Batman. Sure the fight scenes look cool but in terms of acting, he's really overdoing the brooding, overly serious shtick. Also, f**k Catwoman. I'm seriously sick of them shoving her into every single Batman piece of media and instead of going back to the flirty anti-hero cat burglar, she's now this quasi-vigilante of her own who is somehow Batman's equal and talks like every single unflattering "strong, independent woman" stereotype out there. Really makes me appreciate how Patty Jenkins' characterized Diana in her films.

And the music really sucks from what I've heard. It doesn't work smoothly with what's going on-screen, it's not nice to listen to on its own and it doesn't set the mood very well. It's actually remarkable how bad it is, I expected much better from Michael Giacchino.
1 x
"Garlic deodorant. Jason says it wards off vampires up to ten feet away." - Black Canary

"I suspect it can ward off humans up to a hundred." - Batman

no avatar
Huntsman44
Young Justice

Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:25 am

Thoughts haven’t really changed since the previous trailer. Might see it but will probably rank below all of the Bale films and BvS for me.
- fight scenes look a bit better but still bad.
- One of the YouTube versions of the trailers is titled ‘The Bat and the Cat’ which reminds me of the hack Tom King and how badly a relationship with Catwoman affects his character.
- not a fan of enraged Batman except in specific circumstances (like the Warehouse scene which was very cathartic)
- Makeup artist for Colin Farell is amazing
- Gothic Gotham is always great

Kind of ambivalent about making Bruce Wayne’s parents to be bad. They don’t have to be saints but they should be good people.

As for him finding out, I think that would definitely throw him for a loop (which might partly explain his rage) but ultimately he would come to the conclusion that it is his responsibility to better the name of the Wayne family and to do what is right, which is to continue to be Batman. That said, this is a storyline that really only needs to be explored once and imo should definitely not become a mainstay of his backstory. In some ways it adds nuance and depth, but ultimately it just adds too much complexity if it’s another arc that he needs to go through every time he’s rebooted. Also, it feels a bit like another one of those poor attempts to deconstruct Batman. In my opinion the change to Bruce’s parents they should make is to make Martha the CEO of Wayne Enterprises since Thomas is almost invariably (to my knowledge) depicted as a doctor. Martha would run the company in his name while Thomas would pursue his passion and what he is good at.

I wonder if the end credit scene will show a Robin, probably Dick Grayson.
1 x

annaoi
Titan

Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:47 am

At least the theme sounds badass. Come to think of it, all dem modern batman themes sound badass:

1 x