Tween Wonder Woman gets her own graphic novel

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
ISAK
Titan

Tween Wonder Woman gets her own graphic novel

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 pm

https://www.romper.com/p/tween-wonder-w ... y-16814241
Cut off from the rest of the world, Diana had an idyllic childhood on Themyscira. But now 11-years-old, she's beginning to feel more and more isolated. Though she has many "aunties" and a loving mother, she is an only child. THE only child, in fact.
After an escapade goes wrong, Queen Hippolyta chastises Diana for not living up to the Amazon standard. Diana just can't seem to measure up, no matter what she does! Literally every other person on the island is an adult proficient in their trade and mighty in body, while she is gangly, sometimes clumsy, and not particularly proficient in anything. She's not Wonder Woman yet. What Diana needs is a friend; someone her own age whom she can talk to. But when she decides to take matters into her own hands — she may just make a monster instead.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Re: Tween Wonder Woman gets her own graphic novel

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:24 pm

ISAK wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 pm
https://www.romper.com/p/tween-wonder-w ... y-16814241
Cut off from the rest of the world, Diana had an idyllic childhood on Themyscira. But now 11-years-old, she's beginning to feel more and more isolated. Though she has many "aunties" and a loving mother, she is an only child. THE only child, in fact.
After an escapade goes wrong, Queen Hippolyta chastises Diana for not living up to the Amazon standard. Diana just can't seem to measure up, no matter what she does! Literally every other person on the island is an adult proficient in their trade and mighty in body, while she is gangly, sometimes clumsy, and not particularly proficient in anything. She's not Wonder Woman yet. What Diana needs is a friend; someone her own age whom she can talk to. But when she decides to take matters into her own hands — she may just make a monster instead.
Interesting concept. And probably a good move financially on DC's part to make a kid-centric project like this.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

ISAK
Titan

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:25 pm

I'm just glad it's something that actually take Wonder Woman's mythology into consideration and build up from it, instead of trying to rewrite it. It also seems to be treating Wonder Woman's world and cast with great care.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:18 pm

ISAK wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:25 pm
I'm just glad it's something that actually take Wonder Woman's mythology into consideration and build up from it, instead of trying to rewrite it. It also seems to be treating Wonder Woman's world and cast with great care.
Agreed. When DC talks about wanting to revisit some rooted aspect of a character, this is what they should aim for rather than just latching onto some arbitrary secondary character or other point.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

ISAK
Titan

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 pm

You know what makes this all more depressing? DC isn't hiring the usual comic book writers for these books. DC is hiring authors more associated with YA novels and graphic novels. People outside of the usual comics industry.

And they show more understanding and love for the company's characters mythos and characterization than the so called professionals that have been at it for decades. That supposedly know these characters in-and-out.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:02 pm

ISAK wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 pm
You know what makes this all more depressing? DC isn't hiring the usual comic book writers for these books. DC is hiring authors more associated with YA novels and graphic novels. People outside of the usual comics industry.

And they show more understanding and love for the company's characters mythos and characterization than the so called professionals that have been at it for decades. That supposedly know these characters in-and-out.
I have to wonder if it doesn't have to do with these authors not trying to pull the moves a few of the more puffed up writers at DC are doing by trying to reinvent the wheel with their runs in a vain attempt to leave some kind of supposed mark. These stories are just meant to be enjoyable, entertaining, consistent and it seems that the outsiders get that more than somebody with an agenda to push in hopes of gaining the adulation of a measure (because comic fans are fickle and divided and never uniformly in agreement with anything) of a fandom.
0 x
― Grant Morrison

no avatar
Lurker nomore
Teen Titan

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:53 am

Good hire someone who actually cares about that character and history you get a good story wish they do that more often. Then we would not get the crud like tom king is peddling
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:49 pm

I've never quite understood how "old" Diana was when she was created. She was carved from clay and then given life, and when I usually think of ancient Greek sculptures they are at least children and not babies, so I always thought that she sprung into being as young girl. But then the animated movie showed her mother roughly forming a baby out of clay, is that what happened? Anyone know an "official" comic take on this?
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

BatsGeek
Young Justice

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:07 pm

I'm very interested in Batman: Overdrive but I think the name should be changed to Bruce since he's far from wearing the cowl in this book and he'll just be building a car. Also, read somewhere on twitter the reason why he's doing this is to deal with the grief of his parents.
0 x

ISAK
Titan

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:18 pm

We don't even know if they're going with the clay origin in this. I'd hope so, but ever since the New 52 and, specially, movie they've gone with the Zeus thing everywhere.
0 x