So...DCEU Wonder Woman...is a rapist now

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

So...DCEU Wonder Woman...is a rapist now

Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:39 am

I haven't watched the movie yet...but is he right?

1 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

Darkknightsvengence
Justice League

Re: So...DCEU Wonder Woman...is a rapist now

Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:57 am

Well... Guess Zeus's blood does run through her veins.
2 x
Hail to the King Baby

Ghost13
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Captain Marvel (Shazam)

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:34 pm

Yeah he is right, and the more I think about it the more disgusting it gets :vomit: . Not even sure if you can lessen the impact it has on the movie somehow since if the guy is completly gone that would make Diana a murderer.
2 x
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

― H.P. Lovecraft

ISAK
Titan

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:42 pm

Yup. It is true. Diana wishes Steve back and thanks to the wishing stones, the movie's macguffin, Steve comes back inhabiting the body of another man. Both Diana and Steve are too happy over being together to ever care that Steve has essentially stole someone's else body. Diana even jokes about the poor sap's wardrobe. In the end there's a catch about Steve's return, but it is not the fact that he probably doomed someone's soul to the afterlife or anything. It is something completely unrelated. And yes, they have sex while Steve is riding the guy's body as a fantasy ride.
What's worse is that in the end when everything is put in place and Steve dies again - only his soul going back this time - the movie hints that Diana is going to seduce the same guy for some more fun, which really gives a weird bent to the whole romance between her and Steve.

I honestly don't know what Johns and Jenkins were thinking when they wrote that in. Steve could have simple returned thanks to magic. No weird possession and questionable sexual acts.
3 x

Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:18 pm

ISAK wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:42 pm
Yup. It is true. Diana wishes Steve back and thanks to the wishing stones, the movie's macguffin, Steve comes back inhabiting the body of another man. Both Diana and Steve are too happy over being together to ever care that Steve has essentially stole someone's else body. Diana even jokes about the poor sap's wardrobe. In the end there's a catch about Steve's return, but it is not the fact that he probably doomed someone's soul to the afterlife or anything. It is something completely unrelated. And yes, they have sex while Steve is riding the guy's body as a fantasy ride.
What's worse is that in the end when everything is put in place and Steve dies again - only his soul going back this time - the movie hints that Diana is going to seduce the same guy for some more fun, which really gives a weird bent to the whole romance between her and Steve.

I honestly don't know what Johns and Jenkins were thinking when they wrote that in. Steve could have simple returned thanks to magic. No weird possession and questionable sexual acts.
Yeah, not only is it distasteful and wrong but it is completely unnecessary from a writing stand point as well. The fuck?
2 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

BatsGeek
Teen Titan

Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:58 pm

So much for the first cinematic WW film and series. I knew this shit was gonna be bad when I heard about the dumb monkey paw thing. And Johns wrote it??? They set this character back. WAY back.
0 x

no avatar
imagnryfroster
Teen Titan

Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:37 pm

I haven’t watched either Wonder Woman movie yet but from a couple review videos I watched, this whole situation could have been avoided. The monkey paw thing could create new things out of thin air, why not a new body for Steve? But no, imply your heroine is a predator for no reason or consequence.
1 x
Missing the DCAU, already missed DCcU
OTP since the First Date

GreeKnight
Young Justice

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:18 pm

imagnryfroster wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:37 pm
I haven’t watched either Wonder Woman movie yet but from a couple review videos I watched, this whole situation could have been avoided. The monkey paw thing could create new things out of thin air, why not a new body for Steve? But no, imply your heroine is a predator for no reason or consequence.
Yeah it was so easy to avoid. How can you not see this when writing the story?

Also, the first WW movie took place during WW1, which was 70 years before this one. Diana still hasn't moved on? Seems kinda too clingy for her imo
1 x

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:05 pm

Like I said in the trailer thread, this disturbed me when I heard it. This is seriously fucked up and I'm hoping it was a reshoot thing, because I have heard that the test screenings were negative and there were reshoots.

Initially when I heard they were gonna bring back Steve Trevor, I thought that they would make it an illusion or something. Maybe that was the original case. Maybe originally handsome guy wished to sleep with Diana, so the stone made him look and act like Steve, but then he'd be the rapist and Diana the victim, which probably would not sit well with audiences.
This way, she's the rapist, but because the victim is an insignificant character of a certain demographic, it's a lot easier for audiences to overlook.

Alternatively, if this was exactly as it was intended, it speaks volumes about the people who wrote the movie, and not in a favourable light...
2 x

annaoi
Titan

Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:36 pm

I read somewhere that Patty Jenkins excuses it as a call back to the 80's tropes which I can assume is all the body switching stuff.

Um.... Patty, not all in the 80's are great call backs.
1 x
Spoiler: Show
Not yet back into the DC fandom, but slowly resurrecting.