Strong Female Character?

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Strong Female Character?

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:12 pm

I came across this video and it got me thinking about why Diana is often in my opinion written incorrectly. Yes she is a powerful warrior but her real strength as a character is her love, compassion and caring. Anyway I hope you will all watch and give some feedback.
0 x
FU DC

MTVCCVC
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Tim Drake [Red Robin]

Re: Strong Female Character?

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:16 pm

I've got nothing to add or argue against. I think the young woman there put it quite well.

It has not been lost on me that for decades the idea of a "strong, independent woman who don't need no man" was basically a woman who acts more like a stereotypical man (in the negative respect) than most men do.

As for the male/female dynamic, in fiction as in real life, ideally it should be a complimentary relationship, not a competitive one.

One thing I highly dislike about modern writing (and even some people's world views) is how much they are based on stereotypes, either affirming them or deliberately going against them.
The issue isn't so much the truthfulness of said stereotypes, but that people's understandings for the existence of these stereotypes is so shallow, bordering on misunderstanding.
0 x

ISAK
Titan

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:49 pm

That's part of the problem, yes, but the other HUGE part when it comes to Wonder Woman portrayal is KINGDOM COME, the gift that keeps on giving. Lots of people still base their portrayal of Wonder Woman on that comic when they try to write her.
2 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm

ISAK wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:49 pm
That's part of the problem, yes, but the other HUGE part when it comes to Wonder Woman portrayal is KINGDOM COME, the gift that keeps on giving. Lots of people still base their portrayal of Wonder Woman on that comic when they try to write her.
Am I alone when I say that that book is a touch overrated and praised beyond its depth?
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

no avatar
Lurker nomore
Teen Titan

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:22 pm

agreed with all the statements above men and womem have both their strengths and weaknesses and should compliment rather than overwhelm one or the other. We could have less of this modern battle of the sexes if people realize that. Sure sometimes on the surface they overlap but the thinking in it is different in either the man or the woman.
1 x