Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
User avatar
Adelaine
Justice League
Posts: 1223
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:42 am
Justice League Membership: Oracle
x 140

Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:49 pm

Because BM is just that popular, and he exists in every conceivable media. Notice in my last few posts I'm only talking about movies? Nevermind that BvS flopped. The Nolan trilogy has been very well received, and that's still fresh in people's minds.

The current happy meal toys are Lego Batman, btw.

I'd like to add to the darker and grittier idea from previously. Injustice Superman is very dark and he resonated with fans. I think it was well-received not because Supes turned evil, but because the concept was well thought out and presented in a way that was believable and at its core still in character with who Superman is.
0 x
There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit. — Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Ddlo18
Titan
Posts: 833
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:37 pm
x 90

Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Adelaine wrote:QR_BBPOST Because BM is just that popular, and he exists in every conceivable media. Notice in my last few posts I'm only talking about movies?
But that's my point AD, why is it he's more popular? I think it's a combination of things, for one his villains are superior to most. But that's only a part of it.

I truly believe that the characters operation in the gray zone is something that he has an advantage in.

I guess what I'm saying is that BM, the themes surrounding the character, and the darkness that shrouds the character is very alluring today. More so then it would be in the 60s, 70,and 80s. And that I believe a character like SM would thrive more in a past time period, or a future one. Just not right now.
0 x
"You're Strong"

"Really Boy Scout, you call that flirting"

"He's the New 52 Version,Princess, ignore him"

User avatar
Adelaine
Justice League
Posts: 1223
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:42 am
Justice League Membership: Oracle
x 140

Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Ddlo18 wrote:QR_BBPOST But that's my point AD, why is it he's more popular?
I meant, he's popular outside the comics and that contributes to his comics sales.
Ddlo18 wrote:QR_BBPOST BM, the themes surrounding the character, and the darkness that shrouds the character is very alluring today. More so then it would be in the 60s, 70,and 80s. And that I believe a character like SM would thrive more in a past time period, or a future one. Just not right now.
I agree, I think BM's gray morality resonates more with today's culture than Superman's does. But at the same time I disagree about Superman. Frankly I think there is always a place for characters like him, but he needs to be written well. To be fair, I think it is harder to write him, and the expectations for Superman are higher.

Again, I'm gonna point out Captain America, Marvel's Golden Boy Naive to a Fault popularity. I've seen far more CA shirts than Iron Man shirts while walking along the city streets. Captain America is actually relevant with RL current events. Superman could and should be. World politics is Superman and Wonder Woman's domain, not Batman's. But he is not there. I don't see it as the fault of the character, but because there has been no good recent incarnation of him.

People need good stories. People need superheroes. But they have to be presented in a way that people can relate to them. It happened with Captain America because, frankly, the guys at Disney simply really know how to make good movies. It hasn't happened for Superman, or the recent DC franchise on the big screen. Arguably the DC TV shows are giving Marvel a run for it's money. Before Arrow went to the toilet anyway.
0 x
There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit. — Ronald Reagan

User avatar
ThatOneGuy
Justice League
Posts: 1170
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:45 pm
x 261

Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Ddlo18 wrote:QR_BBPOST Ok I can get down with those thoughts, but you could make the argument that the BM series is currently the worst written character out of the trinity at the moment but yet still blows WW and SM in terms of sales, why is that the case?
Because of the nature of comics, You see unlike most other medium comics ask a lot of the readers and trust is very important factor to take into account where comics are concerned; Comics require the reader to buy an unfinished story in the hope that it will not only be finished but also be good and some characters have build up more trust in their brand than others so while Superman might be better than Batman for now that doesn't make up for all the bad stories and it doesn't mean anything in the big picture because Batman have almost 40 years of Solid story telling and Even some Great stories sometimes(some bad ones too). Tom Kings single bad run on batman isn't enough to destroy Batman's legacy and definitely not enough to make Superman outsell Batman, Superman would need Tamasi to stay on on Superman for another 7 years at least and for WB to get his next movie right and maybe he could see sales near 70,000.
That's why I am very thankful for the Wonder Woman movie because even if I as a WW fan doesn't like it I hope the mainstream audience love it so WW can get more eyes on her and DC should release a great comic around the movies release kinda like Batman 89 and Grant Morrison Arkham Asylum for new readers who like the movie to pick up and maybe some will start reading her main comic and with Rucka still on it I have faith it will be good and just like that you have new WW fans and in time she could start having Batman level sales. one can only hope.

Plus its not like Batman comics sales haven't fallen drastically under Tom King's time on the title he is prime to be the only author in almost a decade to have Batman sales lower than 100,000 so its not like people are still buying it as if it was good but because of the larger built in audience Batman has it still sells more than every other book.

Image
by; https://www.instagram.com/goth4mprincess/
1 x

User avatar
ARB
Justice League
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:13 pm
x 450

Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:04 am

ThatOneGuy wrote:QR_BBPOST Agree with you 100% I always kinda like the fact that women tend to like BMWW because I think it shows that it can be enjoyed by everyone and not just the stereotypical "Fanboy" crowd that SMWW tends to attract I always saw BMWW as the patricians Ship classy and elegant and respected by most especially writers and artist

I don't like the costume sex thing either it just strike me as impersonal and devoid of emotion which ironically is how i view Batman and Catwoman's relationship. What is your theory as to why Catwoman is more popular than Wonder woman? BMWW is just the perfect it upsets the right people and comfort the right ones....lol....jk.
Yup "Patricians" is definitely a word I would use to describe BMWW. I'm baffled that anyone could honestly hate BMWW, as both Bruce and Diana are so good to each other and respect each other immensely. Let those two lovebirds be happy together, living rich and being classy. They deserve it.

On Catwoman, well let me elaborate. This occurred to me when I saw the huge surge in popularity that Harley experienced in recent years. What's the reason why the Sirens are much more popular than someone like WW ? Exposure is definitely a factor as anything associated with Batman inevitably gets popular, but that couldn't be only it, as there are many female characters in the Batman universe and Talia for example is not all that popular despite being a big love interest to Batman and the mother of the current Robin to boot. It seems to me that Female characters who're more anti-heroes (but not too villainous though) are what resonates the most with Female readers. Characters who're either too good (E.g. WW, Black Canary, Zatanna) or too bad (E.g. Talia, Shiva, Circe) usually don't do as well. Take Cheetah for example, her popularity surged recently after her recent make over as a more tragic and sympathetic character.

I believe female characters who exhibit a lot of freedom and unpredictable behavior are what resonates with female readers. Female characters who don't play by the rules, and express a lot of freedom in their actions, in their sexuality and in being provocative in general seem to be the most popular. Even a little but of "crazy" seems to help. That's why Harley's recent makeover as a loose canon who doesn't play by the rules, but is still "badass" and sexy caused her popularity to soar. I believe female readers, probably due to the many limits and constraints placed on them by society, gravitate toward female characters who defy societal norms, and exhibit both a sense of sexiness and "danger". WW in comparison is not only too goody two shoes in comparison, but her powers and background probably make it hard for the average female reader (age 16-20) to relate.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Dick Grayson(Age 12)
Titan
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:18 pm
Location: Antarctica
x 59
Contact:

Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:26 am

ARB wrote:QR_BBPOST and it's for those idiots who grew up watching the DCAU
I prefer the term "loyal fanboys who can't seem to get over" :lol:
0 x
GL:So, what's going on between you and Diana?

Bats:Nothing. She's a respected colleague.

GL: Uh-huh.

- BMWW in a nutshell

User avatar
Dick Grayson(Age 12)
Titan
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:18 pm
Location: Antarctica
x 59
Contact:

Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:48 am

Ddlo18 wrote:QR_BBPOST Ok I can get down with those thoughts, but you could make the argument that the BM series is currently the worst written character out of the trinity at the moment but yet still blows WW and SM in terms of sales, why is that the case?
Because Batman has more good stories/movies/animated series than the other two members of the trinity combined. Not to mention he is the most developed character of the three as most writers strive to be given the opportunity to write "that Batman story" because of the character's flexibility and relatability.
0 x
GL:So, what's going on between you and Diana?

Bats:Nothing. She's a respected colleague.

GL: Uh-huh.

- BMWW in a nutshell

no avatar
Traviss
Innocent Bystander
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 6:27 am

Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Tue May 16, 2017 2:01 am

ThatOneGuy wrote:QR_BBPOST
Image
Skinny batman looks weird.
0 x

User avatar
ThatOneGuy
Justice League
Posts: 1170
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:45 pm
x 261

Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Sat May 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Traviss wrote:QR_BBPOST
ThatOneGuy wrote:QR_BBPOST
Image
Skinny batman looks weird.
Yeah it looks really weird but on the other hand overly buff Batman looks just as weird at least to me....
0 x

no avatar
NancyTarr
Innocent Bystander
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:52 am

Re: Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:55 am

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 2:16 pm
Yeah it looks really weird but on the other hand overly buff Batman looks just as weird at least to me.... Because Batman has more good stories/movies/animated series than bought another one phenq here at theskinnyvibes members of the trinity combined. Not to mention he is the most developed character of the three as most writers strive to be given the opportunity to write "that Batman story" because of the character's flexibility and relatability.
Yes, Batman looks too skinny to be a hero, and we're talking about a SuperHero! Looks funny to me. :)
Last edited by NancyTarr on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
ThatOneGuy
Justice League
Posts: 1170
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:45 pm
x 261

Re: Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:13 pm

NancyTarr wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:55 am
ThatOneGuy wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 2:16 pm
Yeah it looks really weird but on the other hand overly buff Batman looks just as weird at least to me....
Yes, Batman looks too skinny to be a hero, and we're talking about a SuperHero! Looks funny to me. :)
Looks funny indeed....Welcome to the forum by the way hope you enjoy your stay here.

Image
0 x

no avatar
NancyTarr
Innocent Bystander
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:52 am

Re: Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:35 am

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:13 pm
NancyTarr wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:55 am
ThatOneGuy wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 2:16 pm
Yeah it looks really weird but on the other hand overly buff Batman looks just as weird at least to me....
Yes, Batman looks too skinny to be a hero, and we're talking about a SuperHero! Looks funny to me. :)
Looks funny indeed....Welcome to the forum by the way hope you enjoy your stay here.

Image
Thank you SO much. I'm lovin' it! :)
0 x

no avatar
CoreyWeil
Innocent Bystander
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:38 pm

NancyTarr wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:55 am
ThatOneGuy wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 2:16 pm
Yeah it looks really weird but on the other hand overly buff Batman looks just as weird at least to me.... Because Batman has more good stories/movies/animated series than here at theskinnyvibes members of the trinity combined. Not to mention he is the most developed character of the three as most writers strive to be given the opportunity to write "that Batman story" because of the character's flexibility and relatability.
Yes, Batman looks too skinny to be a hero, and we're talking about a SuperHero! Looks funny to me. :)
Maybe, Batman was made skinny deliberately. Maybe it WAS meant to be funny. BTW, I'm new here and this is my first post. :)
0 x

User avatar
ThatOneGuy
Justice League
Posts: 1170
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:45 pm
x 261

Re: Wonder Woman...from DeviantArt

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:25 pm

CoreyWeil wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:38 pm
Maybe, Batman was made skinny deliberately. Maybe it WAS meant to be funny. BTW, I'm new here and this is my first post. :)
Welcome to the forum hope you like your stay.
0 x

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest