Moderators: Chaosmob, Isis, DaisyJane
Grendle1853
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Martian Man-Hunter

Re: Bat-books Talk

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:55 am

Lurker nomore wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:19 pm
They have the excuse already the baby that selina gave up for adoption almost two series ago was not slam bradley jr's kid but bruces all along. That is why she had the memory wipe to not know who adopted her or had child They can reintroduce her as a five year old kid who adopted parents were killed and bruce kept tabs on her and found out the truth eventually but did not mention it to selina until something like that happen. But knowing tom kings writing it will happen with selina figuring it out herself or something and bruce never knew the truth or kept tabs on the kid which he would. Well that is my take on how they will reintroduce her.
Is any of that still in canon anymore?
0 x
All thanks to Aries for helping me change my avatar.

no avatar
Lurker nomore
Teen Titan

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:00 am

they actually have never said anything on that subject either way. So they can do that if king acutally cares about good writing and continuity but I highly doubt that. Maybe some of the bat/cat fans in dc higher ups like didio might remind him so we who dislike this pairing could not argue with how they will introduce helena. Well if they have any brains on how to write believable continuity even if I do not like it.
0 x

Grendle1853
Justice League

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:19 pm

Lurker nomore wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:00 am
they actually have never said anything on that subject either way. So they can do that if king acutally cares about good writing and continuity but I highly doubt that. Maybe some of the bat/cat fans in dc higher ups like didio might remind him so we who dislike this pairing could not argue with how they will introduce helena. Well if they have any brains on how to write believable continuity even if I do not like it.
Nothing about King's run has fit with canon. Hell people who only know Batman from Super Friends would probably be better at writing the the associated characters in-character than King has.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:46 pm

Hello everyone. I wish I had some good news to bring your way after being absent for so long, but instead I have this...

0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

ARB
Justice League

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:01 pm

The_GD_Patman wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:46 pm
Hello everyone. I wish I had some good news to bring your way after being absent for so long, but instead I have this...

Hey man. Don't worry it's been ages since I've posted anything around here too. But man what a note to come back on.

Funny thing is my first reaction when I saw this was just to laugh. I'v always knows this was King's master plan from the get go. His creepy obsession with Catwoman was going to result in him doing something big eventually. It became increasingly clear that a marriage was unlikely, so the pregnancy was the only logical step he could take. Something that would leave a lasting impact. I mean look at Damian, he still exists til this day despite Talia character getting burned to the ground.

Who knows what the fallout of this garbage will be, but hey King's finally done it, he finally managed to cement his "legacy" in Batman's history. No amount of retcons will wash the stink of King's Batman off the character at this point.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:57 pm

Actually, scratch that. This is apparently from the upcoming Catwoman 80th Anniversary special. King's already teased the fact that his story will be called "Helena", so this is most likely from that book. That means this might be an Annual #2 situation, where it's a future that's only real in the hearts of the BatCats and nothing more. King has even talked about this before, about how Annual 2 is the end of "his" Batman. Basically meaning his entire run is a BatCat Elsewrolds.

Hilariously, Alfred's death (which apparently was meant to be another fake out before editorial forced King to stick with it) might end up being the only thing that has any sort of repercussions on Batman's future of all the things that happened in King's run, as short as that effect might be.

It's pretty funny how a huge milestone book celebrating Catwoman's "rich" history is getting released, and the only thing that King could think of writing is her getting impregnated by another character. The fact that this is the thing that the BatCats are jazzed about the most is pretty telling. Not sure why DC's editorial continue to give King permission to do whatever he wanted, even though it's clear they have no intention of committing to any of it.
1 x

ISAK
Titan

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:32 pm

The whole baby thing is so creepy, because if often see Batcat fans saying they'll accept anything as long as Selina can end as Batman's newest baby mama. They don't care about story potentials or even the character worth on her own. It's just the baby thing. As if that was the end all, be for Catwoman. If they can have that, and that be main canon, that's it. It's almost a fetish thing. Oh, and they're really irked by Damian Wayne's existence.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:11 pm

Yeah Damian's existence was always a sore point as a reminder of the fact that Talia got closer to ensnaring Batman than Catwoman ever did. That's what's this whole thing is about, a trap to make sure that Batman will never belong to anyone else. The desperation of the move and how much the Catwoman fanatics want it to be true is just pathetic. As you said, the point of placing characters in relationships is to open new storytelling possibilities. The fact that they're ready to jump immediately to Catwoman getting pregnant before having the two even getting married is laughable. As I've been saying for ages now, BatCat has stopped being about the characters involved years ago, now it only exists for the sake of existing, and if a baby is what's gonna take than a baby there shall be.

In any case, this is all beside the point. The artist who drew the panel is Mikel Janin who's doing the art for King's Catwoman 8th Anniversary story, so it's pretty much confirmed that this is another "What if?" scenario similar to King's Annual #2. Basically just fanfic officially published by DC. The actual BatCat book, drawn entirely by Clay Mann, will presumably be another nothing story from King where he gets to live more of his BatCat fantasies. I mean Tynion is barely three issues into his run and he's already starting to throw wrenches into King's BatCat. Nothing that inspired much confidence in DC's commitment to it.

Now that I think about, this whole thing kinda reminds me of some women who con rich guys into getting them pregnant, either to trap them into a forced marriage or extort them for money. Perhaps this whole thing will be revealed as Catwoman's greatest heist ? Steeling Bruce's money through court settlements and child support. Maybe even get a divorce and half of Bruce's fortune if a marriage ends up happening. Catwoman is truly Batman's most dangerous adversary.
1 x

Grendle1853
Justice League

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:39 pm

This is even dumber then when Marvel did it with Spiderwoman, at least she has super powers. Looking at that picture I'm just imagining a pregnant Catwoman trying to do the high flying acrobatics and end up slamming face first into a wall. That would be one way to end the pregnancy.
As far as the Helena thing, this is like no where near the worst thing Tom King has written. I have always been fine with Batman and Catwoman having a kid. Hell he had one with Talia, and it wasn't like that saved the relationship between them. Hell, hopefully this baby was conceived with Batman's consent. Otherwise this is in no way a new concept. I've always been fine with the two of them having a sexual romantic relationship for the short term. Written correctly it would usually end like this:

While having a baby might be the only thing that could temper Selina's selfish tendencies (the real thing standing in the way of the Bat/Cat relationship), that wouldn't necessarily mean if would fix whats wrong between her and Bruce. You know when a competent writer is writing them, not a hack like Tom King. Remember in the pre52 area Selina did have a daughter that was almost assuredly Bruce's, and that changed jack shit.
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:39 pm

I'll have to disagree. If you asked me 13~15 years ago (good lord where does the time go ?) I would've agreed that Catwoman should only be a temporary relationship that ends with the two realizing that it could never workout between them. However, any patience I could have for Catwoman has ran out a few years ago. I no longer believe there's any value in her character to Batman and his development. Sure, the best case scenario would be for the two to eventually break up and for Bruce to move on, but how does that benefit Bruce ? It still follows the logic that Catwoman MUST exist for whatever reason even when there's no real logic to justify it. If the idea is to have Bruce get in a relationship with someone bad in order to save them only to realize that some people simply can't change, Talia is an infinitely better and more appropriate choice. At least she's taken seriously as a villain.

The Helena thing is essentially the excuse that DC needs to never let go of BatCat. Sure Damian didn't save Talia, but nothing can save a character when editorial is hellbent on destroying it. DC allowed Morrison to project whatever deep seated issues he had about his mother, and then ran away with it. Meanwhile they tried their damnedest to protect and push Catwoman at all costs. This is a different situation. Not to mention that the already bloated Batfam might get yet another member, and a trash one at that. It's an awful move no matter how you slice it, even if it's unlikely to actually happen in this instance. Also, unlike Talia, Catwoman has nothing to fall back on if BatCat fell through, so DC is unlikely to push her to the side the way they did with Talia.

Funny you should bring up that Injustice 2 ending, because I remember the Catwoman fans were furious after seeing it. Injustice was pro BatCat until that ending happened. Here's hoping the ending is canon for Injustice 3. Once again, you're following "logic" here, and Catwoman is where logic goes to die. She can be as selfish and steal as much as she wants, but unless DC wants to break up BatCat none of that will ever affect it. That's why we have King showing her going in the middle of the night to vandalize and steal a dress, while Bruce sleeps like a moron and Alfred beams up with pride, and then that whole incident doesn't get referenced again. In a sane world her thievery and kleptomania would actually be addressed, but sadly we don't live in that world.
0 x

no avatar
devilman013
Innocent Bystander

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:30 pm

BatCat fans don’t like being reminded that a Batman/Catwoman relationship does not and should not work. She’s a thief and a criminal. She knows that and she won’t change, not even for Bruce. That ending is one of the few things DC has gotten right about Catwoman in recent years.
1 x

Bickerton
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Robin [Damian Wayne]

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:40 pm

ARB wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:11 pm

In any case, this is all beside the point. The artist who drew the panel is Mikel Janin who's doing the art for King's Catwoman 8th Anniversary story, so it's pretty much confirmed that this is another "What if?" scenario similar to King's Annual #2.
That is some fucking batman level detective work. :lol: :lol:
0 x
Grant Morrison’s “bat god” is nothing more than the Adam West Batman modernize
LM: Damian(Robin)Wayne