DC Extended Universe

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Re: DC Extended Universe

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 pm

Must say I agree with her on Flashpoint. It just doesn't fit when you are trying to establish a character and film universe, especially when your fan favorites are WW and AM and they are assholes in Flashpoint. I honestly think it even being thought of was the Geoff Johns influence and I hope they decide to scrap it (like they did him) and give us a original Flash story.
0 x
FU DC

Bat_W-fan
Titan

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:03 am

Ben Affleck:
For me, it's interesting, and I always evaluate this stuff on the merit of the material. I want to direct a "Batman" movie, and I never got a script that I was happy with, so they are starting over and writing another script. And right now, I think a lot of different possibilities I think for the way the DC Universe could go, and I will just follow my interests in pursing that. And I know that I love working with this group of people, and it was a real joy for me to make this movie.
https://www.dailysabah.com/arts-culture ... hero-films
0 x
"What defines us is how well we rise after falling"

Apolaki
Titan

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:51 pm

Oh Ben, still beating around the bush I see. Thanks for sharing that interview.
1 x
"All men have limits. They learn what they are and learn not to exceed them. I ignore mine." - Batman

theamerican
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Lobo

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:55 pm

So pretty much the films at 654 million worldwide. Wouldn’t be bad if one the film didn’t cost so much and two, it was the team up film. The good news is the foreign box office beat all the over ones except BvS even with mediocre reviews so DCEU can still limp to 400 million in box office returns which is about the requirement an average superhero film under 200 million needs to break even. The glaring hole is the domestic box office and I think it was simply because BvS and JL turned off many domestic viewers. WW remained untouch because it was an event film and a prequel film almost existing outside the current continuity.

Where does DCEU go from here now? I think with Wonder Woman 2 and Aquaman coming out that is a good sign. And Matt Reeves Batman shows promise (although I hope Ben stays). I think what DCEU needs to do is worry more about making well received solo films aiming for 600-800 million in box office overall before doing another Justice League film. We will see though
0 x
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -Patton
"A people free to choose will always choose peace. "-Ronald Reagan
"...law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."-Thomas Jefferson

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:32 am

theamerican wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:55 pm
So pretty much the films at 654 million worldwide. Wouldn’t be bad if one the film didn’t cost so much and two, it was the team up film. The good news is the foreign box office beat all the over ones except BvS even with mediocre reviews so DCEU can still limp to 400 million in box office returns which is about the requirement an average superhero film under 200 million needs to break even. The glaring hole is the domestic box office and I think it was simply because BvS and JL turned off many domestic viewers. WW remained untouch because it was an event film and a prequel film almost existing outside the current continuity.

Where does DCEU go from here now? I think with Wonder Woman 2 and Aquaman coming out that is a good sign. And Matt Reeves Batman shows promise (although I hope Ben stays). I think what DCEU needs to do is worry more about making well received solo films aiming for 600-800 million in box office overall before doing another Justice League film. We will see though
Reeves Batman is a long time coming tho, it wont even start production this year. There was a movie slated to be realesed in july this year but they scraped that aswell. In my opinion they should reboot in 2020 seeing as they are determined to have WW 2 in 2019.
0 x

Darkknightsvengence
Justice League

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:07 pm

0 x
Hail to the King Baby

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:12 am

Ava DuVernay is directing a New Gods movie at WB.... WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? How are these retards still hired there I cant fucking understand. You havent even done JL properly and you are going after the fucking New Gods and the huge mithology they are linked to???? Not to mention Wrinkle in Time flopped hard and was a terrible movie. I dont even know what the actual fuck is happening at WB, its like someone is trying to fuck over the DCEU intentionally.
0 x

no avatar
Lurker nomore
Teen Titan

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:58 pm

They could just use the name or change who the bad guys are from the orginal comics instead of an evil wonderwoman or aquaman it could be superman and batman fighting control for the world the flash goes to. Batman allies with luthor while superman and zodd work together to defeat them and try to take over the world as well with themiscyria and atlantis being allies against them.
0 x

ThatOneGuy
Justice League

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:58 pm

Decided to revive this thread because of some interesting news, firstly this image shows Snyders intent for Bruce and Diana's first meeting and I like it, especially the fact that Diana doesn't mention Steve like some crazy person obsessed with the same guy for 100 years.

Next are the tall tales that WW84 will be a flashpoint style reboot with Diana saving Steve and messing up the timeline. Honestly, I can see WB doing it. What do you guys think?
0 x

ARB
Justice League

Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:51 pm

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Next are the tall tales that WW84 will be a flashpoint style reboot with Diana saving Steve and messing up the timeline. Honestly, I can see WB doing it. What do you guys think?
As much as I hope it's not the case, I can definitely believe that this is the direction WB is taking. It sounds dumb enough to be real. This is the kind of stupidity I expect from DC, and it's disheartening to see WB fall down the same pitfalls as DC. Doing a half assed reboot, as a tacked on plot to a movie that's already finished filming sounds exactly like the kind of asinine thing I'd expect from DC/WB.

Also, dragging Steve back after giving him the absolute BEST role in a story that he's ever gotten is a huge mistake. All this in the name of shipping because people can't just let go of something. I've seen many people saying that this kind of dumb storytelling is "normal for comics where anything can happen" seemingly justifying the absurd logic behind the decision to retcon Steve's death, and despite how much I hate to admit it, they're completely right.

Now why would terrible storytelling be the norm for comics to the point that it become something to be expected from the medium is a whole different issue, but that still doesn't excuse WB's crappy attempt to justify a reboot. This is not even about my dislike for Steve or preference for BMWW, as I've all but lost hope of seeing it again in the movies. As someone who actively DISLIKES Steve as a character, I walked out from WW with him as my absolute favorite part of the movie. He outshone Diana in my opinion, why ruin that and drag him back to where he has nothing meaningful to do ? It's gonna become like the comics all over again, where Steve just hangs around doing nothing until Diana remembers he exists.

Not to mention, this reboot will probably be the excuse for WB to throw away all the interesting ideas the DCEU had. I loved the older Bruce Wayne for example, and I don't want to go back to the usual younger less experienced Bruce, just to see the same stories rehashed again. I fear the movies will become just like the comics, and I don't want that as I haven't been enjoying DC comics for the past seven years now. The DCEU represented a lot of potential for NEW things to happen, but it seems WB is intent on throwing all of that away simply because they were too incompetent to make it work. Not sure what makes them think that a reboot is all they need to magically make people fall in love with them.
0 x

no avatar
eurongreyo
Teen Titan

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:37 am

I was never a huge fan of the way DC made this cinematic universe, older Batman included. The JL tv series is still the closest thing I would want from a start to the cinematic universe and there most were around the same age. Since the DCEU is as bad as it is I wanted DC to just reboot it. Clean slate, recast everyone and start over. Not a fan of this WW movie doing the reboot idea. Firstly because some actors will stay the same and some will be recast which, for me, will be jarring and probably take me out of the movies. Secondly, a flashpoint movie would be cool to see and if they do it with WW84, even to some extent, that means we wont get a proper flashpoint movie. At the end of day this is WB/DC so even if they believe they have a great idea Ill hold my reservations because of how many times Ive been disappointed.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:34 pm

ARB wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:51 pm
ThatOneGuy wrote:
As much as I hope it's not the case, I can definitely believe that this is the direction WB is taking. It sounds dumb enough to be real. This is the kind of stupidity I expect from DC, and it's disheartening to see WB fall down the same pitfalls as DC. Doing a half assed reboot, as a tacked on plot to a movie that's already finished filming sounds exactly like the kind of asinine thing I'd expect from DC/WB.

Also, dragging Steve back after giving him the absolute BEST role in a story that he's ever gotten is a huge mistake. All this in the name of shipping because people can't just let go of something. I've seen many people saying that this kind of dumb storytelling is "normal for comics where anything can happen" seemingly justifying the absurd logic behind the decision to retcon Steve's death, and despite how much I hate to admit it, they're completely right.

Now why would terrible storytelling be the norm for comics to the point that it become something to be expected from the medium is a whole different issue, but that still doesn't excuse WB's crappy attempt to justify a reboot. This is not even about my dislike for Steve or preference for BMWW, as I've all but lost hope of seeing it again in the movies. As someone who actively DISLIKES Steve as a character, I walked out from WW with him as my absolute favorite part of the movie. He outshone Diana in my opinion, why ruin that and drag him back to where he has nothing meaningful to do ? It's gonna become like the comics all over again, where Steve just hangs around doing nothing until Diana remembers he exists.

Not to mention, this reboot will probably be the excuse for WB to throw away all the interesting ideas the DCEU had. I loved the older Bruce Wayne for example, and I don't want to go back to the usual younger less experienced Bruce, just to see the same stories rehashed again. I fear the movies will become just like the comics, and I don't want that as I haven't been enjoying DC comics for the past seven years now. The DCEU represented a lot of potential for NEW things to happen, but it seems WB is intent on throwing all of that away simply because they were too incompetent to make it work. Not sure what makes them think that a reboot is all they need to magically make people fall in love with them.
Breathe easy there dude, because several outlets (Heroic Hollywood, etc) have shot this reboot rumor down. As far as we know, the course hasn't changed.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

ISAK
Titan

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:15 pm

I doubt this will happen because what the hell they'd do about AQUAMAN and SHAZAM? They both will make some few nods to the general DCEU continuity. Do you guys really think that they'd erase future movies that they've just released?

And the reason they're bring Steve Trevor back... well, let's be honest. Chris Pines carried the WONDER WOMAN movie on his back. Everyone wants the sequel to do just as well as the first one. So instead of trying something new they're going to double down on what made WW work. That's why this time around Wonder Woman will be the one explaining the world of the 80's to a returned Steve, mirroring their dynamic in the first movie.
Steve being back messes the continuity a bit? Yes, but they don't know what else to do. They just knew they needed Chris Pine back to help them make this movie work with the audiences.

Now the question is if Steve will remain after being brought back. I doubt it, at least during the 80's since then it'd completely screw the DCEU continuity. But they can always insert an epilogue of sorts at the end of the movie where Wonder Woman find a way to finally resurrect Steve for good in modern times, just to make assure that Pine can come back for a third movie. I wouldn't put past behind them, specially from those at DC, who hate Wonderbat with a passion. We all know they've a bigger involvement now on the DCEU movies. Geoff Johns is penning the script, after all.

But we will see.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:35 pm

ISAK wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:15 pm
I doubt this will happen because what the hell they'd do about AQUAMAN and SHAZAM? They both will make some few nods to the general DCEU continuity. Do you guys really think that they'd erase future movies that they've just released?

And the reason they're bring Steve Trevor back... well, let's be honest. Chris Pines carried the WONDER WOMAN movie on his back. Everyone wants the sequel to do just as well as the first one. So instead of trying something new they're going to double down on what made WW work. That's why this time around Wonder Woman will be the one explaining the world of the 80's to a returned Steve, mirroring their dynamic in the first movie.
Steve being back messes the continuity a bit? Yes, but they don't know what else to do. They just knew they needed Chris Pine back to help them make this movie work with the audiences.

Now the question is if Steve will remain after being brought back. I doubt it, at least during the 80's since then it'd completely screw the DCEU continuity. But they can always insert an epilogue of sorts at the end of the movie where Wonder Woman find a way to finally resurrect Steve for good in modern times, just to make assure that Pine can come back for a third movie. I wouldn't put past behind them, specially from those at DC, who hate Wonderbat with a passion. We all know they've a bigger involvement now on the DCEU movies. Geoff Johns is penning the script, after all.

But we will see.
You're right about the continuity. But I really think this Wonder Woman sequel will be it for Steve. The simple fact they brought him back at all reeks of fan service. It also really makes it seem like they didn't have a lot of ideas other than repeating the cycle a second time. Trying that again is really going to seem intellectually bankrupt.

Speaking of, by the hypothetical 3rd outing we should be caught up to BvS, so it would have to be set post JL, and that film ended with Bruce and Diana making goo goo eyes at each other. Inserting Steve then both serves no purpose and adds needless complications.
0 x
“These characters were like twelve-bar blues or other chord progressions. Given the basic parameters of Batman, different creators could play very different music.”
― Grant Morrison

ISAK
Titan

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:47 pm

Hey, they could always have the movie epilogue be set after the events JUSTICE LEAGUE, with Wonder Woman finally finding a way to resurrect Steve for good, thus assuring Chris Pine involvement with any future DCEU movie. I wouldn't that past them. I can clearly see it. Steve is resurrected in the 80's, but not in an optional way, and then he has to sacrifice himself or be sacrificed again for the good of the world. It's all very tragic and bittersweet. Then it cuts to modern times, which is set after all the DCEU movies, and this time Diana finally found a way of bringing Steve back for good. The movie then ends with Diana and Steve reunited and happy. This way the continuity is intact and Chris Pine can remain around.

I'm not saying it will end up like that, but it is a possibility. Specially if you believe the rumors that WB wants to do away with Superman (Henry Carvill) and Batman (Ben Affleck), and focus their attention more on other characters like a solo Supergirl movie.

But like i said, who knows? Hell, they might be delaying the movie so they can film a cameo starring Ben Affleck, for all we know.
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:08 pm

ISAK wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:47 pm
Hey, they could always have the movie epilogue be set after the events JUSTICE LEAGUE, with Wonder Woman finally finding a way to resurrect Steve for good, thus assuring Chris Pine involvement with any future DCEU movie. I wouldn't that past them. I can clearly see it. Steve is resurrected in the 80's, but not in an optional way, and then he has to sacrifice himself or be sacrificed again for the good of the world. It's all very tragic and bittersweet. Then it cuts to modern times, which is set after all the DCEU movies, and this time Diana finally found a way of bringing Steve back for good. The movie then ends with Diana and Steve reunited and happy. This way the continuity is intact and Chris Pine can remain around.

I'm not saying it will end up like that, but it is a possibility. Specially if you believe the rumors that WB wants to do away with Superman (Henry Carvill) and Batman (Ben Affleck), and focus their attention more on other characters like a solo Supergirl movie.

But like i said, who knows? Hell, they might be delaying the movie so they can film a cameo starring Ben Affleck, for all we know.
They could bring him back, but it would serve no long term purpose, he would serve no purpose. He's a better motivation dead than alive. No, I think having him pop back up is to justify her mentions of him in JL and dial down to obsession factor of what would otherwise seem like an immortal woman carrying a torch for the first guy she met for 100 years.
0 x
― Grant Morrison

DaisyJane
Justice League
Justice League Membership: Donna Troy

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:19 pm

Another nail in the coffin of seeing anymore BMWW in the DCEU:

https://batman-news.com/2019/02/28/warn ... ur-future/
0 x
FU DC

no avatar
ObiWanTran
Titan

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:04 pm

DaisyJane wrote:

*Sigh* why does this always happen to us...
0 x

The_GD_Patman
Titan

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:16 pm

DaisyJane wrote:

Meh, that's pretty vague. And BatmanNews.com is about as credible as Tom King is competent. So I'm taking that bit with a few grains of salt.
0 x
― Grant Morrison

ISAK
Titan

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:27 pm

Well, we already know that Shazam at least have tons of little references to Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, and even news about Batman and Wonder Woman teaming up. So you can cross Shazam from it. That leaves Wonder Woman84 and Birds of Prey. So the question is, will there be references to Batman in Wonder Woman84? Will there be references to Wonder Woman in Birds of Prey (Batman is a given)?

The only concrete answer is that they won't do a Justice League 2 any soon, but even that isn't set in stone.
1 x